Should Chris Martin’s contract be extended?

Ellafella

Should Chris Martin’s contract be extended?  

221 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, angieram said:

This. 

Martin is happy and settled living in Derby. On the pitch he is our most intelligent player. Off the pitch he is articulate and realistic.

I could see Martin staying around the club, taking his badges and pursuing a career in management. 

I hope he stays.

Said everything I would have. Top professional, someone others could learn from 

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I wish i was Chris Martin ' old'

I don't think Martin is going to feel the ravages of age on the same way pacier players do.

Never had the pace to lose.

He is 31 tomorrow, club stated policy is to use younger players. That's all I'm saying.

I would only offer a one year with a second year option. When Rooney comes our average age is will be way up again.

This is tough one as I have no idea how Cocu wants us to create chances. I personally belong to school of thought in which the striker's type should be determined by the style how we create chances... and we don't create at all without Martin. As such, he is pivotal and maybe in the future he could offer different option at least? 

I'd offer a contract as keeping him would be much cheaper than buying someone who is having similar ability. I love watching his technical ability and vision and absolutely hate it when he drops to his ass too easily.

Voted the last option but that’s not exactly what I mean. What we don’t want to do, is jump into handing out contracts to older players too early, when they may not have any real value were they to fall out of our plans. That’s how you end up with the situation we’ve had too often recently where we have players surplus to requirements on our books that we can’t shift because noone will take them, and they end up stuck with the U23s. So we have to be careful not to jump in with a contact offer too soon, not until we know he’s still gonna form part of our plans beyond this season. 

That said of course, he’s established himself as our first choice striker over the last couple of games with some good performances, goals and assists. And if he keeps these performances up, and retains his role in the team, then of course he’s still part of our plans and deserves a new deal. I’d argue, rather than the condition being him scoring 10 goals this season, that the condition should be that he’s still playing a significant role for the team come January time. If he continues in this vein and that is the case in the new year, then I’d definitely offer him a year or two in a new deal.

1 minute ago, FindernRam said:

He is 31 tomorrow, club stated policy is to use younger players. That's all I'm saying.

I would only offer a one year with a second year option. When Rooney comes our average age is will be way up again.

I agree that would be a sensible contract for all parties.

17 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

This is tough one as I have no idea how Cocu wants us to create chances. I personally belong to school of thought in which the striker's type should be determined by the style how we create chances... and we don't create at all without Martin. As such, he is pivotal and maybe in the future he could offer different option at least? 

I'd offer a contract as keeping him would be much cheaper than buying someone who is having similar ability. I love watching his technical ability and vision and absolutely hate it when he drops to his ass too easily.

I've always said he's a clever no10 trapped in a no9's body

40 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Be good to be one of those 12 months but with a further 12 months auto triggered if he plays enough games.

Ahhh the Darren Bent model ?

I think you’ve got to respect Martin as a professional but learn from the complete gash we’ve made of previous contracts.

37 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

When was 31 old? He’s only a year older than Waghorn!

I can’t vote with the selections available currently as

an advocate of put him in the team also play Marriott next to him then yes but it obviously has to be on greatly reduced terms we would assume and assuming his health is ok 

if we are going to play football and pass the ball to a forward then who is better in the championship? And it makes plenty of sense as he doesn’t cost a transfer fee and he actually has nothing to prove but just play his normal game and sure he isn’t going to play every game or possibly even the whole 90 mins every week but he definitely adds value to the team 

Well that depends on whether 

(a) there is a better option currently at the club and 

(b) whether the club is capable of getting an improved replacement in 

On the above evidence then it's a resounding yes which is more to do with the clubs abysmal dealings in the transfer market than anything else 

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Oh and as a side note if Martin was fit and healthy last season and we had kept him just imagine how good we could have been with Marriott, Mount, wilson and Lawrence coming onto his lay offs  

Yes indeed although @Sparkle by CM’s own admission his condition struck and he wasn’t really fit enough last season and he should have not tried to play like he did. 

I’d offer him a year plus another if it suited both parties, on reduced terms hoping the prospect of some playing time with Rooney would be an incentive for him to agree.

I’ve long thought of him as a kind of poor man’s Sheringham, when he’s on it he can be a joy to watch. Hope he sticks around a bit longer but I wouldn’t go begging.

Just to add to my post on this topic, think you have to consider as well whether you’d be able to upgrade on him easily. While I don’t think he’s absolutely one of the top strikers in the division anymore - there are certainly a few better than him - he’s still a pretty damn good player at this level. We could improve on him, but we’d need good scouting (a likely story...) and a fair wod of cash. Simply wouldn’t be worth it imo when we’ve got a player who’s good enough to get us where we need to be. Certainly wouldn’t be a priority anyway, so if he’s willing to take reduced terms and he’s still involved, why not keep him around?

56 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I've always said he's a clever no10 trapped in a no9's body

It was delightful yesterday. Big un and a little un with an AM who was hungry. .. that was the first game we had 3 Attackers buzzing at the same time. 

Archived