Should Chris Martin’s contract be extended?

Ellafella

Should Chris Martin’s contract be extended?  

221 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Renew but on the same terms. He's been out to other clubs and he's only ever performed well at Derby so I can't imagine him kicking up a fuss to leave.

We're offloading a shed ton of players of the books next summer so we can afford to keep him on the same wages.

I can't see him bettering, and probably not even equalling, his current rumoured salary (yes I know that we don't know how much he earns, and it really is his and the club's business and not our's) but replacing him with equal or better quality but younger would take a big transfer fee and wages. At this current moment I wouldn't trust our scouting system to unearth an unpolished gem, however Cocu and his staff may know of someone. His health problems would be the biggest sticking point for me. He seems to be ok at the moment. He's looking fit and is hungry (football wise, food wise I haven't got a clue). If he can maintain his health and form then there are few better than him at what he does. Obviously it would be good for ffp if we could convince him to take a pay cut, but we probably wouldn't gain much anyway replacing him. I probably wouldn't even wait too long to offer him the extension if his health is controlled as he has always performed well for us when happy and settled. The length of the contract would be my biggest doubt.

ps I don't understand the third option. What if he scores nine goals but gets 30 assists?

Just now, richinspain said:

I can't see him bettering, and probably not even equalling, his current rumoured salary (yes I know that we don't know how much he earns, and it really is his and the club's business and not our's) but replacing him with equal or better quality but younger would take a big transfer fee and wages. At this current moment I wouldn't trust our scouting system to unearth an unpolished gem, however Cocu and his staff may know of someone. His health problems would be the biggest sticking point for me. He seems to be ok at the moment. He's looking fit and is hungry (football wise, food wise I haven't got a clue). If he can maintain his health and form then there are few better than him at what he does. Obviously it would be good for ffp if we could convince him to take a pay cut, but we probably wouldn't gain much anyway replacing him. I probably wouldn't even wait too long to offer him the extension if his health is controlled as he has always performed well for us when happy and settled. The length of the contract would be my biggest doubt.

ps I don't understand the third option. What if he scores nine goals but gets 30 assists?

We bin him of course ?

15 minutes ago, Xlor said:

Not for me. Decent but never gonna be a 25 goal a season man which is needed to get out of this division. Free up some cash and try another striker. 

When fully fit Marriott is the potential 20-25 goal a season striker but someone needs to supply the chances and Martin is still capable of doing that. 

The decision on his contract doesn't need to be made for another 6 months when his contribution to the season will become more apparent.

3 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Oh and as a side note if Martin was fit and healthy last season and we had kept him just imagine how good we could have been with Marriott, Mount, wilson and Lawrence coming onto his lay offs  

To be fair, Waghorn was outstanding towards the end of last season. I would say that the only time we really could have done with CM was at Wembley when Waghorn was injured.

Think the poll in this thread is lacking another option or two. 

I’d leave it until towards the end of the season and assess how he’s doing, and hope Cocu also has an idea of what he wants to bring in and how this might affect things, then IF we decide to keep him he needs to take a massive wage cut. 

I'm with @Srg here. None of the options suit what I would want. I'd definitely want him to stay, but without condition - probably not. He must be one of the highest earners at the club at this point and I'd have to wait until the end of the season before definitely saying give him another few years on those wages.

21 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

To be fair, Waghorn was outstanding towards the end of last season. I would say that the only time we really could have done with CM was at Wembley when Waghorn was injured.

Yes he was you are correct but all hypothetical but maybe we would have achieved automatic but I would have liked to have watched it 

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Neither Vydra nor Waghorn managed that. Who have you in mind?

25 goals is a loose term. You get what i mean though. A prolific striker. Personally id be rid of waghorn too and possibly Marriott. I like pace and power which isnt easy to come by i know but with these 3 gone im sure we could get something. Maybe some dutch kid or someone similar to grant from huddersfield. Who knows. I got excited when we signed dickinson and look how that turned out?. Both the red bull teams have an astonishing amount of young, quick, attacking talent just wasting away on the bench. A loan would do. Failing that, id settle for zlatan?.

1 hour ago, Xlor said:

Not for me. Decent but never gonna be a 25 goal a season man which is needed to get out of this division. Free up some cash and try another striker. 

Vydra Blackman Jerome Waghorn Marriott - how many got 25 goals a  season for us? They have cost about £30million nearly with only about £12 million being returned It’s all about partnerships and teamwork to get out of this league for me and Martin and Marriott could well do that just as Martin and Vydra could have 

24 minutes ago, Srg said:

Think the poll in this thread is lacking another option or two. 

I’d leave it until towards the end of the season and assess how he’s doing, and hope Cocu also has an idea of what he wants to bring in and how this might affect things, then IF we decide to keep him he needs to take a massive wage cut. 

Agree right up to the last sentence.

If he plays as much and as well from now to the season's end as he has done recently, and Cocu decides to offer another year as he's been so important, why should he take a massive pay cut?

5 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Agree right up to the last sentence.

If he plays as much and as well from now to the season's end as he has done recently, and Cocu decides to offer another year as he's been so important, why should he take a massive pay cut?

Because the players we are bringing in and the way the club is being run is very much different to a few years ago, I would certainly imagine that his wage is an outlier within the squad. And not sure that’s a good thing. 

Archived