The Kelle Roos Prayer?

DazaDunn

The attitude towards Roos is pathetic. Have we really reached the depths of sarcastically cheering our own keeper? The only thing that does is damage his confidence and for a team low enough in that department, stupid. What Roos may lack in goalkeeping they lack more in intelligence. 

He earnt his place last season. We all know he needs to work on his catching and command of his area, Cocu has said as much but he is still making the saves and good distribution. More than likely we would be in more crap with Carson playing this season. Carson probably had the best few seasons of his career with us, but last season was a shadow of that player. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Papahet said:

He’s 6’5 and struggles to take a ball out the air, that’s pretty poor IMO.

Carson was poor, but we won games and the defence looked fairly confident with him at the back, it really doesn’t nowadays with Roos 

In Carson's best season, he only averaged 2.7 saves per game (the other seasons were 2.2-2.3). Roos is currently averaging 2.9 per game. Given the number of goals we're conceding, that suggests to me it's a team problem rather than who's between the sticks.

12 hours ago, DazaDunn said:

Hi guys, 

totally random but before every game, Kelle Roos turns towards the fans, puts his arms out to his side and does something with his fingers, holds for a few seconds and then turns to face the game....

Any idea what he does and why he does it? Is it a prayer of some form? 

To answer your question, I think he is saying a prayer before kick off. Possibly something along the lines of ”look after me today, help me perform, you’re bigger than all of this, etc.”

I don’t know if that’s 100% accurate, but being a Christian and playing with other people of faith, it’s fairly common before kick off for that to happen

A keeper can only be great if the defense infront of him is...

Roos was great last season but we had that incredible partnership of Tomori & Keogh.

Now Roos is getting more and more pressure with a not as good central partnership infront of him

He'll learn though, hes still relatively young for a keeper. 

5 minutes ago, Squid said:

A keeper can only be great if the defense infront of him is...

Roos was great last season but we had that incredible partnership of Tomori & Keogh.

Now Roos is getting more and more pressure with a not as good central partnership infront of him

He'll learn though, hes still relatively young for a keeper. 

It also doesn't help when you give away 10 penalties in 13 games. Roos has a very good record in saving 4 of those. The division on the whole has a save percentage of only 22.5%.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

It also doesn't help when you give away 10 penalties in 13 games. Roos has a very good record in saving 4 of those. The division on the whole has a save percentage of only 22.5%.

Thing is we had Tomori who was absolutely rapid, and Keogh who isn't exactly fast but can still run. Now we've got Davies & Clarke who are both very slow,, Atleast last season if one centreback messed up the other was able to chase after the ball/player.

11 hours ago, Andicis said:

Interesting how Carson's stock has risen just because he isn't here. He was crap last year, why everyone keeps questioning loaning out Carson is beyond me. He had a rubbish last year and was dropped for performing worse than Roos, 2017 Carson is gone. 

Pretty sure people were saying the exact same thing about Martin...

I really don't like the sarcastic cheering when he makes a catch. I would guess it's effecting his decision making. Take that punch in the 94th minute the other night for example, perhaps he would have caught it if our fans hadn't made it obvious they don't think he can catch and he wasn't terrified of making a mistake to further fuel them

4 hours ago, Papahet said:

He’s 6’5 and struggles to take a ball out the air, that’s pretty poor IMO.

Carson was poor, but we won games and the defence looked fairly confident with him at the back, it really doesn’t nowadays with Roos 

Last season we won games and the defence looked confident with Roos. It's only after Wembley with everyone jumping down him that he's looked like he's lacking in confidence and that is hardly a surprise.

We are where we are and have to deal with what we've got. I'm a big fan of Carson and Cocu is completely aware that Roos isn't commanding or decisive enough when it comes to set pieces. I wouldn't be surprised if Cocu decides to go for a new keeper if Roos doesn't improve in that respect.

I like how an innocent opening post asking what a player does pre-match has turned into a full on debate of his merits ?

May as well join in...

I'm a fan of Roos. He is a good shot-stopper, has a very good penalty saving record & is technically adept enough to 'play' from the back. Yeah, Wembley was dismal - plenty of good players have those days though.

Watched him a bit at AFC Wimbledon when he was on loan there & his command of the area was much better - in a division which thrives on big target men. He was still prone to the odd rush of blood but he was dominant & had something of a Manuel Neuer strut about him. They loved him there & would have had him permanently if it'd been an option.

We often forget he's only been first choice for about half a season at this level. I think there's a good keeper there & the confidence issue is key to him maximising his potential. In short, fans who sarcastically cheer him are absolute weapons ?

4 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In Carson's best season, he only averaged 2.7 saves per game (the other seasons were 2.2-2.3). Roos is currently averaging 2.9 per game. Given the number of goals we're conceding, that suggests to me it's a team problem rather than who's between the sticks.

Nah, you can read too much into stats like that.

The best thing to do is watch the game and you'll see he isn't a great keeper. Last few minutes against Wigan, he clearly should have caught the ball and lay on it for 10 seconds. He didn't, eleceted to do one of his punch thingys (even though it was easier to catch) and we gave a free kick away in a dangerous position a few seconds later.

The sooner h'es out of goal, the better for the team. 

22 hours ago, Andicis said:

No, he wasn't. That's why Lampard dropped him. Because he was playing rubbish and was a liability in net. Roos having a ropey season doesn't rewrite how badly Carson was playing the last few times we saw him in a Derby shirt. You clearly are looking at it under a lens of recency bias.

I can’t remember seeing many keepers who alarm me as much as Roos in 30 years of watching.

Archived