The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

On 22/05/2020 at 12:03, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

What do you mean buddy? Are you asking whether immigrants and asylum seekers are being security checked? Also what do you mean by 'beliefs'? 

On the latter query, how would we go about checking people's belief systems? I'm guessing you mean affiliations not 'beliefs' and if so, I can assure you that any individuals are flagged up by any or the security services as being linked to undesirable or terrorist organisations, are soon shown the door. Even then however, the classification of some groups as being terrorist organisations by Western governments and the US and UK specifically, can be a little 'subjective'. Some groups are labelled this way simply because they are at odds with US and UK 'interests' so I'd argue that in this regard, checks may often be overly invasive rather than too lax.

It's also important to understand that most terrorist activity and terrorist cells in the UK are perpetrated by UK nationals and not by individuals who have crossed borders. In this regard, radicalisation of disaffected ethic groups within the UK is a far greater threat to national security than lax border controls.

The very small percentage of individuals who do come to the UK for unsavoury reasons, will generally tend to avoid any scrutiny so we can safely assume the asylum route at least, will not be their preferred methodology. Quite the opposite. They will instead try and breach our borders without any interaction with customs and immigration units. Unfortunately, so will a lot of folk who simply don't believe they will be granted asylum or any form of work visa and it is not straightforward trying to sort the innocent from those who mean us harm. Worse still, this is also true of the asylum process.

Setting aside the 'beliefs' aspect for and to offer 'balance', it is clear that organised criminal gangs have sent groups of affiliated individuals to the UK but then it's not just the UK that is being targeted, far from it. Because of they way these groups fund their activities, once here they are able to stay off-grid because they don't need jobs or benefits. In fact, they avoid anything that creates a footprint as drugs, extortion, and human trafficking are cash businesses. Rather their 'activities' disctate that staying under the radar for as long as possible is mandatory. I'd like to see a greater focus on these groups as despite the protestations of some on here, us lefties really don't want a 'blanket policy' that leaves borders wide open to criminals or terrorists, far from it, but it seems 'softer targets' are very much the government's priority at present. I believe the reasoning behind this strategy is about politics than any real desire to protect the UK public.

Maybe ask Sweden how they are getting on with their statistic (second only to South Africa)

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I meant to put quotes around 'facts' but 'latest facts' was meant to imply the story is changing and @Chester40  seemed to agree he hasn't know the latest "facts" when defending C*mmings. I was suggesting @Eddie had been a bit quick to bring down his ignore hammer.

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think anyone cares if they get put on ignore by eddie.

35 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The defense for Dominic Cummings needing to get childcare doesn't work for me. If the rest of the country isn't allowed, what makes him so special? Is it a case of do as I say and not as I do? 

Perhaps everyone with 2nd homes/parents with isolated houses on their estate got a different version of the rules posted to them?

17 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Schapps trying his best but a tough jobs been left to him today from bojo. 

The rest of the cabinet are probably laughing at him at home. 

Except Johnson, who's hiding in the fridge. Someone told him Andrew Neil would be at the press conference.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Irrelevant questions?

No, not irrelevant. But rather than watch 4 different media outlets ask the same question, I'd rather see them using their common sense and change their question so the general public can listen to something worthwhile rather than a politician having to repeat themselves 4 times.

Also think it is highly unprofessional to try and get a scientific/medical officer to try and comment on a specific individual case.

29 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Cummings going nowhere then it seems. 

One rule for him, another rule for everyone else. Pathetic. 

What is the rule that is for him and not for the others?

He broke the rules and was visited by the police (allegedly), what action did the police take out of interest? I think they said they didnt take action didnt they?

Not defending Cummings here by the way. But I've now visited my parents (and applied common sense) so I dont think the rules that he is using are any different to the rules that I am using.

20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52782913

The irony of all of the reporters stood shoulder to shoulder questioning somebody breaking the social distancing rules isnt wasted on me.

I assume they will all be resigning in the morning too?

And there was me wondering when you would get round to trying obfuscate through whataboutery.

Have you used the word 'hypocrisy' today yet?

Archived