Should Chris Martin’s contract be extended?

Ellafella

Should Chris Martin’s contract be extended?  

221 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I think the Chris Martin that used to shoot for goal would be worth a new contract. 

I love his passing but he is a centre forward and needs to bang a few in himself. 

Once we get that version back we'll be onto a winner. 

I was saying similar yesterday. He needs to be encouraged to be a bit more selfish. He’s got a great finish on him but I feel he sometimes tries to lay it off for someone else when he should have a shot.

In regards to the original question. 100% new contract, 1 year with the option of another year, triggered by the club. 

He loves it at Derby and is very much a family man, if his contract isn’t sorted soon he may start to worry and it could affect his performances, get him tied down ASAP I say. 

Now Keogh has gone, he’s actually the only player left who id like to finish his career at Derby! (Without the help of any substance or injury).

very intelligent person, could see him going into coaching or management. I also think Rooney may be surprised at how intelligent he is! 

9 hours ago, DazaDunn said:

I was saying similar yesterday. He needs to be encouraged to be a bit more selfish. He’s got a great finish on him but I feel he sometimes tries to lay it off for someone else when he should have a shot.

To be a bit more selfish he needs to be passed to more! As for goals this season, I imagine Marriott knows how Chrissy feels at times! Lol. Will the coming of Rooooneeeyyy help?

I'd offer him 1 year extension, with the option of a further year if he plays 20 games next season - that way, if we get promoted, and bring in a better option (possible), then we have him as a backup for 1 year. If we stay down, we can always renegotiate.

We should only look to offer him a contract on reduced terms - by all means let him put the feelers out and see what he can get elsewhere and do what we can to match it. £8-10k a week is going to be his ball park price IMO. The current wage we can gauge is closer to £35-40k a week. 

I voted no. Reason being is I'm being asked now, ask me the same question around March/April time and it may be a different answer.

I'm happy as everyone else is to see him fight his way back into the team, but let's not carried away handing out new contracts after 6 starts, long way to go in the season and if he is happy at Derby as he says he is, there is no rush to get his agent to the table.

Been so many distractions off the pitch recently, time to focus on the football and put a run of results together before squabbling over money.

We also have the arrival of Rooney to consider and what role Cocu sees for him in the team which "could" potentially impact the game time Martin gets, might not at all, just something to throw out there.

On 03/11/2019 at 10:30, angieram said:

This. 

Martin is happy and settled living in Derby. On the pitch he is our most intelligent player. Off the pitch he is articulate and realistic.

I could see Martin staying around the club, taking his badges and pursuing a career in management. 

I hope he stays.

Yes - All of this

We've been much much better with him in the side and he's proved he can still bag goals

I've voted "If he scores more than 10" because if he continues to get regular game time I have full faith that will happen - Especially once we have Rooney supplying him with chances

Why are a lot of folk saying he's old???  31, in this day & age isn't old for a footballer, especially one who's game has never been about mobility or pace.  He's got another 2-3 seasons at something like his peak.  Teddy Sheringham, another intelligent striker who was used as a pivot, played his best football in his 30's.  As others have said, he provides a strong focal point for our attacks but, and this a big but, he needs you right players round him for things to succeed.  On Saturday he had the right players round him, and we looked a lot better for it.  

14 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I think the Chris Martin that used to shoot for goal would be worth a new contract. 

I love his passing but he is a centre forward and needs to bang a few in himself. 

Why though? If he doesn’t score another goal all season but chips in with fifteen assists then he’s contributed. 

The misconception with Martin is that he’s a #9 when he’s more of a #10. He’s Fat Bergkamp. 

50 minutes ago, cannable said:

Why though? If he doesn’t score another goal all season but chips in with fifteen assists then he’s contributed. 

The misconception with Martin is that he’s a #9 when he’s more of a #10. He’s Fat Bergkamp. 

The why is because taking on the shot is the right thing to do and the best way to score a goal. 

I thought after his dynamic return he would be full of confidence to shoot 

It's just possible that had he had a few 'sighters', he might have tucked away that fairly simple side foot finish from Bogle's cross.

You are right of course that he sees passes others in the side do not. 

I want him to get back his hunger for goals, including free kicks and penalties. 

18 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

He's our 3rd top scorer and the player with the best minutes per goal (better than 1 every 180 mins)

Archived