The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

What is the rule that is for him and not for the others?

He broke the rules and was visited by the police (allegedly), what action did the police take out of interest? I think they said they didnt take action didnt they?

Not defending Cummings here by the way. But I've now visited my parents (and applied common sense) so I dont think the rules that he is using are any different to the rules that I am using.

Did you and your partner almost certainly have Coronavirus when you visited them? And did they live over 200 miles away? And was this visit during the peak infection and death period.

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Looks like the didn’t report the whole story last night...

Cummings being outfoxed by the media is proper karma. It allows all the yes men who defended him now perform the necessary u-turn and take the moral high ground. 

University College London professor Susan Michie, a member of Sage, told Sky News there was no question that what Cummings had done broke the guidance. “It appears that three rules have been broken. One is leaving the house when you’re symptomatic, another is travelling far distances and staying overnight elsewhere, and the third is having a person – in this case a child – go from one household to another household. The problem about having different rules for different people is that it breaks the trust of the people in those who are issuing the guidelines.”

"Two new witnesses were revealed in a joint investigation by the Guardian/Observer and the Sunday Mirror.

One saw him in Durham on 19 April, days after Cummings was photographed in London having recovered from the virus.

A week earlier Cummings was seen by another witness in Barnard Castle on Easter Day, 30 miles away from Durham, the investigation found. The town, which takes its name from the English Heritage site at its centre, is a popular destination for days out.

Robin Lees, 70, a retired chemistry teacher from the town, says he saw Cummings and his family walking by the Tees before getting into a car around lunch time on 12 April.

Lees said: “I was a bit gobsmacked to see him, because I know what he looks like. And the rest of the family seemed to match - a wife and child. I was pretty convinced it was him and it didn’t seem right because I assumed he would be in London.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/23/new-witnesses-cast-doubt-on-dominic-cummingss-lockdown-claims

55 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

How many of those reporters were involved in making the rules which we are all supposed to abide ? 

None, I would imagine. Does that mean they dont have to follow them either?

Any evidence for Cummings being involved in making the rules?

45 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

And there was me wondering when you would get round to trying obfuscate through whataboutery.

Have you used the word 'hypocrisy' today yet?

You do make me laugh.

Not used hypocrisy today, getting pointless using it when it is on display so much.

30 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

How many of them also knew they had Coronavirus?

So you only have to social distance if you know you have coronavirus? Are you going to be applying that rule to the re-opening of schools too then?

35 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Did you and your partner almost certainly have Coronavirus when you visited them? And did they live over 200 miles away? And was this visit during the peak infection and death period.

Dont have a partner.

No idea, not been tested.

No they dont live 200 miles away.

No after peak periods. 

All irrelevant though. Rules are rules arent they?

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Dont have a partner.

No idea, not been tested.

No they dont live 200 miles away.

No after peak periods. 

All irrelevant though. Rules are rules arent they?

You said earlier that you weren't defending Cummings - fair enough. I know you're exercising your right to call out other posters who you think are being overly critical of his action

So - would you agree that it all just seems a bit off? In so much as we have the PM's chief adviser been caught flouting lockdown rules

So when you read this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52782913

and the jist is Cummings tells reporters that he is not going to quit - should it really be up to him?

We have to believe that Boris Johnson is his superior, and it should be his call, not Cummings call?

We talked about leadership qualities the other day. Surely Johnson has to sack him. Not only does it pour shame on 10 Downing Street that such a senior adviser has been caught doing exactly what the government have told the entire nation NOT to do, but also it now looks as if Cummings is the one calling the shots, which makes Johnson look like the subordinate. Makes him look weak. Makes him look like he agrees that it's one rule for them and another for all of us. 

I think it's a dangerous path to go down if we end up with a government that does what it likes and answers to no one, whilst expecting us to do exactly as we're told. There is a name for that kind of government

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Cummings has got to go. There is no defending him after today, if Boris doesn't get rid of him it indicates to me that the Tories think they're above the rest of us.

I wont become one of the bloody thirsty crowd demanding he lose his job but think I agree, especially in light of the previous resignations in similar circumstances. 

I wonder what people would do in similar circumstances though?

2 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

You said earlier that you weren't defending Cummings - fair enough. I know you're exercising your right to call out other posters who you think are being overly critical of his action

So - would you agree that it all just seems a bit off? In so much as we have the PM's chief adviser been caught flouting lockdown rules

So when you read this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52782913

and the jist is Cummings tells reporters that he is not going to quit - should it really be up to him?

We have to believe that Boris Johnson is his superior, and it should be his call, not Cummings call?

We talked about leadership qualities the other day. Surely Johnson has to sack him. Not only does it pour shame on 10 Downing Street that such a senior adviser has been caught doing exactly what the government have told the entire nation NOT to do, but also it now looks as if Cummings is the one calling the shots, which makes Johnson look like the subordinate. Makes him look weak. Makes him look like he agrees that it's one rule for them and another for all of us. 

I think it's a dangerous path to go down if we end up with a government that does what it likes and answers to no one, whilst expecting us to do exactly as we're told. There is a name for that kind of government

See my post above

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

I wont become one of the bloody thirsty crowd demanding he lose his job but think I agree, especially in light of the previous resignations in similar circumstances. 

Just to be clear from my previous post - I don't have a bloodthirst for him to go.  just think we should all be worried if he stays

When your boss says this

EYuClqgXsAAdm_p?format=jpg&name=large

and you get caught doing the opposite....if your boss doesn't fire you. Then it's clear who the real boss is

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm always one to give the benefit of the doubt, but if tonights press has any truth he can't possibly stay on.

If for no other reason it will dominate things until he does quit or be sacked, and at this time I don't think we need the distraction.

11 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Just to be clear from my previous post - I don't have a bloodthirst for him to go.  just think we should all be worried if he stays

When your boss says this

and you get caught doing the opposite....if your boss doesn't fire you. Then it's clear who the real boss is

Cant have double standards. Its all confusing enough as it is.

Either rules have been broken in which case ther should be some sanction applied.

Or "guidelines" have been broken in which case why was the govt frightening us all to death that they were really very important "rules"?

14 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

When your boss says this

Did he meet his family members?

Didnt sound like it from what was said earlier but who knows what the truth is.

Right leaning media will make it sound like it was the right thing to do and had no risk.

Left leaning media will make it sound like he hosted a full family party and spat in every member of his familys face.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

And what does she do?

Would she still be working and unable to look after the kid?

She could probably pop to the shops and get some supplies in. Fair enough, if she and a partner are both key workers, they might struggle to look after Cummings junior if both parents become so ill they can't look after him. Perhaps his aide can help who lives 2 streets away?

Archived