Morris turns down 50m for Derby

Dcfcsr92

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just looking at accounts to see where the figure of £50m/£60m could come from.

Ignoring the ground transaction, net assets are circa £40m, rough figures:-

Players £50m

Fixed Assets £15m

Working Capital -£25m

Since that point we have signed Bielek and Rooney.

From the big value players lost Blackman, Butterfield and Johnson.

Of course the value of players only includes signing on fees, so does not account for any academy players nor for any players gaining value (if there are any!)

7 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Not even an attempted rehash of The Sun's story.

It would be good to get some kind of context from Mel, he is usually happy to talk to the media.

He’s unlikely to say anything until a deal is signed & sealed and to be fair he has already said some time ago that he is looking for other parties to share the load. That is why he has “bought” the stadium so he retains control over the ground. There’s nothing else to say until the ink is dry on a contract. 

50m is peanuts to buy a (championship) football club nowadays. I’d have thought we’d be looking at north of 80-100m

MM has put in god knows how much on Moor Farm/Academy. 

Also don’t know many mega rich Americans running football clubs in the UK with success, do you?

2 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/10122175/Derby-mel-morris-60m-to-sell-bid-rejected/

Here's the Sun's original piece, worth noting the article said Americans had already flown in before Mel upped the price. 

One would hope the haggling on price isn't a sign of conservative spending/asset sales to come. 

Chlorinated chicken wraps for sale on the concourse?

?

20 minutes ago, Papahet said:

50m is peanuts to buy a (championship) football club nowadays. I’d have thought we’d be looking at north of 80-100m

Also don’t know many mega rich Americans running football clubs in the UK with success, do you?

No idea what you are basing an estimate of 80-100m on. I'd say Mel would be playing an absolute blinder to get £60 mill for a Championship team that loses millions every month and doesn't even own its largest asset. 

Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal are all owned by Americans. Technically Crystal Palace is majority owned by Americans as well. All have been pretty successful before this season.

Swansea and Millwall are the only two Championship clubs owned by Americans, but the owner of Portsmouth is probably the most famous American owner in the EFL thanks to his past with Disney.

Maybe unfair, but I am wary of American owners purely because of the previous group we had and I am still not convinced that the new group doesn't include Gillette who has apparently kept in touch with Mel since he visited Pride Park a few months back.

I hope he's not going to be out the picture. The only reason we're in the current situation we're in (great academy, great training ground, top manager) is because of all the ground work Mel has done over the years he's been owner. Whatever ends up happening I hope he stays on to see his vision through.

3 minutes ago, Shang said:

I hope he's not going to be out the picture. The only reason we're in the current situation we're in (great academy, great training ground, top manager) is because of all the ground work Mel has done over the years he's been owner. Whatever ends up happening I hope he stays on to see his vision through.

You start to get the feeling this was always the plan. The sale of the ground to his company ensures we don't end up in a Coventry Cituation (now, that was good...). But he has been quite open that he doesn't have the funds to mount a serious attempt to stay in the Prem. That said, he isn't here for the money (re: Lamps and Jody's comments about him in his leaving statement) so you wonder if he hasn't realised that, once he has protected the club from the risk of asset strippng, the best thing to do might be for him to step aside.

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

Nationality is irrelevant, the only thing you need to be to run a top football club these days is rich and in it for anything but return on investment.....

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

Liverpool’s owners seemed to be doing ok, last time I checked.

Archived