Should Chris Martin’s contract be extended?

Ellafella

Should Chris Martin’s contract be extended?  

221 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Agree right up to the last sentence.

If he plays as much and as well from now to the season's end as he has done recently, and Cocu decides to offer another year as he's been so important, why should he take a massive pay cut?

Probably because he won’t get that kind of money anywhere else - he has only been a success at Norwich next to Grant Holt and at Derby surrounded by Bryson Hughes Hendrick Russell and Ward - I also think he actually likes Derby county and not just for the money 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Vydra Blackman Jerome Waghorn Marriott - how many got 25 goals a  season for us? They have cost about £30million nearly with only about £12 million being returned It’s all about partnerships and teamwork to get out of this league for me and Martin and Marriott could well do that just as Martin and Vydra could have 

Well none of them, thats why were still in it. Vydra was prolific that season but they were all pretty poor/average signings for a 30 mil outlay. Not a fan of 2 strikers. Went out with shell suits. 

Good question and one I hadnt really considered.

We don’t know what Cocu is planning he hasn’t really had a proper transfer window to bring his players in and he may have someone in mind. We are also Looking to down a different route with younger players, his health issues could also count against him.

on the flip side of this there’s the fact that as been mentioned Martin is a known quantity, is a useful player and he probably isn’t going to be in demand from other clubs.

I’d hope we give him a years extension and take it from there!

5 hours ago, jono said:

It was delightful yesterday. Big un and a little un with an AM who was hungry. .. that was the first game we had 3 Attackers buzzing at the same time. 

Not to mention young Bogle who is now looking match fit again. I actually felt sorry for their FB. Jayden had him on toast the whole game. Loved it when towards the end of the game, he literally passed it one side of the FB then ran round the other to collect his own pass. Ouch! ?

4 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Dependent on 2 things:

1) We are confident Cocu will be here next season 

2) Cocu wants to keep him 

If Chris keeps playing the way he is, Cocu ain't gonna be going anywhere and there's no way Cocu will unload Martin while he's playing the way he is. We're different gravy with a fit and firing Chris Martin in the side.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Neither Vydra nor Waghorn managed that. Who have you in mind?

Duh! Tammy Abrahams is available mate!!!

For £75 million ?‍♀️

13 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Not to mention young Bogle who is now looking match fit again. I actually felt sorry for their FB. Jayden had him on toast the whole game. Loved it when towards the end of the game, he literally passed it one side of the FB then ran round the other to collect his own pass. Ouch! ?

If Chris keeps playing the way he is, Cocu ain't gonna be going anywhere and there's no way Cocu will unload Martin while he's playing the way he is. We're different gravy with a fit and firing Chris Martin in the side.

For £75 million ?‍♀️

The thing that puzzled my yesterday was that towards the end of the game Bogle was firing on all cylinders. He looked as he did before he was injured. A young lad with huge huge talent and self belief. Yes and that lovely kick the ball one way and go round him the other ? I loved that. ... BUT for the first half he looked a bit tentative - almost intimidated. There we 2 or 3 breaks on the right where I thought whoopeee Jayden will drive and skin him but he backed off, hesitated faffed about a bit. What was it ? Dunno, but for me it was a game of two halves for JB. He got his confidence as the game progressed and could have scored as well. .. maybe it’s just boring old “he’s young and anxious to do it right” .. anyway, brightest spark at DCFC at the moment. Could see him being poached by a prem side sooner or later. 

1 minute ago, jono said:

The thing that puzzled my yesterday was that towards the end of the game Bogle was firing on all cylinders. He looked as he did before he was injured. A young lad with huge huge talent and self belief. Yes and that lovely kick the ball one way and go round him the other ? I loved that. ... BUT for the first half he looked a bit tentative - almost intimidated. There we 2 or 3 breaks on the right where I thought whoopeee Jayden will drive and skin him but he backed off, hesitated faffed about a bit. What was it ? Dunno, but for me it was a game of two halves for JB. He got his confidence as the game progressed and could have scored as well. .. maybe it’s just boring old “he’s young and anxious to do it right” .. anyway, brightest spark at DCFC at the moment. Could see him being poached by a prem side sooner or later. 

Maybe the bloke who played first half was Omar Bogle (last night’s reference on the BBC website)?!

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Because the players we are bringing in and the way the club is being run is very much different to a few years ago, I would certainly imagine that his wage is an outlier within the squad. And not sure that’s a good thing. 

Cough ** Rooney ** cough cough

19 minutes ago, Srg said:

Well publicised his wages aren’t high from a football stand point. Getting money through other means. 

Although it's widely reported that his wages will be covered by 32Red, you would have to be either a brilliant lawyer or a hypnotist to convince me that they are not high.

20 minutes ago, jono said:

Think you've answered your own question right there buddy. After an absence, it always seems to take players a few games at least to hit peak form again and confidence only returns through match practice. I suppose it's fair comment to say he improved as the game went on, but it's great to have him back to something like his best nonetheless. 

As for him getting poached, I think it's inevitable unless we get promoted this season or next at very latest. If anyone comes asking though, they'll need to be bringing £20 to £30 million with them as I hope the days of us unloading top talent for buttons are well and truly over. As of this summer, our finances and FFP status will be really healthy again for the first time in yonks. No need to flog off players as such, so any potential suitors should expect to pay top dollar if they expect us to let him go. Hughes has proven what we all knew, that is that he could easily cut it in the top division. Bogle however, would make it in any side outside the top t3 or four given time and that needs to be factored into any sale price we agree. He's only just turned 19 and his best days are very much in front of him.

COYR

5 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Although it's widely reported that his wages will be covered by 32Red, you would have to be either a brilliant lawyer or a hypnotist to convince me that they are not high.

Not saying they’re not high, but Mel himself has said that the way this is working with sponsors etc means he will pay for himself. Can’t see Martin getting close to paying for himself for even a week. 

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

For £75 million ?‍♀️

Oh I largely agree I'm just saying those were the two caveats because Martin tends to either fit a side or really doesn't.

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Not saying they’re not high, but Mel himself has said that the way this is working with sponsors etc means he will pay for himself. Can’t see Martin getting close to paying for himself for even a week. 

Agree with all of this.

5 hours ago, Srg said:

Because the players we are bringing in and the way the club is being run is very much different to a few years ago, I would certainly imagine that his wage is an outlier within the squad. And not sure that’s a good thing. 

It's this I don't agree with you about.

Rooney will pay for himself, but his wage will probably be double or more our current highest earner. Hopefully because of his standing in the game it won't be a problem, but it will make pay cuts or low new player's wages difficult.

Archived