The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

You dont have to eat it though do you?

Not the point. We said we are not willing to accept it and the US are telling us we will be having it anyway if we want a deal.

Can you not see how this would set a worrying trend as the deal gets thrashed out? We can't compete with the US at the same level so they will get the things they really want in the end. We will get whatever they decide to let us have. We are not in control of this deal, they are.

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Not the point. We said we are not willing to accept it and the US are telling us we will be having it anyway if we want a deal.

Can you not see how this would set a worrying trend as the deal gets thrashed out? We can't compete with the US at the same level so they will get the things they really want in the end. We will get whatever they decide to let us have. We are not in control of this deal, they are.

I thought that is how deals work?

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I thought that is how deals work?

Where the side that is much larger dictates to the smaller party the terms of the deal? Pretty much. Conveniently for the US we have just put ourselves in a position where we are ripe for exploiting.

A deal with the US that works in our best interest would involve dealing with them from a position of strength, given our relative size that wont be happening so prepare for them to try and push us as hard as possible on our red lines. I suspect most of them will be crossed pretty quickly.

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Where the side that is much larger dictates to the smaller party the terms of the deal? Pretty much. Conveniently for the US we have just put ourselves in a position where we are ripe for exploiting.

A deal with the US that works in our best interest would involve dealing with them from a position of strength, given our relative size that wont be happening so prepare for them to try and push us as hard as possible on our red lines. I suspect most of them will be crossed pretty quickly.

You must be glad that we left the EU then?

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Are you deliberately not addressing the point I am trying to make? 

Yes but it's a complete nothingness point in my opinion.

When doing deals with anyone there are concessions on both sides.

Of course the US are going to be doing the deal from a position strength.

Do you think we got everything we ever wanted from the EU?

20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes but it's a complete nothingness point in my opinion.

When doing deals with anyone there are concessions on both sides.

Of course the US are going to be doing the deal from a position strength.

Do you think we got everything we ever wanted from the EU?

There will be significantly more concessions on our side than theirs. They will get what they want or we wont get a deal. They don't need us, we need them.

Just now, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

There will be significantly more concessions on our side than theirs. They will get what they want or we wont get a deal. They don't need us, we need them.

They are the bigger market, so yes that is to be expected.

As @Angry Ram pointed out though, if nobody is eating the stuff then they will stop exporting it here.

Are you deliberately not addressing the same issue with us in the EU?

Do you remember what happened when David Cameron tried to get some concessions from them?

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

They are the bigger market, so yes that is to be expected.

As @Angry Ram pointed out though, if nobody is eating the stuff then they will stop exporting it here.

Are you deliberately not addressing the same issue with us in the EU?

Do you remember what happened when David Cameron tried to get some concessions from them?

The food exports are one issue, when the US know they can push us on our red lines other demands will appear. The NHS being one of them.

Deals a former PM made or tried to make with Europe are a total irrelevance at this point. The deal we need to do is relevant and once again they will be in a position of strength, not us. I do however believe the EU will be less demanding and less transactional than the US. If the current US administration dont get exactly what they want then the deal doesnt happen.

The food exports are one issue, when the US know they can push us on our red lines other demands will appear. The NHS being one of them.

Deals a former PM made or tried to make with Europe are a total irrelevance at this point. The deal we need to do is relevant and once again they will be in a position of strength, not us. I do however believe the EU will be less demanding and less transactional than the US. If the current US administration dont get exactly what they want then the deal doesnt happen.

Ah the NHS again...this despite both parties saying it is not on the table!

If we dont get a deal with America so be it, plenty of other markets out there.

I'd hate to think we would turn down a deal with a market that big though because people cant be bothered to read labelling on food packaging.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ah the NHS again...this despite both parties saying it is not on the table!

If we dont get a deal with America so be it, plenty of other markets out there.

I'd hate to think we would turn down a deal with a market that big though because people cant be bothered to read labelling on food packaging.

Expecting the NHS to be totally off the table in a comprehensive US/UK trade deal is incredibly naive, especially when dealing with an administration with a track record of dishonesty.

The food thing is a concession we can make, it wont be the last one they demand.

Expecting the NHS to be totally off the table in a comprehensive US/UK trade deal is incredibly naive, especially when dealing with an administration with a track record of dishonesty.

The food thing is a concession we can make, it wont be the last one they demand.

Expecting the NHS to be on the table just because of Johnson/Trump is incredibly blinkered.

Both are clever enough to weigh up public opinion and realise it would be political suicide.

You wasnt bothered about the past in your last post but now want to talk about track records?

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

When you walk into into Tesco, do they tell you what to purchase.. The Yanks might want chicken on the table and it might well be part of any deal. No biggie, if you want it, it’s there, if not buy another sort. 
There is always a party with a stronger position in any negotiation, nothing new there. It will be a tough deal to do, tariffs for some products might reduce and you can buy a yank car cheaper., If you want to. You are the consumer, you have the power.

The NHS, although I don’t know how many times it’s been stated it’s not on the table, are also a consumer. If they can buy cheaper some drugs and products, why not? 

12 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Did you read the letter?

“We do not tolerate people speaking other languages”

”you infected this once great country”

”return to [your country]” if you speak another language

”evolve or leave”

Yes I did.

https://news.sky.com/story/happy-brexit-day-poster-telling-people-to-speak-english-reported-to-police-11924342

Depending on how you sit on the fence is how some react to this kind of thing.

This is another incident but I can only tell you, Nothing of physical evidence.

This is the lead up to the story.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/live-updates-broad-street-flooded-16984794

My friend was working on this project along with several Indian agency workers, It cost an estimated £14 million in damage, The Indian workers when on a break only spoke in their Mother tongue, It caused a huge rift in the cabin so much so that another cabin was ordered and the Indian workers ate in there.

All the Indian workers had all the documentation they needed to operate ALL equipment, One of them was given plans to dig up that part of the road, Unfortunately he had trouble reading it, He dug down to deep and fractured the water pipe, An investigation was launched and found all documetation was forged and false for 3 of the Indian workforce.

2 wrongs don't make a right, It does help if you can speak/understand your adopted homelands language.

7 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Expecting Johnson and Trump to stick to their word is incredibly blinkered.

Yeah it could well be.

The beauty of it all is that if he doesnt I can do something about it at the ballot box in the next General Election.

11 minutes ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

Yes I did.

https://news.sky.com/story/happy-brexit-day-poster-telling-people-to-speak-english-reported-to-police-11924342

Depending on how you sit on the fence is how some react to this kind of thing.

This is another incident but I can only tell you, Nothing of physical evidence.

This is the lead up to the story.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/live-updates-broad-street-flooded-16984794

My friend was working on this project along with several Indian agency workers, It cost an estimated £14 million in damage, The Indian workers when on a break only spoke in their Mother tongue, It caused a huge rift in the cabin so much so that another cabin was ordered and the Indian workers ate in there.

All the Indian workers had all the documentation they needed to operate ALL equipment, One of them was given plans to dig up that part of the road, Unfortunately he had trouble reading it, He dug down to deep and fractured the water pipe, An investigation was launched and found all documetation was forged and false for 3 of the Indian workforce.

2 wrongs don't make a right, It does help if you can speak/understand your adopted homelands language.

You’re trying to compare not being able to read English and faking documentation with speaking a foreign language in residential buildings. 

15 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

When you walk into into Tesco, do they tell you what to purchase.. The Yanks might want chicken on the table and it might well be part of any deal. No biggie, if you want it, it’s there, if not buy another sort. 
There is always a party with a stronger position in any negotiation, nothing new there. It will be a tough deal to do, tariffs for some products might reduce and you can buy a yank car cheaper., If you want to. You are the consumer, you have the power.

The NHS, although I don’t know how many times it’s been stated it’s not on the table, are also a consumer. If they can buy cheaper some drugs and products, why not? 

The good thing is that the NHS wont need to spend so much on drugs because everyone will have died from being force fed chlorinated chicken.

Archived