The Politics Thread 2020

G STAR RAM

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After seeing an advert showing how well Amazon cares for it's employees during this crisis, by providing them with PPE while at work.  I wondered how much Amazon's British workers are paid. As up until recently Amazon's workers in the USA were receiving an extra payment of two dollars an hour, for working in hazardous conditions during the coronavirus pandemic. Even though this crisis is still on going, Amazon as now stopped this payment.

Does this mean Amazon care more for it's British workers or could the advert be a little untruthful.

During this same time Jeff Bezos as reportedly increased his fortune by 30 billion dollars. Well I suppose all that money the government as been giving away had to end up somewhere.

Anyone care to guess how much the HMRC might get back in taxes. I'll take a guess at bugger all.

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

All I said was that, given the choice between isolation and integration, I would prefer integration. I honestly cannot fathom why that opinion seems to be a massive bone of contention - co-operation good, confrontation bad. At the end of the day, the debate has been done to death, and at my age, I really no longer give a flying fig.  People who thought differently to me won the day, and we have turned inwards as opposed to outwards.

We will have to agree to disagree then Eddie I am probably as old, if not older. But still can't see it although judging by the reactions of some of the younger ones to Covid I beginning to wonder 

4 hours ago, Archied said:

They say cockroaches are the only thing that would survive a nuclear war , me I think brexit arguments can be added to that short list of survivors 

It does seem an odd argument to be having at the moment, for sure. I've now graduated to a 'couldn't give a ****' stance which I suspect will remain in place indefinitely.

7 hours ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

We will have to agree to disagree then Eddie I am probably as old, if not older. But still can't see it although judging by the reactions of some of the younger ones to Covid I beginning to wonder 

I don't think there's much else to say either. What's done is done, and the future is just a leap in the dark. I have no optimism left, yet I was always a 'glass half-full' person, happy to subscribe to a blindly optimistic view of the future where "Chocolate rations are increased to 20 grams" - but that thought has been replaced by "Imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever".

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I don't think there's much else to say either. What's done is done, and the future is just a leap in the dark. I have no optimism left, yet I was always a 'glass half-full' person, happy to subscribe to a blindly optimistic view of the future where "Chocolate rations are increased to 20 grams" - but that thought has been replaced by "Imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever".

I think you may have overdosed on a bit too much Eric Blair lol.?

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

image.png.7d785d9ef2d5ac21be958c152352817b.png

Deflection of what?

You are happy to have unelected politicians I am not.

If you're happy to have unelected politicians then surely you must have absolutely no problem with unelected advisers?

You cant have it both ways.

So have a go at answering  the question rather than just posting a silly picture.

12 hours ago, 1of4 said:

After seeing an advert showing how well Amazon cares for it's employees during this crisis, by providing them with PPE while at work.  I wondered how much Amazon's British workers are paid. As up until recently Amazon's workers in the USA were receiving an extra payment of two dollars an hour, for working in hazardous conditions during the coronavirus pandemic. Even though this crisis is still on going, Amazon as now stopped this payment.

Does this mean Amazon care more for it's British workers or could the advert be a little untruthful.

During this same time Jeff Bezos as reportedly increased his fortune by 30 billion dollars. Well I suppose all that money the government as been giving away had to end up somewhere.

Anyone care to guess how much the HMRC might get back in taxes. I'll take a guess at bugger all.

£220m in direct taxes, £793m in direct and indirect taxes last year according to this article:-

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/amazon-pays-just-220m-tax-on-british-earnings-of-10-9bn-vv9fwxx52

Never understand why these articles always quote 'x paid £x tax on revenue of £x'. I'm not aware of any company that pays its tax based on its revenue.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

There is absolutely no evidence in that article of anything being "proved" one way or another. 

Ifs and maybes with some unattributed quotes which don't confirm or deny any of the speculative comments. 

Not saying it won't be true ultimately, but premature to be using this article as evidence supporting or rubbishing anything.

Just now, Van der MoodHoover said:

There is absolutely no evidence in that article of anything being "proved" one way or another. 

Ifs and maybes with some unattributed quotes which don't confirm or deny any of the speculative comments. 

Not saying it won't be true ultimately, but premature to be using this article as evidence supporting or rubbishing anything.

As it was using it prior to Brexit?

13 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Are you seriously comparing the provenance of articles that published comments made by the CHAIRMAN of Nissan warning against "hard" Brexit with this article that quotes nobody and couldn't get any words out of Nissan?

Really?

Nah, just highlighting how easily people were hoodwinked ?

49 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Are you seriously comparing the provenance of articles that published comments made by the CHAIRMAN of Nissan warning against "hard" Brexit with this article that quotes nobody and couldn't get any words out of Nissan?

Really?

The burden of proof is less strict for the right

32 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Gove 2020: "It's safe to go back to school"

Gove 2016: "We've heard enough from experts".

Eddie 2016: Whinge whinge whinge, Conservative dimwits

Eddie 2020: Whinge whinge whinge, Conservative dimwits

It's ok...its only a joke...and he has blocked me anyway ?

Archived