Relegation or Rowett?

Jonesy90

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jonesy90 said:

Have Derby got the bottle to stick by Cocu as he builds but takes the club on a downward trajectory?

This smells of a season of huge disappointment and the lack of quality, unfortunate injury record and off-the-field events are confirming this suspicion.

The question is, will impatience in the face of an impending investment in the club mean Derby act sooner rather than later? Rowett would be the go-to manager - Derby would just have to swallow some pride and footballing quality to make the decision.

I sense tension mounting...

Rowett??????

I'd rather support the treetards than watch another Derby team under him.

Jesus h Christ.

4 hours ago, GrimsbyRam said:

Farke brought in decent signings and played his youngsters.  Cocu promised to play youngsters but all that has happened is the average age of the side is getting older (Davies, Martin, Paterson, Shinnie, Jozefzoon etc). We haven't won away from home in the league for nearly 2 1/2 months. If this continues we will not be as high as 15th.

And maybe Cocu will ,give the guy chance we are 12 games into the season with players he inherited 

19 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

If things don’t get better by the next international break, then I personally think we have to very seriously consider sacking Cocu. Don’t really care what he’s achieved in the past, this so far has been an absolutely shocking start to a managerial reign- the worst since the entirely incompetent Pearson, which speaks volumes. 

Yes, we have to give cocu time to impress his style on the players, but I really can’t see where we’re going at the moment. There really doesn’t appear to be anything we’re working towards that’ll see us become a team with any actual threat, or indeed ability up the other end, based on the majority of performances we’ve seen so far. All well and good being able to play the possession game, but you’ve got to do far more than that. You’ve got to show the energy, the desire, the movement required to win a football match if we’re ever going to achieve anything. So far under cocu we’ve shown precious precious little of any of that, all far too lethargic. And every time he actually gets some time to work with the players, we just seem to get worse. I really can’t see anything to give me any hope that it’s gonna get any better atm.

Clearly we can’t be too knee jerk, as he’s working under tough conditions with our worst squad on paper in a decade, and an entirely useless recruitment team who conducted an absolute disaster of a summer transfer window. It’s certainly not been easy for him, compounded by a team who seem to basically not give a flying duck, and are more concerned with having a piss up on a Wednesday night than they are on putting in 100% on a Saturday. The lack of effort from certain players this season has been an absolute disgrace at times, and clearly some aren’t playing for the manager imo. They can’t get away with that, and we need to be moving certain toxic individuals on as a greater priority than the manager, some of whom have seen previous managers sacked already. But equally, the manager has got to be getting more out of the players than he is right now. Some of our results have been embarrassing given the quality of the two teams on paper, and our league position is frankly unacceptable.

Never buy this transition season poo myself, footballs far too cut throat for that, so if things don’t improve soon, then yes Cocu has to go. We’ve just not shown enough signs of at least having some decent foundations to keep him on if things don’t change soon, simple as that imo, irrespective of the threat of relegation. But bringing Rowett back as his replacement?! Not a ducking chance. His philosophy towards the game is horrendous and he doesn’t even guarantee results in this division as his time at stoke shows- and that’s before going into the fact that he dropped us at the first sign of things getting tough. He wouldn’t be welcome back here, and nor would he remotely be the correct choice of manager. Fail to see why he’d be the obvious choice anyway, there’ll be plenty of other options far better out there I’m sure-particulary if there’s the promise of fresh investment.

Hang about, if our squad is terrible, recruitment is terrible and manager is doing a terrible job, we must have had some unbelievable luck to be sat where we are in the league.

8 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Hang about, if our squad is terrible, recruitment is terrible and manager is doing a terrible job, we must have had some unbelievable luck to be sat where we are in the league.

What, 15th? Forget that that’s such a brilliant achievement, scrap everything I’ve said then if everyone’s happy with that. And yes, we have had some pretty unbelievable luck- we had Luton throw the game against us, and we beat an absolutely awful Huddersfield side. The only result really that we properly fought for was that Birmingham result as I’ve said before.

6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

What, 15th? Forget that that’s such a brilliant achievement, scrap everything I’ve said then if everyone’s happy with that. And yes, we have had some pretty unbelievable luck- we had Luton throw the game against us, and we beat an absolutely awful Huddersfield side. The only result really that we properly fought for was that Birmingham result as I’ve said before.

Didn’t say I was happy with it. I said if everything is as terrible as you suggest then 15th isn’t so bad.

Personally I would say 15th is okay given the wider situation and context of the season so far, then again I’m not a hyperbolic reactionary. 

You have literally said our squad is the worst in a decade. If that is true (it isn’t) then Cocu is doing a cracking job. You can not have it all ways. We have an average squad with serious holes (I agree with you on recruitment) and I would say Cocu is doing an average job but with lots of mitigating circumstances.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Gary Rowett definitely doesn't come with ugly winning football. 

Alex Neil is better but had less hype. That's how "meh" Gary is when he's done talking like he's a tactical genius

I actually think Neil flatters to deceive a bit.

Edit: If they stay in the play offs, I take that back!

23 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

If things don’t get better by the next international break, then I personally think we have to very seriously consider sacking Cocu. Don’t really care what he’s achieved in the past, this so far has been an absolutely shocking start to a managerial reign- the worst since the entirely incompetent Pearson, which speaks volumes. 

Yes, we have to give cocu time to impress his style on the players, but I really can’t see where we’re going at the moment. There really doesn’t appear to be anything we’re working towards that’ll see us become a team with any actual threat, or indeed ability up the other end, based on the majority of performances we’ve seen so far. All well and good being able to play the possession game, but you’ve got to do far more than that. You’ve got to show the energy, the desire, the movement required to win a football match if we’re ever going to achieve anything. So far under cocu we’ve shown precious precious little of any of that, all far too lethargic. And every time he actually gets some time to work with the players, we just seem to get worse. I really can’t see anything to give me any hope that it’s gonna get any better atm.

Clearly we can’t be too knee jerk, as he’s working under tough conditions with our worst squad on paper in a decade, and an entirely useless recruitment team who conducted an absolute disaster of a summer transfer window. It’s certainly not been easy for him, compounded by a team who seem to basically not give a flying duck, and are more concerned with having a piss up on a Wednesday night than they are on putting in 100% on a Saturday. The lack of effort from certain players this season has been an absolute disgrace at times, and clearly some aren’t playing for the manager imo. They can’t get away with that, and we need to be moving certain toxic individuals on as a greater priority than the manager, some of whom have seen previous managers sacked already. But equally, the manager has got to be getting more out of the players than he is right now. Some of our results have been embarrassing given the quality of the two teams on paper, and our league position is frankly unacceptable.

Never buy this transition season poo myself, footballs far too cut throat for that, so if things don’t improve soon, then yes Cocu has to go. We’ve just not shown enough signs of at least having some decent foundations to keep him on if things don’t change soon, simple as that imo, irrespective of the threat of relegation. But bringing Rowett back as his replacement?! Not a ducking chance. His philosophy towards the game is horrendous and he doesn’t even guarantee results in this division as his time at stoke shows- and that’s before going into the fact that he dropped us at the first sign of things getting tough. He wouldn’t be welcome back here, and nor would he remotely be the correct choice of manager. Fail to see why he’d be the obvious choice anyway, there’ll be plenty of other options far better out there I’m sure-particulary if there’s the promise of fresh investment.

That's totally unfair on the players... Piss Up's are Tuesday nights!   

5 hours ago, nottingram said:

Didn’t say I was happy with it. I said if everything is as terrible as you suggest then 15th isn’t so bad.

Personally I would say 15th is okay given the wider situation and context of the season so far, then again I’m not a hyperbolic reactionary. 

You have literally said our squad is the worst in a decade. If that is true (it isn’t) then Cocu is doing a cracking job. You can not have it all ways. We have an average squad with serious holes (I agree with you on recruitment) and I would say Cocu is doing an average job but with lots of mitigating circumstances.

Everything is “terrible” when judged as a team that should be targeting promotion to the premier league, which we should be doing. For a team like that, 15th is awful, no ifs, no buts. And I don’t want to hear “it’s a transition season” cause for that to be the case, we’ve gotta be transitioning into summat half decent.

Im not a hyperbolic reactionary if you read my post all the way through, I quite clearly note that there are mitigating circumstances that have made the job harder. And I haven’t called for cocus head right now either, I’ve simply said if things don’t pick up within the next 5-10 games, then we probably need to be assessing whether the future were heading towards is the right one- otherwise we may need a manager change.

I stand by my claim that the squad is the worst at the very least since clough left, I’d argue since around 2010 myself. But most squads since then have finished in and around the top 6, so even a squad worse than them shouldn’t be this poor. Cocu should still be getting more out of them. I’m not expecting us to win the league, or even go up, I’m just expected a clear style of play conducive to long term success, and some decent results along the way where we don’t embarrass ourselves.

We won’t get relegated, Our home form will always keep us up.   Not many sides will come to pride park and beat us, we won’t lose more than 5 this season. We are just very poor away, i blame it on the players mentality to go and grind out a result.

Archived