Should Chris Martin’s contract be extended?

Ellafella

Should Chris Martin’s contract be extended?  

221 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As with most players in the autumn of their careers and with health problems there are risks.

I’d like to see him continue the level of performance we have seen recently but assuming he is consistent then why not, he’s a good player. Of course there should be provisos of sensible cost/wages and length offered. 

one thing for sure, the prices of competent players at the moment is verging on daft, so a known quantity of quality like CM has to be very interesting. 

9 minutes ago, jono said:

As with most players in the autumn of their careers and with health problems there are risks.

I’d like to see him continue the level of performance we have seen recently but assuming he is consistent then why not, he’s a good player. Of course there should be provisos of sensible cost/wages and length offered. 

one thing for sure, the prices of competent players at the moment is verging on daft, so a known quantity of quality like CM has to be very interesting. 

Great phrase @jono

Even his name is Nit Ram backwards.

Proof, if proof were needed, that he  is a Ram through and through.

When Chris is not on the score sheet he is always featured as an assist.

He puts me in mind of King Kevin who was never ever anonymous on the pitch.

We are a different side when he is on the pitch and a real force to be reckoned with.

No ifs, no buts, Keep Martin or you're nuts.

PS I ticked box No 1!

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Great phrase @jono

@Ellafella lol .. it was a complete accident -  I was editing, added the quality bit and then thought hey that looks clever ????. I am sure there will be some grammarians who’ll tell me it’s a “reinforced pre adverbal diphthong” or something thus it’s incorrect 

2 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

Even his name is Nit Ram backwards.

Proof, if proof were needed, that he  is a Ram through and through.

When Chris is not on the score sheet he is always featured as an assist.

He puts me in mind of King Kevin who was never ever anonymous on the pitch.

We are a different side when he is on the pitch and a real force to be reckoned with.

No ifs, no buts, Keep Martin or you're nuts.

PS I ticked box No 1!

But he needs a foil. Two upfront for ever please. 

Yes he has the x factor. Always goes flat for a while when we he goes off. The team needs players who wont be bullied by the opposition, the ref, the opposing fans and our younger players can learn a lot from him. As much as I love him, I would wait a little though

My answer is not on the list.

Yes, on reduced terms. His current one was for pretty big money during the fulham/mac2 chaos. A bit more rational wages and ice no issue with keeping him on. His health "issue" is being managed, he's a technical player who suits what Cocu wants to do, he's certainly one to try to keep around but given the purse strings are going to be more sane he'll have to be reasonable or take his chances in the marketplace (I suspect a potential buyer would be concerned with his health and his loan flops)

We should wait till Jan and see what comes in or doesn't, Chris for all his merits is "old" and may not fit the Mel/Cocu plan. I also worry slightly about his ability to keep motivated when things don't run for him. Too many time in the past his body language was pretty bad and that rubs off on the younger players.

1 minute ago, Van Cone De Head said:

Agree,traditionally we go to early and balls it up.

12 months and renegotiate but respect Wardrobe as well.

Be good to be one of those 12 months but with a further 12 months auto triggered if he plays enough games.

9 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

He doesn't stike me as someone who's going to demand a 5 year contract on the same terms. He's shown a lot of professionalism and loyalty over the last 3 years.

This. 

Martin is happy and settled living in Derby. On the pitch he is our most intelligent player. Off the pitch he is articulate and realistic.

I could see Martin staying around the club, taking his badges and pursuing a career in management. 

I hope he stays.

Just now, FindernRam said:

We should wait till Jan and see what comes in or doesn't, Chris for all his merits is "old" and may not fit the Mel/Cocu plan. I also worry slightly about his ability to keep motivated when things don't run for him. Too many time in the past his body language was pretty bad and that rubs off on the younger players.

I wish i was Chris Martin ' old'

I don't think Martin is going to feel the ravages of age on the same way pacier players do.

Never had the pace to lose.

Archived