v Sheffield Wednesday Match Thread

oomarkwright

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Crap line up, crap tactics, crap energy, crap performance. We are crap (copy and pasted from Saturday, ill save it again for this Saturday)

It was crap, but the energy second half was good and with an averagely bad ref we would have won (this one was Atwellesque in his biased stupidity and well above averagely bad).

Phil needs to realise he's not dealing with Barcelona players here and more importantly, were not playing against teams that he used to face. We are playing bang average championship teams and we don't need to outplay them, we need to outwork them, get the ball forward quickly and have Marriott, Waghorn , Martin and Lawrence chasing defenders down forcing errors. 

Thats all thats happening to us, teams are chasing us down because we try to play it along the back, as soon as we stopped doing that in the second half Wednesday were hanging on for dear life.

Attack, attack, attack, we have goal scorers in our squad, lets try and use them, this league is absolutely wide open, there is not one good side to fear. 

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

Something to build on tonight.

Dont want to dig out one player but the positioning of the defensive midfield is pivotal and Evans was far too deep first half. It pushes all your forward players back and we struggled to get forward and Bannan had a lot of space to control the game.  Second half he’s ten yards further forward and Holmes can now get on Bannan and he begins to look second rate and getting on the front foot.

It’s not just about keeping the ball, it’s getting a tempo and making it uncomfortable for the opposition

Spot on. I thought he was playing 3rd Centre half at times. Do some of these players not understand the basics? Our shape for most of the game was school playground-esque. 

Martin man of the match by far. Wish he would play Marriott, we will regret thr the way this has played out soon. 

Anyone else notice Bogle pulling out of a footrace he was a dead cert to win in the first half? Unforgivable lack of effort. 

Manager clueless. Football dire. Individual performances awful. Giving him the transfer windows is lunacy. 

4 minutes ago, goldstar said:

Martin man of the match by far. Wish he would play Marriott, we will regret thr the way this has played out soon. 

Anyone else notice Bogle pulling out of a footrace he was a dead cert to win in the first half? Unforgivable lack of effort. 

Manager clueless. Football dire. Individual performances awful. Giving him the transfer windows is lunacy. 

Spot on. He was imperious. Led by example like a man surrounded by boys. I agree with the rest too. Credit to the fans tonight who bellowed out “Bald Eagle’s Barmy Army” and palpably raised the spirit which the players responded to with increased effort but the guile remained absent. The problem for me is that I don’t see a scintilla of anything from Cocu that you could call a green shoot of promise to come...and I sense a detachment between his football culture and that of the players. That first half was just a mish-mash of 11 individuals reminiscent of school playground kick-and-rush typified by Lawrence who consistently ran down obvious blind alleys...

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

1-1 the right result for a game lacking in quality between two average championship teams. Weds put more effort into the 1st half and won it 1-0. Derby put more effort into the 2nd half and won it 1-0. 25 games to go.

I thought Wednesday were really well organised first half. Look like a strong team with everyone knowing their jobs. We were poor and final ball and some passing was substandard. Second half thought we were on top and didn’t look troubled. More intensity. Still lacking killer instinct but at least there was determination and purpose later on. Fair result I thought. 

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Spot on. He was imperious. Led by example like a man surrounded by boys. I agree with the rest too. Credit to the fans tonight who bellowed out “Bald Eagle’s Barmy Army” and palpably raised the spirit which the players responded to with increased effort but the guile remained absent. The problem for me is that I don’t see a scintilla of anything from Cocu that you could call a green shoot of promise to come...and I sense a detachment between his football culture and that of the players. That first half was just a mish-mash of 11 individuals reminiscent of school playground kick-and-rush typified by Lawrence who consistently ran down obvious blind alleys...

Didnt he just! What an intelligent player who has been absolutely shafted at times, and comes back to put a shift in when the rest are floundering. Top, top man. 

Agreed, and what a contrast between the football the Bald Eagle offered and the dross we saw tonight. Bang on avout no sign of any green shoots, i fail to see any glimpse of what Cocu is aiming for and i think its only because of his contract length and previous trigger happy seasons that he still has a job. Doesn't mean the players aren't to blame, but its not working and i dont think it ever will. 

Terrible game and Cocu luckily managed to get a point again with the spark that Marriott created when he came on.

Thought Knight looked busy and was not shirking responsibility and was looking to get on the ball.

Martin lead the line and does what he does best. 

Bar that I thought the rest were average.

He should have brought Forsyth off tonight and played Evans at Centre Half as he was playing the same role really. 

I really do not understand playing out from back with Davies, Forsyth and Evans.

Wisdom unlucky not to be playing.

Not being critical at all as he is a young lad but for me Whittaker’s is not a wide player and I think he needs to spend more time in under 23s.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Think Knight is getting an easy ride as he is young and one of our own... If Dowell had put in that performance he would have been criticised a lot more. Was largely anonymous, buzzed around affecting very little, a bit like a fly round....well, you know. 

Hilarious! If Dowell had buzzed around in any game that would have been an improvement! Knight was our best midfielder tonight!

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

Yes, you can criticise. Marriott is always injured, how can you give him 5 games in a row? Then he comes back, strolls about and throws his arms about and misses his chances when they arrive. Nobody played well tonight, but if had Marriott been clinical we still could have walked away with 3 points. Margins.

Without Marriott’s run in the box we might not have got any!

7 minutes ago, GrimsbyRam said:

I really do not understand playing out from back with Davies, Forsyth and Evans.

Cool, do you want to pull some aerially dominant centre forwards notorious for their ability to outmuscle defenders and win flick-ons out of your arse, or should I?

Maybe we should stick Davies & Forsyth up front instead?

Ok my 6 pennies worth.

a lot better than the drivel we played against QPR. Still need to improve, still do not have the right players for the system.

Hamer - played well, seemed calm

Bogle - he is going to get better and better, his defensive work is getting better 

Forsyth - at fault for the goal but did ok

Davies - not good on the ball but good defensively 

Evans tried hard, when the defenders did know what to do with the ball, went back got the ball and passed it forward

Holmes - much better second half

Knight - a diamond in the making, that lad has a future 

whittiker - needs a bit more confidence, a little bit more work to do with the U23 o think

Lawrence- something is going on there, moments of good stuff and moments of bad stuff, too much petulance which got him another booking, is that 10 if so he will be out for 2 games 

Martin- needs someone to read him, he was excellent tonight

Malone- frustration- does the hard things well and the easy things badly 

I cannot say the players didn’t play well or try especially in the second half but we are disjointed and not a team, Wednesday were. It was an improvement but we need players to fit our system and they don’t 

just my opinion 

42 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Spot on. I thought he was playing 3rd Centre half at times. Do some of these players not understand the basics? Our shape for most of the game was school playground-esque. 

Had a bit of a discussion on the way back and I think for teams that want to pass from the back then it’s very easy to come complacent. It’s very easy to play keep ball than to take risks, even if it’s a false sense of security. Let’s face it even your Arsenal’s etc can fall foul of this. The trick is then your Evans, Holmes and Lawrence’s need to pull the opposition players out of position and start picking gaps to exploit. This should get the tempo quicker too which we need. First half especially was the perfect example of how being slow and ponderous doesn’t work

Slight side note, but it’s relevant, I actually think Rooney is a great addition to the coaching staff. Rosenoir is level headed, Cocu and his crew are the philosophy but having Rooney could be the one who’s a bit more direct and encourage them to be more aggressive and force the issue more. Just a thought but he may have something the rest of them are lacking a bit of (although that’s not to undervalue the Cocu and the rest his staff)

1-1. A game of 2 half’s, 1 point gained but another 2 dropped.

Whittaker isn’t ready to start based on tonight but thought Knight looked good and was out best player in the first half. The team needs to come out and play with that urgency and aggression Saturday, Cocu needs to realise it’s okay having technical players but they have to work hard and battle for every ball in the championship.

on another note we haven’t scored a goal from open play since Boro at home (not counting Waghorn v Preston as that was from a corner) that’s 540+ minutes of football - staggering 

The injuries are the only sympathy I have for Cocu at this point.

To lose Bogle, Keogh, Huddlestone, Clarke and Shinnie for long spells over the course of the season has been incredibly unlucky.

That’s before you even mention the number of times Bielik has broken down.

But that doesn’t excuse the lack of a consistent shape, system, style and identity. 

If you have that, injured players drop out and another player can slot in.

If the 4-4-2 diamond with Lawrence, Marriott and Martin set up was now seven games old and we were suffering because of the absence of three key players, I think many people would be more forgiving.

But we have made more than three enforced changes. We have changed players, formations, styles, everything.

You could replace the forum prediction league with a guess the line up league, you genuinely could.

Archived