Morris turns down 50m for Derby

Dcfcsr92

I don't think Mel would leave the club the club in the lurch and sell to anyone without getting some sort  'guarantees'. After all he has spent a lot of time,effort,hard work and money building the club up.

As mentioned in earlier posts, the separating of the club's major asset i.e. the ground from the club itself is a masterstroke. It mean he can step back and let the 'new' owners takeover but make sure they cannot completely asset strip the club leaving it a worse state than they purchased it. I am sure he also wish to retain some 'smaller' stake in the boardroom.    

Any new injection of capital into the club is beneficial to both balance the books and provide funds to move the club forward both on and off the field. 

Let's wait and see what transpires

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

I don't think Mel would leave the club the club in the lurch and sell to anyone without getting some sort  'guarantees'. After all he has spent a lot of time,effort,hard work and money building the club up.

As mentioned in earlier posts, the separating of the club's major asset i.e. the ground from the club itself is a masterstroke. It mean he can step back and let the 'new' owners takeover but make sure they cannot completely asset strip the club leaving it a worse state than they purchased it. I am sure he also wish to retain some 'smaller' stake in the boardroom.    

Any new injection of capital into the club is beneficial to both balance the books and provide funds to move the club forward both on and off the field. 

Let's wait and see what transpires

"Building the club up" it could be argued we are worse off under Mel's ownership. Yes he's invested in the academy heavily. But constant management change, and an aging squad has put us back to mid table. 

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

50m is peanuts to buy a (championship) football club nowadays. I’d have thought we’d be looking at north of 80-100m

MM has put in god knows how much on Moor Farm/Academy. 

Also don’t know many mega rich Americans running football clubs in the UK with success, do you?

Interested to know how you reach the conclusion we are worth £80m to £100m?

Surely the club is only worth what assets it has?

Suppose you could argue the brand has as certain amount of goodwill but this is more than offset by the fact that the club makes losses year on year.

You could also argue that although the players are valued at their cost value this completely ignores wages due as part of their contracts. For me players are a financial liability rather than an asset. As we have seen with George Thorne, an injury wipes out their value but wages still have to be paid.

Personally, I think investing in a Championship club is for people with more money than sense. You've got a 1 in 8 chance of getting promoted. 

14 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Didn’t GSE oversee one of best ever seasons? They got a bad rap, but they Put in all the foundations for us to get to Wembley and for Mel to takeover. You could argue that our financial potion has gotten considerably worse since Mel has been in charge.

It mostly wasnt their fault after the state the club was in when they bought it, but they also provided mostly crap seasons.

Mels had us in the playoffs for 3 of his 4 seasons here with one wembley trip.

3 minutes ago, GenBr said:

It mostly wasnt their fault after the state the club was in when they bought it, but they also provided mostly crap seasons.

...but ultimately provided us with the same outcome that we had under GSE, despite spending tens of millions on players

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

...but ultimately provided us with the same outcome that we had under GSE, despite spending tens of millions on players

Factually correct. However where would we be without the investment? It takes a looooooooooot of money to stand still in football!

3 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Factually correct. However where would we be without the investment? It takes a looooooooooot of money to stand still in football!

Who knows,  could be enjoying champions league football under clough.

1 hour ago, deanoakaram4life said:

"Building the club up" it could be argued we are worse off under Mel's ownership. Yes he's invested in the academy heavily. But constant management change, and an aging squad has put us back to mid table. 

Interesting that you would assess a club that has reached the play offs in three of the last four seasons as "mid table"

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Interesting that you would assess a club that has reached the play offs in three of the last four seasons as "mid table"

And also an aging squad. 

I'm really looking forward to the days when we have players that dont get older, does anyone know if Peter Pan is available?

The state of the club is a little more than something as transient as its position in the league table.

You could argue that but I think if you tried to back it up with evidence the argument would fall flat on its face!

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

Yes we’ve made it to the play offs, but we’ve always kinda snuck into them. The first wembley season we were resounding favourites to win them, we were the 3rd best team in the league without a shadow of a doubt but that’s football.

We got to the play offs that season by building for years signing players for modest fees, since then we spunked millions and haven’t been able to build a team as good as that. Throwing money at it doesn’t always lead to the best outcome. 

1 hour ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Yes we’ve made it to the play offs, but we’ve always kinda snuck into them. The first wembley season we were resounding favourites to win them, we were the 3rd best team in the league without a shadow of a doubt but that’s football.

We got to the play offs that season by building for years signing players for modest fees, since then we spunked millions and haven’t been able to build a team as good as that. Throwing money at it doesn’t always lead to the best outcome. 

We were good enough to make it to the playoffs under Mel though. In virtually the entirety of GSEs time in charge we were nowhere near and playing awful football.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

20th in the Prem, 18th, 14th, 19th, 12th, 10th, 3rd, 8th were our finishes under GSE. You are free to disagree, but whilst we haven't been promoted I do not feel the result has been the same under Mel who has given us 5th, 9th, 6th and 6th. We've been competing for promotion virtually every year under Mel and whilst I agree that spending isn't always the answer it's only a problem if Mel runs out of money or if the EFL decide it is a problem based on their arbitrary limits. If Mel has the money I'd rather see his style of running the club over 4-5 years of misery under GSE followed by maybe 1 good season.

7 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just looking at accounts to see where the figure of £50m/£60m could come from.

Ignoring the ground transaction, net assets are circa £40m, rough figures:-

Players £50m

Fixed Assets £15m

Working Capital -£25m

Since that point we have signed Bielek and Rooney.

From the big value players lost Blackman, Butterfield and Johnson.

Of course the value of players only includes signing on fees, so does not account for any academy players nor for any players gaining value (if there are any!)

Sorry m8 you are groping in the dark .In the article plenty of mention of 50million but no mention of  how big of share holding that you buy

6 hours ago, Papahet said:

50m is peanuts to buy a (championship) football club nowadays. I’d have thought we’d be looking at north of 80-100m

MM has put in god knows how much on Moor Farm/Academy. 

Also don’t know many mega rich Americans running football clubs in the UK with success, do you?

define club??????????

5 hours ago, Shang said:

I hope he's not going to be out the picture. The only reason we're in the current situation we're in (great academy, great training ground, top manager) is because of all the ground work Mel has done over the years he's been owner. Whatever ends up happening I hope he stays on to see his vision through.

Mel stated publicly that he intended to retain control

8 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

Sorry m8 you are groping in the dark .In the article plenty of mention of 50million but no mention of  how big of share holding that you buy

Good point! 

I'm not groping in the dark with my figures though, they are from the last accounts filed at Companies House.

48 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

Mel stated publicly that he intended to retain control

Got a source for that? The only thing i've seen is him saying he would like to stay, but would step away if the right offer came in. Some bidders have also asked him to stay on as chairman.

He mentioned at the last fans' forum (with Lampard as manager).

Can't remember his exact words, but it was along the lines of it being right for the club (obvious statement) and that he would like to still be involved, if not necessarily as owner or chairman. Seems obvious enough, given that he (his company) rather than DCFC owns the stadium.

I think its important he does stay involved.

Archived