v Sheffield Wednesday Match Thread

oomarkwright

Just now, IslandExile said:

I think that's harsh on Knight.

Evans' role was to sit and break up attacks but he's not that mobile and certainly not as good as Bielik in taking it forward.

I thought Knight was the worst of the three. Don’t blame him hugely, as he was being forced to play far deeper than he should have been. But he wasn’t good at all.

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes the second half was slightly better but it simply had to be. 

Still very poor, lacking in quality and direction although at least there was some urgency that was woefully lacking in the first half.

Never a penalty and all it does is paper over the cracks of a team devoid of confidence and purpose and identity.

Apart from that it’s all looking good !

A penalty saves us from what was arguably our worst performance of the season.

Jason Knight was impressive. Marriott busy when he came on.

Other than that - really poor and I'm starting to get worried.

Knowing how we like to play from January onwards, there's every chance we will be in a relegation battle this season. 

3 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

On Holmes....I think he flatters to deceive. Every time he gets the ball and runs with it, I am on the edge of my seat but I cannot remember anything ever coming from it - in any game.

Birmingham at home, first goal, won the ball, scampered down the wing and crossed for Martin?

No idea what Marriott offers. Meant to be a finisher and a poacher, yet continually misses chances when they fall to him. His all round play isn't good enough to justify how little he's scoring. 

We need 2 new centre halves in January. It's an absolute must. Fozzy is absolutely criminal on the ball. Tried to give them a second too. 

Midfield has a complete lack of creativity, Holmes occasionally managed to drive forward, but mainly just aimless passing sideways and backwards. 

5 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

If your a paying fan like most on this forum you are then the right to an opinion.

Another dire performance with no formation and some players looked like they had no clue were they were supposed to be playing,that lands at the feet of the manager surely

His team selection tonight stank of desperation and a get out excuse if we had lost the game,then when it looked like the game was about gone we just stuck on two forwards with little instruction,luckily we did get a point from a very soft penalty which saves Cocu some explaining to do

Don’t disagree we are poor.

just saying that there are underlying factors to why we are playing so poorly. 
we have a mounting injury list, a squad lacking quality and players not suited to his playing style left by the absolute poo show left by other managers whose reigns only last at most a season. 

we desperately need some stability at this club. A manager who makes a squad fully his own and can clear out all the players he doesn’t want.

sacking Cocu just makes the job even harder for the next one along.

10 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Knowing how we like to play from January onwards, there's every chance we will be in a relegation battle this season. 

Don’t get worried it’ll be nice playing burton and having a Tuesday night game away at Pompey next year ? 

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

And Martin!

2 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Seriously? You may need to re-watch that 1st half. He was the only one that could hold his head high in that dressing room at half-time. 

Not in terms of effort, but in terms of quality. As I say, I don’t blame him as he had very little to work with, but he struggled. Also wasn’t the worst at half time, Evans was, but got a little better whereas Knight vanished for me.

Hamer - fine

Bogle - difficult second album

Malone - seems to care more than most, excellent clearance in the first half to deny Weds a goal

Davies - fine

Forsyth - nightmare error but I like him so all will be forgiven

Evans - anonymous, devoid of the presence you'd like from a DM

Knight - a run of games and a more attacking role would be to his benefit

Holmes - meh

Lawrence - either play him as a 10 or sell, frustrating again

Whittaker - not ready, somehow ahead of others from the u23/u18 squads

Martin - good to have him back, should start every time

We're not very good are we? 

Archived