v Sheffield Wednesday Match Thread

oomarkwright

A very poor first half and very lucky to go in only 0:1

Holmes looked busy. Martin did well in winning freekicks and headers. Forsyth struggled on the ball. Malone ballooned almost everything. Whitaker was anonymous. Hamer looks like a shorter Roos.  Davies still looks ponderous and like he's on borrowed time. Bogle worked hard and, with Holmes, does a lot of other people's running. 

We looked dangerous when we played with some pace and played some of our better footballers.

and Lawrence still doesn't bother when he hasn't got the ball and especially when he loses the ball

and Evans passed the ball backwards except for 2 decent through balls

and Ramage still talks nonsense

and we could have ended up winning the game

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, DCFC Ram said:

A very poor first half and very lucky to go in only 0:1

Largely agree with the rest of the post, but don't think we were lucky to go in at 1-0, we stood firm against a very direct team and they only scored because we passed it to them!

As a team with a history of being weak in the air and unable to defend balls into the box it was our best defensive performance of the season.

They offered almost no threat outside of long balls and were lucky to have scored at all.

Cocu overdid it with the selection.

i was happy to see Jason knight and I thought he did well.

Whittaker isn’t a winger / wideman. He looks more like another no10 to me. And Lawrence back on the left? He was predictably poor. Wednesday were a physical outfit. For corners they packed our 6 yard box. It was clearly going to be a physical battle . Not a game for Whittaker over waghorn. So yet again i’m puzzled by Cocu’s thinking.

fozzy looked shaky at the back. knight battled well. But with Lawrence and bogle misfiring badly it was hard. 

I was hoping for waghorn and Marriott, and was surprised to see them appear without warming up. But once they were on we were able to match them physically and give much better support to Martin.

Fluked a 1-1? 

Get ready for more changes on Saturday. 

21 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I remember him being rubbish in the middle of last season too. Ended in good form, when he could play. Don't natural goal scorers, score goals? He seems a waste of time for me. When he's out of form he's an absolute passenger, if you get him in Leeds away form, he's one of the best. Doesn't excuse the fact he's never fit, even when he is fit, he is often not picked (why?) he doesn't contribute enough, he's living off a few games from last season. 

Your arguing is in vain I'm afraid: a large section of our fanbase has decided that Marriott is the answer to all of our problems now and forever because of that playoff semi.

Never mind the fact that even the manager who brought him here wasn't a massive fan and that last season he scored about 6 goals despite being the Best Player Ever.

The difference between Marriott and Martin is like night and day.

39 minutes ago, Silko said:

To be honest I was just so bloody annoyed with another insipid performance from the players another mistake and at the time the team chosen looked weak and clueless the team isn’t a settled side square pegs in round holes spring to mind I’ve just had enough of poor performances this season he keeps  picking players who simply aren’t good enough .... Dowell Roos Paterson Clarke Bennett Jozefzoon Evans ... have I missed anyone out 

Id say the players have under performed and let him down but some of those kept getting picked managers have been sacked for far less so whilst maybe I’m a bit harsh I don’t think I’m the only one with that sentiment 

I understand your frustration but who else should/can he pick? They are all either injured and/or poo.

56 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

This only goes to confirm that you are consistently watching a different game to everyone else ?

Think Knight is getting an easy ride as he is young and one of our own... If Dowell had put in that performance he would have been criticised a lot more. Was largely anonymous, buzzed around affecting very little, a bit like a fly round....well, you know. 

People blame the players and say the squad is not good enough to compete.

But how many teams have come to Pride Park and played well? How many teams have been the better side?

Maybe one, two at a push. 

We have been competitive, which says to me that the players are not the problem.

If they were, surely the home and away form would mirror each other.

WBA, Swansea, Cardiff, QPR and now Sheffield Wednesday have all left with a point on the back of fairly ordinary battling performances.

These are all games we arguably could have won. That’s 10 extra points in the bag right there.

This group is more than capable of being competitive in this division, but the manager is holding this team back.

37 minutes ago, Sean said:

I can't believe it, bottom of the league...

Oh hang on? I thought we were looking at the reaction online.

We're constantly coming up short in making the right pass at the right time and the first half was poor but the negativity is astonishing. We looked much better second half and would've taken all three points if luck was on our side (hint: it hasn't been all season)

The performance was awful - in both halves. It always is away from home and now its going the same way at home. I find it baffling that you are expecting fans to be saying positive things about this team at the moment, but its good to know we are only crap because we're "unlucky".

20 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Largely agree with the rest of the post, but don't think we were lucky to go in at 1-0, we stood firm against a very direct team and they only scored because we passed it to them!

As a team with a history of being weak in the air and unable to defend balls into the box it was our best defensive performance of the season.

They offered almost no threat outside of long balls and were lucky to have scored at all.

For one of their very good chances in the first half the ball hit Malone close to the goal line. I'm pretty sure that their CF missed a decent chance. They also had a header that Hamer struggled to tip over. The ball that hit Maolne would have otherwise gone in at the far post (South West corner post). My feeling at the time was that we were hanging on; it certainly felt that way. I didn't boo at HT but a fair few people did.  I'd like to see (neutral) highlights of the 1st half though.

We now haven't scored from open play in 6 games. Which quite frankly is a disgrace.

The last time we scored from open play was Boro at home. We had Martin & Marriott up front with Lawrence in the number 10 role behind them. 

We then player Preston at home and we're outstanding. Only reason we didn't score from open play was poor finishing (Waghorn the biggest culprit) how we didn't win that by more than one I'll never know. No problems here. We created. Marriott & Martin up front and Lawrence in the number 10 role.

Since then we have completely gone away from that and despite creating nothing in those games since then. We haven't started with that front 2 at all. Which to my mind is absolutely ludicrous. Think back to that Preston game. Comfortably our best performance of the season. Why on earth would you not play that way in every game?

I am all for youngsters being given a chance. But they have to be good enough. Whilst I can see potential in Knight and he doesn't look out of place. Whittaker is massively out of his depth at the minute. Putting in youngsters like that can do more harm than good. Looks to be like he could benefit from a season in league one/two playing proper men's football. How he can be picked over Marriott, Waghorn and even Paterson is very very strange to me.

Why does Cocu worry so much about the opposition. Yes we have to of course, but to such an extent that we change the whole way of playing and how we set up to stop the opposition. Why don't we just let them worry about us?

Cocu's post match interviews are utterly bizarre as well. Half the time I'm listening to him thinking "Has he watched the same game as me"

He's come out tonight saying we deserved to win. Which is staggering.

For 70 minutes of that game we were a disgrace. Created nothing, offered nothing. Only when he made the changes bringing on Marriott and Waghorn (which incidentally should have been done at half time not with 70 minutes gone) did we look marginally better.

I stayed at home tonight. I couldn't make the game due to family issues. But I watched it. Listening to commentators say at half time that not one Derby player looks interested is disgusting. Neutral commentators saying our players don't care. That first half they didn't. 

This starts from the manager down. I do not want us to sack another manager. But what are we? There's no signs of how he wants to play. No set team (yes we have injuries but he never keeps the same front 3 or back 4). I'm watching us play with absolutely no idea what our formation is. No idea what these are doing on the training ground and that first half in particular they were not playing for this manager.

10 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Your arguing is in vain I'm afraid: a large section of our fanbase has decided that Marriott is the answer to all of our problems now and forever because of that playoff semi.

Never mind the fact that even the manager who brought him here wasn't a massive fan and that last season he scored about 6 goals despite being the Best Player Ever.

The difference between Marriott and Martin is like night and day.

13 goals , Averaged around 1 in 3.  About 6 or 7 of those appearances were 5 minute cameos .  That makes his strike rate more impressive last year.  The poo spell in the middle of the season was after a stomach injury. It also coincided with Mount being injured. Can't score 25 goals sat on the bench and the occasional half arsed chance due to lack of ammunition.

All this about Marriotts attitude is balls . Cocu praised his attitude earlier in the year.  Saying how much he liked his determination and desire.

The bit in bolds right, they are very different players.

3 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Think Knight is getting an easy ride as he is young and one of our own... If Dowell had put in that performance he would have been criticised a lot more. Was largely anonymous, buzzed around affecting very little, a bit like a fly round....well, you know. 

I disagree: he was about the only player in the first half not to waste possession.

And anyway, he should be cut some slack for his age - he's 18 and brand new to this level.

3 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I thought he did ok. Took a few whacks and got back up. Held the ball which was a step up on several others. It’s bogle you want to worry about. 

poor game. I was thinking we could play for hours and not create a chance and right on cue we get a pen. It makes a difference but still, it is not a good watch, slow, very laboured. We got to hope that Rooney with his quality is the spark we very much need at the moment. 

What is very frustrating is that in the space of a few weeks it is another team who like Preston are near the top and yet are nothing special. It just shows not a lot is needed to do well in this league, but certainly more than we are showing at the moment.

10 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Because we possess very little for any opposition to worry about

Playing like tonight  I would agree.

But Preston were 3rd in the league, on a very good run at the time and we absolutely mullered them. Especially first half. So we do have threats that other teams should be concerned about. We have just decided to not play that way anymore. Which makes no sense.

2 up front and Lawrence behind. That is the only position Lawrence can play. If you're playing him on the wing you might as well not bother as he doesn't affect the game.

Archived