The Kelle Roos Prayer?

DazaDunn

On 24/10/2019 at 23:05, superzak said:

If they pull on a Derby shirt im willing to back them...Roos is awful i cant see how he ever gets in the team...thats the best backing for him i can muster sorry

I've not seen much of Ben Hamer, but have to assume he is considered not as good as Roos. In which I tend to think this is possibly the weakest goalkeeping selection I can remember.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, bcnram said:

I don't have an issue with Roos in goal. I can't think of that many goals that I would lay the blame solely on his shoulders. He is young in terms of goalkeeping. We have bigger issues in the team than the goalkeeper,

Roos is our weak link..he makes the defence nervous  with his inept handling. Clarke does full pirouettes to avoid passing it back.

11 hours ago, Sweetness34 said:

I really don't like the sarcastic cheering when he makes a catch. I would guess it's effecting his decision making. Take that punch in the 94th minute the other night for example, perhaps he would have caught it if our fans hadn't made it obvious they don't think he can catch and he wasn't terrified of making a mistake to further fuel them

If its effecting his decision making, surely he would have caught it?

25 minutes ago, bcnram said:

I don't have an issue with Roos in goal. I can't think of that many goals that I would lay the blame solely on his shoulders. He is young in terms of goalkeeping. We have bigger issues in the team than the goalkeeper,

Charlton second.

In reality though, I think he's making the defence worse. His inability to be commanding makes the defence play differently. It also leads to unrest in the crowd. That's not going to change sadly so the only way around this is a new GK.

34 minutes ago, superzak said:

Roos is our weak link..he makes the defence nervous  with his inept handling. Clarke does full pirouettes to avoid passing it back.

Roos’ weakness is his aerial ability (catching crosses). He’s undoubtedly one of the very best at this level in terms of receiving the ball from his own players (especially under pressure).

10 hours ago, Andicis said:

Last season we won games and the defence looked confident with Roos. It's only after Wembley with everyone jumping down him that he's looked like he's lacking in confidence and that is hardly a surprise.

Last Easter I would have been thinking Roos as valuable multi million asset.

I am sure the balance of catch vs punch/slap/flap was much better then also.

At the moment he will probably only try and catch the simplest of crosses (those that I would also expect an amateur keeper to also feel confident on).

If this is confidence then I struggle with management picking such out of form/mentally with it player.

If it is coaching then bloody hell, how can they be happy with the poor flap/punches.

Something not right for me here.

33 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Charlton second.

In reality though, I think he's making the defence worse. His inability to be commanding makes the defence play differently. It also leads to unrest in the crowd. That's not going to change sadly so the only way around this is a new GK.

Curtis Davis jumping with his back to the ball was far more culpable. Roos took a couple of steps out but not sure staying on his line would have made a great difference. 

Won us 3 points the other night with a couple of decent one on one stops. Not sure why he is not more confident when coming for the ball in the air, I'd love to know what they work on in training. He's a big lad and very athletic so I'd expect him to dominate the 6 yard box but it seems theres some sort of communication problem between him and the CB's.

He deserves our fullest support while wearing the shirt and we should get behind him as fans.

I don't think Roos has been good enough this season, and I think if we had more competition for the GK spot then he wouldn't be in at the moment. He cannot command his area and seems very indecisive.

Obviously I don't know, but I wonder if Wembley is still haunting him a bit. Whatever it is he's not inspiring confidence at the moment.

It always amuses me when people describe a keeper as a "good shot stopper". If you're not you shouldn't be a keeper - that's the very least that should be expected.

12 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Won us 3 points the other night with a couple of decent one on one stops. Not sure why he is not more confident when coming for the ball in the air, I'd love to know what they work on in training. He's a big lad and very athletic so I'd expect him to dominate the 6 yard box but it seems theres some sort of communication problem between him and the CB's.

He deserves our fullest support while wearing the shirt and we should get behind him as fans.

Perhaps we could boost his confidence by surfing a naked banner of him?

Problem with Roos to an extent was his contract being up.

He got in the team, which coincided with a decent run, and then we decided he was worth a new deal when initially I wouldn't have been surprised to see him released if he hadn't got those games.

So he's in the first team, kept Carson out a while, and Frank decides he's a first team player, even if its in rotation.

Roos gets a new contract, but rather than on the under 23s/cover salary, he demands and promptly gets a first team wage.

Derby now have 2 first team keepers on a combined £40k(?) and decide that it is better to 1. offload Carson due to him having the larger salary, and 2. Roos is more likely to develop as Carson goes the other way as age catches up with him.

I said at the time we should have gone ahead and removed Roos from the wage bill, I don't think we would ever have been looking at a real monetary asset. Pretty sure the best he would have ended up at in summer is Barnsley, probably league one. Soon he'll just be another FFP liability. 

There's a reason every set piece against us is dropped right on his nose. 

One thing that he is good at is his distribution imo. It's obviously not world class but for a young keeper in the 2nd tier I think he's very good with the ball at his feet. And yeah, he's an adequate shot stoppe

But I think anyone who defends his aerial ability is just trying to ease the fan pressure. You can't seriously be pleased with his flapping about? I mean even a successful punch isn't necessarily a good thing. If a catch could relieve pressure then that's what he should be doing to give the team that mental boost

He somehow wants to catch everything under arm too. With his height he has an advantage he refuses to use and lets the ball come down to a level that everybody can compete at. 

He's not even got a good punch. 

But Leeds have a crap keeper too and you don't see them losing to Charlton, Brentford and Hull with -8 GD. He's not the biggest concern. He's not good though

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

There's a reason every set piece against us is dropped right on his nose. 

One thing that he is good at is his distribution imo. It's obviously not world class but for a young keeper in the 2nd tier I think he's very good with the ball at his feet. And yeah, he's an adequate shot stoppe

But I think anyone who defends his aerial ability is just trying to ease the fan pressure. You can't seriously be pleased with his flapping about? I mean even a successful punch isn't necessarily a good thing. If a catch could relieve pressure then that's what he should be doing to give the team that mental boost

He somehow wants to catch everything under arm too. With his height he has an advantage he refuses to use and lets the ball come down to a level that everybody can compete at. 

But Leeds have a crap keeper too and you don't see them losing to Charlton, Brentford and Hull with -8 GD. He's not the biggest concern. He's not good though

Had two aerial balls to deal with yesterday and caught them cleanly. 

At corners he was being hassled by two Hull players. Referee had words twice with Hull players about it but did nothing. In fact he seemed more intent on telling Bielik off for trying to prevent it happening. 

15 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

I don't know about his prayer but I think the players and fans alike should be saying a prayer whenever the ball goes anywhere near him.  Atrocious goalkeeper in my opinion.

Maybe the fans should have a prayer before the game hoping we turn up.

36 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Having watched lots of brave or stupid keepers over the years Roos strikes me as a keeper in the 'not very brave' mould. If Cocu comes out and says he's getting coaching for his aerial ability that says it all really. He's not really a young keeper any more - interested to see last years U18 keeper go out on loan to Stevenage yesterday - and he is what he is.

33 minutes ago, angieram said:

Had two aerial balls to deal with yesterday and caught them cleanly. 

At corners he was being hassled by two Hull players. Referee had words twice with Hull players about it but did nothing. In fact he seemed more intent on telling Bielik off for trying to prevent it happening. 

I thought he spilled one yesterday. I know their keeper did and that was an easy take! 

I thought Roos had a decent game overall yesterday though. I thought most players were between decent and good. 

Just the second half I thought Bielik and Dowell just stopped. Lawrence dropped off. Then Martin because he was now on his own. And eventually the backline started to weaken too. 

More annoyed at Cocu for persevering when it was clear on the hour mark that Hull were taking over. 

Roos kicking was good

Archived