Morris turns down 50m for Derby

Dcfcsr92

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes the Cornish are serious about it. They will probably join Scotland and Wales opting for independence. Cornwall could become 30th member state of Europe. Mass export of Pasties to the English ?

Brexit stronghold old bean. 

Cornwall, which has a population of just 530,000 people, voted resoundingly to leave the EU, with 56.52 per cent opting for leave – more than the national average - compared to 43.48 per cent voting to remain. From 2007 to 2013, €654m was given to fund projects and the local economy, the Financial Times reported. 

Still love the place, mind!

2 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Brexit stronghold old bean. 

Cornwall, which has a population of just 530,000 people, voted resoundingly to leave the EU, with 56.52 per cent opting for leave – more than the national average - compared to 43.48 per cent voting to remain. From 2007 to 2013, €654m was given to fund projects and the local economy, the Financial Times reported. 

Still love the place, mind!

Interesting. Could have been a very clever tactical vote, making their (possible future) claim for independence more plausible ? 

47 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Are those orange things used on roadworks called Road.... cons, cones or (In the light of recent events I will choose not to use that 3rd example) ???

Therefore they’re pronounced Sc0nes in Gods Country

If only the English language was that consistent. For me they're scons but my wife (from Yorkshire) calls them scOnes.

Another one we disagree on is via. I pronounce it vi-a whilst she say vee-a. 

13 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I've been advised it's jam and then cream by my resident high tea etiquette consultant.

Not a Devonian then! I am reliably informed the at the Ritz (never been there myself) it's butter then jam then cream and pronounced scon as in gone.

Saw a nice trick recently a, guy actually scooped out the centre of his scone so he could get more cream in! his missus looked really embarrassed and was giving him the eagle eye hard stare. 

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Not a Devonian then! I am reliably informed the at the Ritz (never been there myself) it's butter then jam then cream and pronounced scon as in gone.

Saw a nice trick recently a, guy actually scooped out the centre of his scone so he could get more cream in! his missus looked really embarrassed and was giving him the eagle eye hard stare. 

I have...…..but was too peed on the champers.

oh, and Samuel etoo paid then 20k per annum to park his car in their carpark when he played for Chelsea!  ?

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

I beg that whoever said this gets arrested

15 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

If only the English language was that consistent. For me they're scons but my wife (from Yorkshire) calls them scOnes.

Another one we disagree on is via. I pronounce it vi-a whilst she say vee-a. 

Your wife is a wise woman. ScOnes and veea are correct you heathen. Do you say bath as barth or baff. 

Next you'll be saying you put crisps in the fridge.

3 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Hmm, so all you have done is bought the conversation back to the original point.

Should he have put cream in there or jam first?????

5 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Your wife is a wise woman. ScOnes and veea are correct you heathen. Do you say bath as barth or baff. 

Next you'll be saying you put crisps in the fridge.

I live in Bath and my wife pronounces it Barth. I tried to point out that there is no 'R' in Bath. Or indeed path.

However my argument fell down when she mentioned grarss. ?

24 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I live in Bath and my wife pronounces it Barth. I tried to point out that there is no 'R' in Bath. Or indeed path.

And we're always on thin ice with pronunciation anyway

When I mention the extra 'r' to my Southern friends they just say Derby shouldn't be pronounced Darby but Deerrbee

Thats true I suppose, wonder why we do say it as Darby ??

1 minute ago, SamUltraRam said:

And we're always on thin ice with pronunciation anyway

When I mention the extra 'r' to my Southern friends they just say Derby shouldn't be pronounced Darby but Deerrbee

Thats true I suppose, wonder why we do say it as Darby ??

My best man made a terrific speech at my wedding basing around Derrbee and the fact he struggled to find a cer park for his cer, etc.

Very funny.

If you take a look of the history of Britain, Derby was once Darbi, it then became Darby. Foe some reason it moved onto Darby. So I guess that is why we still call it Darbi...

2 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

I had the same problem with Berkshire. I insisted to the cockneys down there that is pronounced as its spelt and not Barkshire. They then asked how i pronounced Derby and i have to now insist its Derby and not Darby to my cockney colleagues.

Archived