The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

So @G STAR RAM if you 'Couldnt care less if people come round to my way of thinking'

Why are you on here all day trying to persuade people to come around to you way of thinking?

You're really not very good at this debating malarkey, are you?

6 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Are you on the ale?

People in glass houses....

9 hours ago, Andicis said:

It's not taking back control, I admit, but is it a bad thing to sanction China after all they've done? I feel like that is in line.

Overall, if the choice is between China and US, it will be US everytime especially once the orange buffoon is gone. When it comes to trade specifically taking back control is a bit more problematic because UK alone vs US or China will always be the smaller player in any negotiations. Britain was once part of a trading bock that could try to front up to the big 2 but that ship has sailed.

7 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Overall, if the choice is between China and US, it will be US everytime especially once the orange buffoon is gone. When it comes to trade specifically taking back control is a bit more problematic because UK alone vs US or China will always be the smaller player in any negotiations. Britain was once part of a trading bock that could try to front up to the big 2 but that ship has sailed.

China already has a huge trade surplus with the rest of the world, and it has invested a large proportion of its earnings in buying up US government debt. Britain will not be part of any EU Marshall Plan-type rescue fund if the EU manages to cobble together some sort of package to deal with its Corona-related debt (a very big if), and so it will have to go to the IMF or wherever. I'm sure the Chinese would love to be of assistance with their large monetary reserves, with strings attached of course.

4 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Britain was once part of a trading bock that could try to front up to the big 2 but that ship has sailed.

Not sure. I think the harbour pilot took control to guide us out of dock but then dropped a baalock and ploughed us straight into a harbour wall. Turns out he's a bit crap and was not really qualified to pilot a vessel of this size. Right now we just stuck waiting on repairs. Once repairs are completed, we'll need someone with the necessary skill set to get us safely out of harbour and on our way. Might be a while yet...

20 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Not sure. I think the harbour pilot took control to guide us out of dock but then dropped a baalock and ploughed us straight into a harbour wall. Turns out he's a bit crap and was not really qualified to pilot a vessel of this size. Right now we just stuck waiting on repairs. Once repairs are completed, we'll need someone with the necessary skill set to get us safely out of harbour and on our way. Might be a while yet...

It was actually @EtoileSportiveDeDerby who posted that, not me, but I can't argue with your response.

27 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Are you talking about Chris "Failing" Grayling?

I heard he took one of the Coronavirus antibody tests, and he's discovered he's pregnant.

36 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

China already has a huge trade surplus with the rest of the world, and it has invested a large proportion of its earnings in buying up US government debt. Britain will not be part of any EU Marshall Plan-type rescue fund if the EU manages to cobble together some sort of package to deal with its Corona-related debt (a very big if), and so it will have to go to the IMF or wherever. I'm sure the Chinese would love to be of assistance with their large monetary reserves, with strings attached of course.

Indeed just check out what they are doing in Africa and their infrastructure/trade project Silk Road

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/06/china-new-silk-road-explainer/

They have the formidable combination of the means of a large developed capitalist country with a one party state able to do as they wish unopposed.

50 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

HMS ERG. Waiting for custom clearance for millions of testing kit and turkish PPE

image.png.bba90031be1b558a1a36ab4621363e2c.png

Iceland's foreign affairs minister announced yesterday that Great Britain and Iceland had signed a 10 year cooperation deal on a wide range of financial, political, arctic and cultural issues.

Here is a 2 in 1.  An update on the current Covid19 situation in Iceland and a symbolic portrayal of the new wonderful deal between cough equal partners.  The man is Britain, Polly is Iceland.

54 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

This is so unfair and you should reserve judgement. Firstly Admiral Johnson was taken very sick with the Syphilis at an early stage in his efforts to engage with the key ship workers and especially the maids, and was confined to his cabin for weeks with a fever. His Chief Mate Raab was thrown into taking the ship out of harbour, notwithstanding he was informing everyone that he had no real knowledge of the English Channel.  Some charts were prepared by scientists informing Raab of his course of travel, and despite the best advice available he still hit the harbour wall, a wall most likely constructed by the Chinese.  Once the full enquiry is complete I am pretty sure it will be the scientists and China who are to blame.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

This is so unfair and you should reserve judgement. Firstly Admiral Johnson was taken very sick with the Syphilis at an early stage in his efforts to engage with the key ship workers and especially the maids, and was confined to his cabin for weeks with a fever. His Chief Mate Raab was thrown into taking the ship out of harbour, notwithstanding he was informing everyone that he had no real knowledge of the English Channel.  Some charts were prepared by scientists informing Raab of his course of travel, and despite the best advice available he still hit the harbour wall, a wall most likely constructed by the Chinese.  Once the full enquiry is complete I am pretty sure it will be the scientists and China who are to blame.

On reflection I fear I may have been too hasty in my assessments and would like to take this opportunity to concede that I may have inadvertently apportioned blame where none lies. I also concede that far from our erstwhile leaders being to blame, it is indeed more likely that the Chinese played a hand in our demise as we all know that they have 'previous' with hard-to-circumvent walls. 

2 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

On reflection I fear I may have been too hasty in my assessments and would like to take this opportunity to concede that I may have inadvertently apportioned blame where none lies. I also concede that far from our erstwhile leaders being to blame, it is indeed more likely that the Chinese played a hand in our demise as we all know that they have 'previous' with hard-to-circumvent walls. 

How the Fock they never saw it beats me as it can be seen from outer space

10 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Well it had the desired effect. Successfully moved the conversation away from the importance of having competent politicians, to a few page debate about right wing conspiracy theories about that old favourite subject, child grooming gangs.

Just the usual method for some posters of moving away from subjects they don't want to talk about.

While berating other posters for not answering questions about subjects they bring up.

But hay-ho it all makes for an interesting forum.

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

People in glass houses....

I never said I couldn't care less if people come around to my way of thinking.

You said that.

When I'm posting factual stuff such as on the US situation, of course I want that.

What's the point explaining stuff otherwise?

And I'm only on the vodka at this time in the morning so I can get in the right frame of mind to understand what the duck you're talking about half the time.

38 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Just the usual method for some posters of moving away from subjects they don't want to talk about.

While berating other posters for not answering questions about subjects they bring up.

But hay-ho it all makes for an interesting forum.

That happens regularly with members of both factions on this forum to be fair. 

I would have joined in with the Keir Starmer/Grooming Gang topic myself but what typically happens is the mods allow it to go on for so long then everything gets removed (which is fair enough) so there was little point.  Looking forwards to seeing it finally get debated in the House of Commons though; https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/300239

Archived