The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Good posts and precisely the sort of thing that Brexiteers will a) bury their head in the sand about then b) demand to know why they were duped so badly when things go pear shaped.

Why are you so convinced that things will go badly?

I'm excited about our future and believe that not only will we make a go of things, but given time, we will thrive. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, maxjam said:

I'm excited about our future and believe that not only will we make a go of things, but given time, we will thrive. 

He's trying to convince himself so he is proven right so he can massage his ego. 

Don't we have the best expected growth figures? 

1 minute ago, Norman said:

You know everything. Why debate on here when you have all the crystal balls and facts. And you know exactly what I know and don't know about what needs to be done along with 17.4 million others. How do you do it? Or does the Guardian tell you all this? 

We've left now and we still haven't heard what the plan is except for empty slogans like 'take back control' and 'get brexit done'. There are very few people involved in sorting out Brexit with any reasonable experience in politics and/or business. They would be totally unprepared for normal government, let alone sorting out this Brexit mess.

I guess they may have a great plan that they've been keeping quiet about for years. It feels more like Johnson, Gove etc are just average journalists who backed Brexit to get power and are still slightly surprised they won. And they are going to get all shirty when people want answers.

1 hour ago, Shipley Ram said:

Very few people have any idea of the complex problems and decisions we face, and the whole brexit debate has been dominated by simple slogans. People who have a clue, like Ivan Rogers, have been sidelined, this isn't going tp be an smooth ride.

To quote an informed brexiter

"The problem here is far more serious than I ever thought. We have a dire government with even worse opposition which is never good but we have an incompetent incurious media. That, though, is only half the problem. The media has abandoned its obligation to inform largely because the public have given up on being informed."

https://peterjnorth.blogspot.com/2020/01/sleepwalking-into-chaos.html

https://peterjnorth.blogspot.com/2020/01/a-new-phase-but-same-ignorance-prevails.html

Not sure anyone on here has any illusion that there are difficult problems and decisions to face. If only the EU had listened when reforms were needed and stayed as a simple trading block. 

Should we not do anything if it means choices have to be made?

6 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Let's hope so. The people in charge seem totally incompetent to me. Remember way back in time when Jeremy Hunt was a bit of a joke character. He looks like a titan compared to people in the current cabinet.

Brexit could be a success with good people involved, but that would be difficult and require compromise and negotiations. We have the dregs in charge.

2 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Not sure anyone on here has any illusion that there are difficult problems and decisions to face.

Maybe you don't. And maybe more on here don't either as everyone is fairly engaged. However, millions of leave voters are in for a rude awakening.

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Read it, same old croc of poo from a Remainer.. 

What was so earth shattering that would make us Leavers be afraid?

My fave bit was when he pointed out that the uk ourselves decided to implement most of the things that make Brexiteers hate the EU.

11 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

We've left now and we still haven't heard what the plan is except for empty slogans like 'take back control' and 'get brexit done'. There are very few people involved in sorting out Brexit with any reasonable experience in politics and/or business. They would be totally unprepared for normal government, let alone sorting out this Brexit mess.

I guess they may have a great plan that they've been keeping quiet about for years. It feels more like Johnson, Gove etc are just average journalists who backed Brexit to get power and are still slightly surprised they won. And they are going to get all shirty when people want answers.

Yes, they do it all themselves. They have no advisors and the country has no civil servants. 

Also, complaining about lack of business sense and experience all sounds very Nigel Faragey

42 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

My fave bit was when he pointed out that the uk ourselves decided to implement most of the things that make Brexiteers hate the EU.

So you are saying we are the leading country that everyone should follow well let’s hope that’s true for the EU. Happy Brexit day everyone.

Utter bilge if you can force yourself to read it;

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-nigel-farage-parliament-square-a9312436.html

In a complete reversal of what The Independant article tries to argue, Brexiteers are largely positive about the future, believe that we can succeed outside of the EU and the UK will become a better place for all - whereas that article insinuates the thick, racist sterotypes that have been thrown around for the past several years and accuses Brexiteers of sowing division.

It is a digusting piece and achieves nothing other than furthering the division.

'Come together?  Sorry, but no thanks'

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Not sure anyone on here has any illusion that there are difficult problems and decisions to face. If only the EU had listened when reforms were needed and stayed as a simple trading block. 

Should we not do anything if it means choices have to be made?

But I think you're wrong there. A lot of the rhetoric about brexit is that the trading bloc is (somehow?) too restrictive and that we will flourish without it. The leave campaign were making comparisons with Norway and Switzerland who were described as models to follow. This was then switched out when the responsibilities and obligations of being in a collective was going to be incompatible with the rest of the sovereignty and freedom arguments. 

37 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Utter bilge if you can force yourself to read it;

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-nigel-farage-parliament-square-a9312436.html

In a complete reversal of what The Independant article tries to argue, Brexiteers are largely positive about the future, believe that we can succeed outside of the EU and the UK will become a better place for all - whereas that article insinuates the thick, racist sterotypes that have been thrown around for the past several years and accuses Brexiteers of sowing division.

It is a digusting piece and achieves nothing other than furthering the division.

'Come together?  Sorry, but no thanks'

He's not very bitter is he?!

33 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

But I think you're wrong there. A lot of the rhetoric about brexit is that the trading bloc is (somehow?) too restrictive and that we will flourish without it. The leave campaign were making comparisons with Norway and Switzerland who were described as models to follow. This was then switched out when the responsibilities and obligations of being in a collective was going to be incompatible with the rest of the sovereignty and freedom arguments. 

If it had just stayed as a trading block, I would guess that any referendum would have had a resounding remain outcome. That does not mean that it would be perfect but the main issues would not be there. 

23 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

If it had just stayed as a trading block, I would guess that any referendum would have had a resounding remain outcome. That does not mean that it would be perfect but the main issues would not be there. 

So true a very valid point sadly missed by the EU supporters 

Archived