Investment Close

LB_DCFC

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

No arguments he has improved them, but none as yet could be considered as successful imo. 

You don't improve the academy and the following week you start producing and selling players for millions. But, our academy is now showing good signs of bringing a big number of players through to either first team or to sell on for profit. 

I think Mel could bring Champions League football to Derby and some supporters wouldn't be happy until they'd won it. We could get promoted this season and finish top half next season, but, some supporters would deem it as just an OK season because if we hadn't drawn so many games, we'd have made top 4. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CHCDerby said:

You don't improve the academy and the following week you start producing and selling players for millions. But, our academy is now showing good signs of bringing a big number of players through to either first team or to sell on for profit. 

I think Mel could bring Champions League football to Derby and some supporters wouldn't be happy until they'd won it. We could get promoted this season and finish top half next season, but, some supporters would deem it as just an OK season because if we hadn't drawn so many games, we'd have made top 4. 

dare say you will find fester fans moaning in the last few seasons and man city ones now.  It comes with the territory for some reason.  The moaners do tend to believe they are the fountain of all knowledge as it relates to football

2 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

Mel has been in charge for 4/5 years now?

I think now is the time that his investment in the academy will start paying dividends. 

The signs are good.

Now the decision has to be whether we keep our best academy players or sell them to balance the books.

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

dare say you will find fester fans moaning in the last few seasons and man city ones now.  It comes with the territory for some reason.  The moaners do tend to believe they are the fountain of all knowledge as it relates to football

Yep, I agree. I suppose thats not just football, they think they are the fountain of knowledge.

1 minute ago, CHCDerby said:

2 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

All well and good, but it’s not a successful model yet. Where is this big number of players that are coming through to the first team ?

Other than Bogle, no one as yet has broken into the first team, yes under teams are doing great however none of them are getting into a team that is in the lower reaches of the second division of the England leagues.

Its not about “some supporters” not being happy as you put it, you just don’t like someone pointing out the facts.  To date Mel has put in c100 million quid into a football club with a team that has is not as good as the one that took over, and is now having to go cap in hand looking for investors to carry on his project.

That for me is not what I would call a success, a year, two or 5 down line when we have gained promotion or our youth academy has produced players that are regularly playing or have been moved on for a hefty profit then I’d totally agree, but as at today, it’s not been successful. I’d also say that Mel would also say it hasn’t to date either.

8 minutes ago, Spanish said:

The moaners being ones that don’t agree with your opinion you mean. Not sure why it’s moaning because they don’t believe a model has been successful, but hey ho ?

We've had some of the most entertaining years under Mel's ownership.

We've built a fantastic academy in which we will soon see some top players come through (Can name a couple already, Knight, Whittaker, Sibley)

We would be in poo creek if it wasn't for the genius of his ways around FFP.

I could go on but how anyone can think Mel's not done a good job is mindboggling.

5 minutes ago, Squid said:

We've built a fantastic academy in which we will soon see some top players come through (Can name a couple already, Knight, Whittaker, Sibley)

I could go on but how anyone can think Mel's not done a good job is mindboggling.

bUt He DoNe A dRoNe ThInG tHaT oNe TiMe AnD hIrEd ThAt PeArSoN bLoKe!

Mocking-Spongebob.jpg

9 minutes ago, Squid said:

I presume that is referring to my post, apologies if not.

Im not doubting his commitment, I just said to date he has not been successful at Derby, big difference ?

11 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

The moaners being ones that don’t agree with your opinion you mean. Not sure why it’s moaning because they don’t believe a model has been successful, but hey ho ?

no I have never said that, not sure I deserved a rebuke but if that's your style so be it.

Just now, Spanish said:

no I have never said that, not sure I deserved a rebuke but if that's your style so be it.

Given you were quoting a post in reply to mine, who was you referring to ?

Apologies if it was not directed at me however it seemed that way ?

We have achieved nothing, and produced 1 player thus far proven capable of playing first team football (if you can class as produced when signed from Swindon at 16)

So really Mel's tenure hasn't been a success at all, no doubting he's a great bloke and we have had some 'good times' but success, nope.

5 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I presume that is referring to my post, apologies if not.

Im not doubting his commitment, I just said to date he has not been successful at Derby, big difference ?

No mate, It's more a point I made in general, always see people slating him etc..

For him to be branded as "Successful", we will need to be promoted.

However him and Cocu I'm sure are working towards putting the foundations in place for us to make a real push for promotion, steadily and more securely.

I think this time in 5 years you will be able to say he has been successful.

Long term visions are always more sustainable and beneficial than short term.

Archived