Is our support really that bad?

FindernRam

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree the atmosphere is poor. Musics too loud, beers too dear. Reverse these things, let the fans create the atmosphere by turning the music off at 2.30, read the team sheets out normally and just once instead of pretending to be Micheal buffer, knock a few pubs up within 5 minutes walking distance and that'll do it. Forced atmospheres kill it. Don't get me started on England's brass bloody band.?

Supported The Rams since the mid sixties. While I no longer give the same vocal support to the team that I did when I stood on the Popside, I still have the same, want us to win passion, that I've always had. Even back when we were league champions, I'd voice my displeasure if the team or an individual player wasn't playing as well as I thought they could, but have never booed them once. I don't see a show of displeasure as a negative or not supporting the team but more of frustration with a performance that I know can be better.

Our attendances could be better. Considering how competitive we have been for the last five years, you would expect our attendances to be higher than 27,000.

But I think the pricing strategy is probably depriving the club and the team of regular gates of around 30,000.

As for our support and the atmosphere generated, it is very sterile, but this is very much symptomatic of modern football and to be honest, what we see at Pride Park is nothing out of the ordinary.

Moans, groans, booing, peaks, troughs, tumbleweed moments - you will see similar atmospheres right across England and Europe. 

I think people put too much stock into the idea that atmospheres at football grounds on the continent are rabid and incessant and feel like they have to replicate that. 

When in actuality, if you go week in week out, the atmosphere can be variable just like at any stadium in England.

I spent a year in Naples and going to the San Paolo was fun but not every game had an otherworldly atmosphere. Similarly now I live and work in Porto and go to Estadio do Dragão on a regular basis and even though they have ultras permanently stationed at one end of the ground, the atmosphere can often be flat because they usually win at home without much fuss.

I think people have to be realistic with where we are as a club. Pride Park is never going to be like Signal Iduna Park, not without years of concerted effort and a serious change in mentality.

17 hours ago, AutoWindscreens said:

Nothing to do with being 45 years older, is it?

Its everything to do with being older. It means I have those years of experience to think back on and compare. In a football sense I feel sorry for those who missed out on that era.

21 hours ago, nottingram said:

There was booing as we passed backwards. I saw it more as keeping possession and trying to draw out a side who even at 1-0 down were happy to sit deep.

There were sarcastic cheers whenever Roos caught the ball. I would honestly question the intelligence of every single person doing that. Must be brain dead beyond belief to think it helps, and quite simply it just isn’t very pleasant. On a similar note, I can remember one instance where Roos received a slightly iffy back pass, took a touch and then pinged a 50 yard inch perfect ball to (I think) Bogle to start a counter attack. It was greeted with jeers presumably because he was being pressed. Don’t get it.

I remember that moment and the ball was indeed perfect. Bogle didn't even need to move, was a stunning pass. If that was Scott Carson, it would have received rapturous applause but because Roos has fumbled a couple of high balls, he gets jeered which will only dent his confidence further... it's completely counter-intuitive!

21 hours ago, GenBr said:

Our fans are fantastic. Booing and making their displeasure known does not make them bad fans - its the only way to make their feelings known to the club. And even when we play crap football or do awful stuff off the pitch the fans still turn up to support the team. Play well on the pitch and you will get what you deserve from the fans.

Having good support definitely doesn't mean everyone has to be a happy clapper cheering everything regardless of how they feel - that would be boring. It also doesn't mean sitting in a library like they do in Cockney land at the Emirates. Personally I think we have one of the best fan bases in the country and whilst some teams have a lot more fans I don't believe that means there support is better than ours.

And that's why I completely disagree with this. Voicing displeasure is one thing but how is deliberately taunting our own players conducive to improving performance? I've always wondered how booing falls under the remit of supporting the side, it's intrinsically negative and without productive benefit; a lack of effort should be the only reason booing is ever considered. The 'library' comment is interesting also because PP is often similar that the atmosphere completely lulls and the only rises are the groans or frustrated moans when we try and retain possession... I can't remember a time this season where we were in a unfavorable position and the whole ground joined in a chant/song to try and raise morale

Fans don't have to be happy all the time but the constant scapegoating and attacking our own players is starting to get seriously tiresome. Watching Waghorn discuss mental health this week is another reminder that the players are only human. We need a siege mentality where it's us vs the world and ultimately everyone is behind the squad. At the moment I get the impression that some fans make up their mind quickly that they don't like a player and then refuse to revise that. How many times do players/managers tell us that vocal fan support can be the difference in a game before we take notice?

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

I remember that moment and the ball was indeed perfect. Bogle didn't even need to move, was a stunning pass. If that was Scott Carson, it would have received rapturous applause but because Roos has fumbled a couple of high balls, he gets jeered which will only dent his confidence further... it's completely counter-intuitive!

And that's why I completely disagree with this. Voicing displeasure is one thing but how is deliberately taunting our own players conducive to improving performance? I've always wondered how booing falls under the remit of supporting the side, it's intrinsically negative and without productive benefit; a lack of effort should be the only reason booing is ever considered. The 'library' comment is interesting also because PP is often similar that the atmosphere completely lulls and the only rises are the groans or frustrated moans when we try and retain possession... I can't remember a time this season where we were in a unfavorable position and the whole ground joined in a chant/song to try and raise morale

Fans don't have to be happy all the time but the constant scapegoating and attacking our own players is starting to get seriously tiresome. Watching Waghorn discuss mental health this week is another reminder that the players are only human. We need a siege mentality where it's us vs the world and ultimately everyone is behind the squad. At the moment I get the impression that some fans make up their mind quickly that they don't like a player and then refuse to revise that. How many times do players/managers tell us that vocal fan support can be the difference in a game before we take notice?

Brilliant!

12 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

I think our home atmosphere is a lot better than most other grounds. It's only when you go when you realise how bad 90% of home fans are. 

I get really pissed off by our fans at times, but you’re right.

I’m genuinely struggling to think of consistently good home crowds. Leeds are very good when they’re winning and Forest are good when they play us. I think that’s about it. Off the top of my head, anyway.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I get really pissed off by our fans at times, but you’re right.

I’m genuinely struggling to think of consistently good home crowds. Leeds are very good when they’re winning and Forest are good when they play us. I think that’s about it. Off the top of my head, anyway.

Yeah a consistently good home crowd is a real rarity from what I've observed. Birmingham are okay when they're winning and ditto with Stoke (or they used to be) but traditionally good away support such as sheffield wednesday are shocking when it comes to home support. 

32 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Yeah a consistently good home crowd is a real rarity from what I've observed. Birmingham are okay when they're winning and ditto with Stoke (or they used to be) but traditionally good away support such as sheffield wednesday are shocking when it comes to home support. 

As you say, consistently good home crowds are a rarity. B'ham and Stoke may be OK when they're winning but this means they're not consistent either as they're equally poo when things aren't going so well. Incidentally, whilst B'ham and Stoke are good when away from home, I wouldn't necessarily have singled them out for special mention for their home support.

The thing is, not many of us have sat with another teams home supporters on a regular basis. If we did, I'm sure we'd hear just as much moaning and criticism of players from random supporters (or group of supporters) as you do at PP if you're unfortunate enough to sit near such an individual.

23 hours ago, Ken Tram said:

Definitely my wonder years. 

To be honest, getting promoted was quite a nice feeling ... and if only we'd had a star midfielder to go with Shilton, Wright and Saunders, then we might have finished top-4.

@PhilGeeWasMyIdol Do you remember the leaflet showing of those three? 

I don't remember the leaflet. Trevor Hebbard though was a good midfielder in that side, but not close enough in ability to Shilton and co. Probably worth £20m today though. Very underated. Unlike Nick Pickering and Steve Cross, who imo were just not up to it.

All football fans whinge, in the golden years "McGovern was a liability, Gemmill always tried run through a ruck of players instead of the easy route Durban had two left feet. O' Hare was too slow, Green not tall enough." All opinions I heard back then but all Legends in my eyes. just human nature of the football fan i'm afraid.

On 10/10/2019 at 15:47, Leeds Ram said:

I wouldn't say we are shocking for home support, two team City and as you know prices that make men weep, it certainly could and should be better but it's 20 years since PL football, 2 stints in League One and 1 trophy since before WW2. 

Football fans are inherently fickle, they'll turn out in droves if the team are flying or in a final but often the same folks make half dozen home games.

39 minutes ago, walkleyowl said:

I wouldn't say we are shocking for home support, two team City and as you know prices that make men weep, it certainly could and should be better but it's 20 years since PL football, 2 stints in League One and 1 trophy since before WW2. 

Football fans are inherently fickle, they'll turn out in droves if the team are flying or in a final but often the same folks make half dozen home games.

I don't think the OP was about numbers mate. Its more to do with home atmospheres being a bit toxic when its not going well. You lot always travel well but your home support can be fairly quiet at times.

8 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I don't think the OP was about numbers mate. Its more to do with home atmospheres being a bit toxic when its not going well. You lot always travel well but your home support can be fairly quiet at times.

Ah, hard to pick up that, he's right though, we do moan very very quickly if it's poo. Big old stadium half full doesn't help and that chuffing band, killers them lot. 

PA music and a forced atmospehere only became a thing because the atmosphere is not being generated by the fans as much as it used to be. 

Probably the only really good thing to help the atmosphere has been the drummer bloke - not that anyone notices. Whenever songs are sung there appear to be a race to get to the end of the song and clap with increasing speed and he helps in some way to slow it down a wee bit. The south-east corner before the relocation was particularly bad at this.

All-seater stadia has had the biggest negative impact on atmosphere in my opinion but a move to rail seats is unlikely to change this as you are still allocated a spot rather than being able to congregate wherever you like. The stadium itself has some effect but an all-seated BBG was frequently quiet in its final days.

The second biggest negative impact on atmosphere is that people demand to be entertained as they seem to think they have something better to do with their Saturdays. I really doubt they do. I don't and thats why I've been going for over 35 years. 

Archived