Is our support really that bad?

FindernRam

9 hours ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

1968-69 Division 2 Champions, Beating Everton and Chelsea from Div 1 in the League Cup, Only to lose to Swindon in the Semis.

1969-70 Finished 4th in Division 1, Being kicked out of Europe for Money irregularities.

1970-71 Finished 9th in Division 1, Watney cup final winners beating Man Untd 4-1.

1971-72 Division 1 Champions with out kicking a ball on the night it counted....lol

1972-73 Finished 7th, Beating Benfica 3-0 on Agg, Then losing to Juventus because of the cheating officials.

1973-74 Finished 3rd in Division 1.

1974-75 Division 1 Champions, FA Cup Semi finalists.

Not forgetting we were Texaco cup winners and the Quiz Ball Champions.

Beat that.

Slight correction, 74/75 we never made the Semi Final, lost to Leeds in the 5th Round, season after, 75/76 was the Semi.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/10/2019 at 21:44, angieram said:

I was at Peterborough this afternoon in with the home fans. EFL's top scorers and the fans were really on their backs at times.

I now conclude we aren't so bad after all! 

Back on the fence Angie. Can't find words to express my disappointment ?

In 71-72 we won the league AND the Central league which meant we had the finest first and reserve team in the country.

We had a manager who was constantly on the telly.

An assistant manager with an uncanny ability to spot latent talent. (spot the anagram!)

The finest set of supporters in the world.

Forget swinging London, the BBG was where it's at!

In 2019 we still have a great set of supporters. Keep the faith.

Our support is very good & is often quoted by neutral fans when talking about our club. 

Yes, the atmosphere at PP can be nervy but that's more a consequence of being so close to going up. If we'd finished bottom 6 last year, the place would seem very different. When we're chasing games or playing good stuff, the atmosphere is very good indeed.

On the flip side, our songs lack originality & we're missing that signature club song. Away support can be excellent but if we're not doing well, numbers can be variable outside of a 50 mile radius of Derby.

p.s. can't believe anyone believes 2013-18 have been the most competitive/most exciting 5 years of our post war history. 1985-90, 1995-2000 and of course any 5 year period from 1967 to 1976 were clearly superior

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from my annual trip to Arsenal, in the home crowd against Palace, and I can safely say Derby fans are amateurs at negativity.

The boo-ing of Xhaka when he was substituted and his reaction to this, the singing for Ozil who wasn't even on the bench, and the continual moaning about all aspects of play made it a special afternoon.

Every time I go to the Emirates it makes me appreciate what we have at Derby. We ain't that bad!

On 09/10/2019 at 14:25, FindernRam said:

Lot of debates in various thread regarding how good or bad a our supporters are. Complaints about lack of atmosphere, getting on certain players backs, booing, general moaning and such like.

We have the third highest attendances in the League. Higher then at least 6 Premier Clubs. Given the size of our city, we attract probably one of the highest percentage attendances of the people available.

These people do not show up week after week , season after season, to perform some masochistic self flagellation (not in West stand at least missus!). They go to be entertained and support the team, actually in recent years entertainment has been pretty dire, so it has to be to support.

Because it is not cheap, fans are entitled to want to express emotion, good or bad, and in a football ground it is a good place to blow off steam which may be nothing to do with the footy. Years ago in the Normanton stand the bloke behind used to be yelling non stop from kick off to final whistle, often derisory, and this in the Champions era. Turned out he was an Undertaker! A week of sombre dealing with the dead, Saturday it all came out.

Watching Sky its pretty clear many clubs have negative minded supporters so I don't think we're that bad. 

As good or bad as other clubs. But sarcastically applauding our keeper when he makes a catch is embarrassing. No noise midweek matches too. Atmosphere is pretty flat at moment. FootBall is poor though 

1 hour ago, Davide said:

As good or bad as other clubs. But sarcastically applauding our keeper when he makes a catch is embarrassing. No noise midweek matches too. Atmosphere is pretty flat at moment. FootBall is poor though 

Literally, only time 72% of our fans make any noise is when they're taking the mick out of Roos, bananas.

10 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I'll accept it may have been different on Saturday (I wasn't there) but am I alone in thinking that the supposed sarcastic applause for Roos is being over-exaggerated?  It certainly appeared to be just a few halfhearted and isolated hot spots against Wigan last week.

I was in the main stand - I was with friends including someone who works for Hull. The friend next to me, who was over from the UAE and not that familiar with all of Derby's current "issues", turned to me and said "That sounded like they were mocking by applauding the catch made by the goalie".

It was loud enough.

I think Derby fans are just desperate for some positive signs of progress. It's a frustrating time paying money to watch during a transitional phase. 

We have a back five of a goalkeeper who is roundly criticised, two full backs out of form, a nervous loanee and a gnarled old pro who's unsuited to the modern game. 

Scarcely a platform for free flowing, risk-taking football. 

We can scream and shout in frustration or we can appreciate it's tough for the team right now and do our bit to help. 

I'll be there on Saturday cheering the good bits and biting my lip in the not so good bits. 

Archived