The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If Dominic Cummings has acted legally, I imagine there will be quite a few people out there expecting to have fines revoked!

Has anybody been fined for purely driving in a car to isolate. 

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure anyone knows the facts, just things that they have read in the media, and the media they choose is most likely to support their political leanings.

I meant to put quotes around 'facts' but 'latest facts' was meant to imply the story is changing and @Chester40  seemed to agree he hasn't know the latest "facts" when defending C*mmings. I was suggesting @Eddie had been a bit quick to bring down his ignore hammer.

15 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Maybe its not as bad as some media are reporting, and maybe its not the worst crime BUT I cannot believe, especially with his position in government, that provision could not have been made to ensure food supplies were delivered to his home.

Of course he will be concerned for his child, but how many families have been affected by coronavirus and NOT made a 200 mile trip. I know a couple who one had suspected coronavirus, a young child aged 2, and they didnt rush off to parents, they stayed at home, isolated as you should, neighbours rallied round are made sure they had food and necessities.

What if he had an accident, or a breakdown on the 200 miles trip?

Should he lose his job? Many will think so, I would say probably not, but I am just amazed he decided to do this at a time we were demanding people stay at home....he didn't.

Did he not want to protect his son from getting the virus so he could isolate him from them .

Where else could have isolated in said manner. 

I presume he weighed up the situation and came to that decision.

He was also pretty ill with the Covid 19 virus which is just horrible 

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Would anyone on here drive 200 plus miles to stay with older parents and get a family member to look after your kid if you and your partner almost certainly had coronovirus virus?

What was our esteemed governments advice in this situation to families who found themselves in this situation? 

I'm not trying to justify what has happened but when the coronavirus scare begin my wife and I did wonder what would happen to our 2 kids, dog and 8 chickens if we developed a bad case at the same time.  Not only would we potentially be fearing for our lives but we'd also be frantically trying to make arrangements to ensure our family and pets were looked after in our absence.

5 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Did he not want to protect his son from getting the virus so he could isolate him from them .

Driving up in the car would be good isolation for the kid?

7 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I'm sure anyone would want to protect their children but at no point in time was the advice to offload your kids if you had symptoms.

From day one the advice was stay at home and isolate.

There is no spinning it. They either admit that the guidance was rubbish, or the guidance has been breached. Simple as that.

Sith Happens
8 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I'm not sure that would protect him, surely by that time if he is going to catch it he would. 

I agree it's awful he had covid 19, and I have sympathy for him,  but I just can't believe he needed to drive that far,  as far as I know his son remained with them even up there so no different really.

4 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I'm not trying to justify what has happened but when the coronavirus scare begin my wife and I did wonder what would happen to our 2 kids, dog and 8 chickens if we developed a bad case at the same time.  Not only would we potentially be fearing for our lives but we'd also be frantically trying to make arrangements to ensure our family and pets were looked after in our absence.

Yeah, it would be a difficult situation. Think that's why the government introduced the lockdown so people wouldn't spread the virus to other family members, especially older vulnerable parents.

Surprised they didn't give out any explicit advice on what would happen in your situation. They probably didn't think of that though as they knew if it happened to them, they would just break the rules.

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I'm not sure that would protect him, surely by that time if he is going to catch it he would. 

I agree it's awful he had covid 19, and I have sympathy for him,  but I just can't believe he needed to drive that far,  as far as I know his son remained with them even up there so no different really.

Like I say I was being devil’s advocate.

I am sure the media will snare their man. 

Sad time around really. 

6 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Yeah, it would be a difficult situation. Think that's why the government introduced the lockdown so people wouldn't spread the virus to other family members, especially older vulnerable parents.

Surprised they didn't give out any explicit advice on what would happen in your situation. They probably didn't think of that though as they knew if it happened to them, they would just break the rules.

I bet you are the model of virtue 

You will be happy when the media snare their man as they will. 

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm sure anyone would want to protect their children but at no point in time was the advice to offload your kids if you had symptoms.

From day one the advice was stay at home and isolate.

There is no spinning it. They either admit that the guidance was rubbish, or the guidance has been breached. Simple as that.

Johnson and C*mmings relationship will be interesting after this.

If your boss had been bragging about shaking hands with Covid sufferers in hospital, you'd be a bit fed up that you and the wife both caught it.

Or if C*mmings had told Johnson to shake people's hands, then he might be a bit fed up seen as he had a pregnant wife at the time.

They are clearly using Hancock as the whipping boy after infecting him too. I'm guessing the Chancellor had more sense than jumping in the same team bath/playing the biscuit game/whatever they were actually doing.

Then you have one of the chief medical experts meeting up for some fun with a women who had a family to go back too.

And to think many of these people were behind Brexit, a huge selling point been that the elites had lost touch with normal people outside of the Westminster/London bubble!

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Johnson and C*mmings relationship will be interesting after this.

If your boss had been bragging about shaking hands with Covid sufferers in hospital, you'd be a bit fed up that you and the wife both caught it.

Or if C*mmings had told Johnson to shake people's hands, then he might be a bit fed up seen as he had a pregnant wife at the time.

They are clearly using Hancock as the whipping boy after infecting him too. I'm guessing the Chancellor had more sense than jumping in the same team bath/playing the biscuit game/whatever they were actually doing.

Then you have one of the chief medical experts meeting up for some fun with a women who had a family to go back too.

And to think many of these people were behind Brexit, a huge selling point been that the elites had lost touch with normal people outside of the Westminster/London 

Left wing claptrap 

12 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Apparently Cummings has already said that it is all "fake news" and a plot by the commies at the Guardian to get him into trouble. Where have we heard that one before?

And here's a full quote for you before you start getting your knickers in a twist.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/dominic-cummings-breaking-lockdown-investigation-a4449111.html

6 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Think the last time you were on this thread was saying when May would trounce Labour in the General Election.

I am clearly not claiming to be a model of virtue by saying I wouldn't have driven across the country whilst pretty sure both my and wife had Coronavirus!

How can you not see the irony in saying the media will 'snare their man' as if C*mmings is an unfortunate celebrity who has just been unlucky. His life is using the media for his own ends!

Surprised that you weren't on here saying how the media 'snared their man' when the story came out about the medical guy who was having the lockdown affair. 

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

Think the last time you were on this thread was saying when May would trounce Labour in the General Election.

I am clearly not claiming to be a model of virtue by saying I wouldn't have driven across the country whilst pretty sure both my and wife had Coronavirus!

How can you not see the irony in saying the media will 'snare their man' as if C*mmings is an unfortunate celebrity who has just been unlucky. His life is using the media for his own ends!

Surprised that you weren't on here saying how the media 'snared their man' when the story came out about the medical guy who was having the lockdown affair. 

No get your stats right. 

PS Anyone would think the Tories won a landslide. 

5 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Left wing claptrap 

Apart from the obvious joke about team baths/biscuit, which parts do you think are claptrap? Or even left wing?

You are aware that Cummings is not very popular with plenty of traditional Conservatives too? I'm sure you hero May would have very little time for him or his methods.

I can't imagine former Tory ministers are looking at what has been going on over the last few months and think it been in any way competent.

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

Apart from the obvious joke about team baths/biscuit, which parts do you think are claptrap? Or even left wing?

You are aware that Cummings is not very popular with plenty of traditional Conservatives too? I'm sure you hero May would have very little time for him or his methods.

I can't imagine former Tory ministers are looking at what has been going on over the last few months and think it been in any way competent.

Well no problem you will be there to tell them all of this. 

For what it’s worth I don’t like arch remainer Starmer either 

Incredible that C*mmings holds so much sway that senior cabinet member are supporting him. He must have some proper dirt on them. Imagine what he must know about Johnson alone!

Shows how few friends he must have if he needed his sister in the north east to get shopping for him. Surely there are processes in government too to support people in power who become ill?

Feeling this all might come to a head soon.

There is incompetency everywhere and the cracks are becoming ever more exposed, with that the amount of goodwill shown by the public fades further and further. Johnson is the UK leader when it suits, the cabinet are largely an embarrassment of confusion (although for balance I don’t mind Hancock overall who I atleast think has a conscience), Kuennsberg at the BBC is losing allies fast because of her actions and Cummings is a dangerous piece of **** who’s obsessed with control.

We knew all this before, let’s be honest but this pandemic has brought it to the front. It’s getting worse by the week at the minute, it’ll be interesting how long they can hold it all back before the flood comes through the door.

Archived