v QPR (H) Match Thread

peachmyster

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dismal home performance against a team without a win in their last 6 matches. Why on earth did Cocu find it necessary to change the formation today?

What are people seeing from this manager that makes them so confident he is taking us in the right direction? The football is beyond tedious game after game and the formation is constantly tinkered with. I just don't get what the plan is. 

Just now, Edtheram said:

Cocu clueless again. Changes the whole formation and then changes it again 25 mins in because it was awful. A lot of pressure on a result at Blackburn now which doesn’t look likely 

Why is their pressure on a result at Blackburn? 

Poor performance, more like the away side today.  Pedestrian and laboured and clearly the 'buzz' of having Wazza has not instantly sparked anything in the players.  Wisdom the only one really to come out of this game with credit.  Massively miss Bielek and we desperately need to press quicker.

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Ok it was only a draw, but I am losing belief in our tinkerman.

how can he have the answer, if its a different answer every week? 

He seems no nearer to knowing his best 11 now that he did after pre-season. 

The players have rumbled him. He can't motivate a performance.

We are achieving zilch. 

This makes Rowett look like Alf ramsey.

To be fair to him, how is he supposed to put a consistent 11 out when we have so many injuries? 

It was without doubt a poor game with very little quality.

But there's little value is defining this team based on this performance when you have your two best players out over the last 6-weeks or so.

Of course we don't know, but I suspect that with Biliek and Shinnie in we'd have beaten QPR.

I too would like to see Whittaker given a start.

It's about next season in my view and I doubt Waghorn will still be here (he was very poor again today other than the goal) and I think it's 50/50 whether Martin is.

Really poor.

Ill back Cocu and will continue to do so, but his in game management today has to be questioned.

1st of all, he changed the system which he chose to start the game (3-5-2) after only 10 minutes of the game back to 4-2-3-1. This resulted in players playing out of position and it showed. Lucky to be 1-0 ahead with a bit of magic off a free kick, however QPR deserved to get level. The substitutions second half for me didn't make sense when we need a goal. No problem bringing Whittaker on, however I would personally have replaced Wisdom and shifted Bogle to full back. Wisdom had a good game, but Bogle provides one of our best athletes tacking options, which is showed by his assists when played as a full back. Again, agree with he introduction of Martin & Knight, however taking Marriott off and leaving Evans on is ridiculous. Evans was negative all day and got himself marked, where as while Marriott had no service, he has to stay on when we need a goal.

Really missed Bielik in midfield today and also the legs of Shinnie.

1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

The pressure is in the minds of fans, unless that is it's also in the mind of Mel - which I highly doubt.

Indeed. We're going to finish somewhere between 12th and 16th this season imo so I'll be very surprised if we are ever under pressure to win any game ? 

Immediate thoughts. Was it a penalty? Was it a legal penalty when taken?

Formation felt like 5-0-5. We didn’t need to change 4 players, just the goalkeeper. Hamer didn’t catch a ball all day though  

Wisdom and Holmes our best players. Disappointing overall. 

6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Ok it was only a draw, but I am losing belief in our tinkerman.

how can he have the answer, if its a different answer every week? 

He seems no nearer to knowing his best 11 now than he did after pre-season. 

The players have rumbled him. He can't motivate a performance.

We are achieving zilch. 

This makes Rowett look like Alf ramsey.

Interestingly, Sir Alf was notorious for not getting the best out of his players outside of a one-month fairly important window. 

Thought Forsyth was great, looks like a new signing for us.

Also thought Wisdom had a solid game. Holmes good in spells too.

I think that’s about it for positives. But what do you expect when you try your 8th formation of the season. 

That was crap.

Hamer 6 - a copy and paste of Roos. Decent shot stopper but really struggles dealing with crosses.

Wisdom 7 - probably the best of a bad bunch. Very good defensively but doesn't offer much going forward.

Davies 6 - puts in some good tackles and blocks, but he seems to gift the opposition at least one good chance a game through sloppy passing.

Forsyth 7 - really glad to see him back. He's doing so well that I'd be half tempted to pair him with Clarke when he's back because he's outperformed Davies since returning.

Malone 4 - he infuriates me. He rarely mixes up his attacking play, just looks for the early cross from deep which 9 times out of 10 is either over-hit or straight to the first man. And he really struggled defensively as well today against Samuel.

Evans 4 - didn't help out much defensively and seemed to hide when the centre backs were looking for a midfielder to pass to.

Holmes 7 - one of the few willing to take risks and put a foot in.

Bogle 6 - sometimes took too long on the ball and lost it, but of the front four that started he was probably the most threatening.

Lawrence 5 - worked hard in the first half but wasn't his usual self on the ball and he created very little.

Waghorn 5 - scored a lovely goal and then gifted them a penalty, that's about all he did today.

Marriott 4 - useless today.

Our home form is the only thing keeping us going at the minute so to see that against a team who've picked up just 2 points from their past 18 is a little worrying. The injuries don't help, but Lawrence, Marriott and Waghorn should be more than capable to cause QPR problems between them but they looked like a trio who had never played together before. I think it's about time some of those youngsters got some more game time to see what they can offer .... not all in one go, but I'd at least like to see one or two of them start in the near future to see if they can improve us. 

2 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Cocu clueless again. Changes the whole formation and then changes it again 25 mins in because it was awful. A lot of pressure on a result at Blackburn now which doesn’t look likely 

What's he meant to do with only half a squad available? Also hard to lay all the blame with Cocu when the players fail to do the basics to an acceptable standard.

Well that was dreadful,we looked like a team who had just met for the first time again.

Changing the system from last Saturday's home match where we were showed just how good we can be, to this shambles,was a remarkable strategy.

Marriott was completely anonymous and offered nothing throughout the game....he really has shown nothing to justify a place and we lost out focal point and final third distribution in leaving Martin out.lawrence suffered as a result too.

Cocu's decision making completely baffles me.

Archived