Is our support really that bad?

FindernRam

Lot of debates in various thread regarding how good or bad a our supporters are. Complaints about lack of atmosphere, getting on certain players backs, booing, general moaning and such like.

We have the third highest attendances in the League. Higher then at least 6 Premier Clubs. Given the size of our city, we attract probably one of the highest percentage attendances of the people available.

These people do not show up week after week , season after season, to perform some masochistic self flagellation (not in West stand at least missus!). They go to be entertained and support the team, actually in recent years entertainment has been pretty dire, so it has to be to support.

Because it is not cheap, fans are entitled to want to express emotion, good or bad, and in a football ground it is a good place to blow off steam which may be nothing to do with the footy. Years ago in the Normanton stand the bloke behind used to be yelling non stop from kick off to final whistle, often derisory, and this in the Champions era. Turned out he was an Undertaker! A week of sombre dealing with the dead, Saturday it all came out.

Watching Sky its pretty clear many clubs have negative minded supporters so I don't think we're that bad. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it isn't. A lot of people on here are more than happy to slag off our fans, but we're no worse than any other team in this league. People love to cite Leeds as this great example of unwavering support, but they dipped below 20k when they were struggling at the bottom of this league. We consistently get a high number of fans in each week, even with rip off ticket prices. 

Our fans get a lot of undeserved stick.

11 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

These people do not show up week after week , season after season, to perform some masochistic self flagellation (not in West stand at least missus!). They go to be entertained and support the team, actually in recent years entertainment has been pretty dire, so it has to be to support.

Speak for yourself mate...

?

IMO it is getting increasing worse in terms of moaning. Saturday for example, completely getting on the teams back for keeping possession and knocking it around. If you ask any of the top coaches, top players, possession is key. I would much rather have possession of the ball (bearing in mind we are winning) than not have it. The moaning, especially noticable in the West stand at times was a joke. Football is not the end to end game it used to be back when grandad was in the ossie end. 

All that happens when cries of 'Forward...Get it up' is it makes the players and the rest of the crowd incredibly anxious. That's not support and it actually creates a divide in the supporters. Fans moaning at each other for getting on the players backs. 

Obviously our players are not the quality of City, Inter, Barca Liverpool etc...but if you look at the way they play, they start out from the back and wait until opportunity arises. 

Cocu and the players obviously work on this. This is the style they want to play and i'm all for it. 

Just because we turn up in numbers doesn't mean we have a great support base

13 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

actually in recent years entertainment has been pretty dire

Is this statement your real opinion? Seriously? The last 5 years have been the best group of 5 seasons in my life time for entertainment and competitive football.

• 2014 - play-off final - best football this century
  • 2015 - top for most of the season, fell out of play-offs due to injuries at end
  • 2016 - top at Boxing Day - play off Semis under Wassall
  • 2017 - how many managers? bound to fail - flirted with play-offs, unable to sustain after crap start
  • 2018 - play off semi
  • 2019 - play off final

You pick any other group of 5-6 seasons in the last 50yrs and it will be nothing like as entertaining and competitive as the group of seasons above.

I went on Saturday. 

TBF the vast majority, whilst having the occasional humorous dig, were there hoping for a win and applauding good play. 

However the two guys next to me were tutting from start to finish and refused to celebrate Lawrence's goal. 

I just think 'why do you bother?'

Lot of projection of personal disappointments onto the team. 

18 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Lot of debates in various thread regarding how good or bad a our supporters are. Complaints about lack of atmosphere, getting on certain players backs, booing, general moaning and such like.

We have the third highest attendances in the League. Higher then at least 6 Premier Clubs. Given the size of our city, we attract probably one of the highest percentage attendances of the people available.

Because it is not cheap, fans are entitled to want to express emotion, good or bad, and in a football ground it is a good place to blow off steam which may be nothing to do with the footy. Years ago in the Normanton stand the bloke behind used to be yelling non stop from kick off to final whistle, often derisory, and this in the Champions era. Turned out he was an Undertaker! A week of sombre dealing with the dead, Saturday it all came out.

Watching Sky its pretty clear many clubs have negative minded supporters so I don't think we're that bad. 

Good post mate. I rarely go these days, it’s easier to be more passive when you’re not forking out a small fortune even if it’s home games only, on top of the time and effort for one or two games a week at times. When I had an ST the journey home after a poor show left me feeling raw and drained on top of the frustration and anger. 
I’ve mentioned previously that I have a brother who’s been ST with Man City for many a year, and a sister who gets to a few. They can testify to the moaning that goes on there......... now think about that for a moment. Man City. Not all of them, like any club, but if you’re moaning about the Prem Champions is there anywhere else to go with your groans?! 

Numbers alone you would struggle to find better in the country in terms of size of club and recent success.

However, I am of the opinion that a proportion of those who go to games are responsible for creating an atmosphere that I often find uncomfortable. The Saturday just gone it was the worst it’s been for a while, for a few reasons.

There was booing as we passed backwards. I saw it more as keeping possession and trying to draw out a side who even at 1-0 down were happy to sit deep.

There were sarcastic cheers whenever Roos caught the ball. I would honestly question the intelligence of every single person doing that. Must be brain dead beyond belief to think it helps, and quite simply it just isn’t very pleasant. On a similar note, I can remember one instance where Roos received a slightly iffy back pass, took a touch and then pinged a 50 yard inch perfect ball to (I think) Bogle to start a counter attack. It was greeted with jeers presumably because he was being pressed. Don’t get it.

Our fans are fantastic. Booing and making their displeasure known does not make them bad fans - its the only way to make their feelings known to the club. And even when we play crap football or do awful stuff off the pitch the fans still turn up to support the team. Play well on the pitch and you will get what you deserve from the fans.

Having good support definitely doesn't mean everyone has to be a happy clapper cheering everything regardless of how they feel - that would be boring. It also doesn't mean sitting in a library like they do in Cockney land at the Emirates. Personally I think we have one of the best fan bases in the country and whilst some teams have a lot more fans I don't believe that means there support is better than ours.

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

No, it isn't. A lot of people on here are more than happy to slag off our fans, but we're no worse than any other team in this league. People love to cite Leeds as this great example of unwavering support, but they dipped below 20k when they were struggling at the bottom of this league. We consistently get a high number of fans in each week, even with rip off ticket prices. 

Our fans get a lot of undeserved stick.

There are almost as many people in Yorkshire as there are in the entirety of Scotland. We only have just over 1 mill in our county - you'd think Leeds would be out of site from an attendance perspective.

11 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Is this statement your real opinion? Seriously? The last 5 years have been the best group of 5 seasons in my life time for entertainment and competitive football.

• 2015 - top for most of the season, fell out of play-offs due to injuries at end
  • 2017 - how many managers? bound to fail - flirted with play-offs, unable to sustain after crap start
  • 2018 - play off semi
  • 2019 - play off final

You pick any other group of 5-6 seasons in the last 50yrs and it will be nothing like as entertaining and competitive as the group of seasons above.

Exactly this. 

Amazes me when some talk like we have been suffering, Bolton, Sunderland, Bury, Portsmouth, these fans will tell you what suffering feels like. 

Sure we haven’t got across the line and gone up, but that doesn’t write off the seasons which we have been right up there and competing at the top end of the table consistently.

2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Our fans are fantastic. Booing and making their displeasure known does not make them bad fans - its the only way to make their feelings known to the club. And even when we play crap football or do awful stuff off the pitch the fans still turn up to support the team. Play well on the pitch and you will get what you deserve from the fans.

Having good support definitely doesn't mean everyone has to be a happy clapper cheering everything regardless of how they feel - that would be boring. It also doesn't mean sitting in a library like they do in Cockney land at the Emirates. Personally I think we have one of the best fan bases in the country and whilst some teams have a lot more fans I don't believe that means there support is better than ours.

There are almost as many people in Yorkshire as there are in the entirety of Scotland. We only have just over 1 mill in our county - you'd think Leeds would be out of site from an attendance perspective.

This. The only small criticism is sometimes wish we would get behind the team when we've got our backs against the wall... but our (mine included) default state is nervousness and we tend to go a bit quiet as a result. Guess it's an entrenched mentality born out of a lot of bad teams over the years.

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

• 2018 - play off semi
  • 2019 - play off final

Clough and MacKay era. Really got excited before each match day, knew fixture list off by heart. Grabbed "the Green Un", read every word and again on Sunday, Queueing for hours for cup match tickets. Now, it's what times kick off? Who we playing? Meh!

I don't equate position necessarily with entertainment. Very few games in recent years have made me think "I really enjoyed that". Mac 1 was good but since then...

Incidentally I may groan or yell in frustration sometimes, particularly as my high seat position gives a better view of the options than the player can see, but I would never boo a player, or cheer his substitution. 

Biggest excitement recently is the prediction league on here!?

25 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

IMO it is getting increasing worse in terms of moaning. Saturday for example, completely getting on the teams back for keeping possession and knocking it around. If you ask any of the top coaches, top players, possession is key. I would much rather have possession of the ball (bearing in mind we are winning) than not have it. The moaning, especially noticable in the West stand at times was a joke. Football is not the end to end game it used to be back when grandad was in the ossie end. 

All that happens when cries of 'Forward...Get it up' is it makes the players and the rest of the crowd incredibly anxious. That's not support and it actually creates a divide in the supporters. Fans moaning at each other for getting on the players backs. 

Obviously our players are not the quality of City, Inter, Barca Liverpool etc...but if you look at the way they play, they start out from the back and wait until opportunity arises. 

Cocu and the players obviously work on this. This is the style they want to play and i'm all for it. 

Just because we turn up in numbers doesn't mean we have a great support base

This.

Watched every game through Sky/Rams TV over here since I arrived in early Jan (bar the play-off final which I came back for) and the moaning (booing prob too strong) is definitely more noticeable at PP of late...

I think part of probleam is that they want everything now and no one is willing to wait for spacail to happen here. We so nearly happened last season. But one man near me having a go at roos or it is another player tell to get f off the field. It does my head in but someone else try getting behind them for a change.

55 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

• 2018 - play off semi
  • 2019 - play off final

Of those seasons cited, 2016,17,18 were not entertaining for me. We might have been up and around the playoffs, but some of the football during that time was absolutely dire. I think 2017 might have been the least memorable season for me as a Derby fan. The McClaren era was good, and Lampard's season was entertaining, but I think you're overvaluing position in the table as opposed to actual entertainment value of the football.

13 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Of those seasons cited, 2016,17,18 were not entertaining for me. We might have been up and around the playoffs, but some of the football during that time was absolutely dire. I think 2017 might have been the least memorable season for me as a Derby fan. The McClaren era was good, and Lampard's season was entertaining, but I think you're overvaluing position in the table as opposed to actual entertainment value of the football.

if you feel this, then you've probably only enjoyed 4 seasons of football in your entire life.

13 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I think you've been jaded by Mac1 though here and you should recognise that.

You got the big, juicy delicious steak with all the trimmings, served up by a Michelin star chef for a starter, and every good steak you've had since has never quite measured up the same. You'd have snapped hands off for these subsequent decent steaks 8/9 years ago and beyond. Whilst at times under Rowett and Pearson particularly, the steak was substituted for offal, broadly speaking, it's been ok.

57 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Clough and MacKay era. Really got excited before each match day, knew fixture list off by heart. Grabbed "the Green Un", read every word and again on Sunday, Queueing for hours for cup match tickets. Now, it's what times kick off? Who we playing? Meh!

Nothing to do with being 45 years older, is it?

Archived