Is our support really that bad?

FindernRam

17 hours ago, walkleyowl said:

I wouldn't say we are shocking for home support, two team City and as you know prices that make men weep, it certainly could and should be better but it's 20 years since PL football, 2 stints in League One and 1 trophy since before WW2. 

Football fans are inherently fickle, they'll turn out in droves if the team are flying or in a final but often the same folks make half dozen home games.

As was said by @uttoxram75 it is less to do with numbers than the actual atmosphere of the ground. I certainly wouldn't peg either stoke or birmingham as having good support at home if it was just the numbers ? 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think on the whole our support is  quite good. The issue is we've been so close so many times it's a  real roller coaster of a ride.

Derby have had its fair share of off field activities which haven't helped.

Maybe a boring mid table finish is what it needs, but that's not what we want.

I keep telling my son, it will come, but I think he's fed up of hearing that from me.

Fingers crossed its not too far away (please).

Well I love our fans .. and being a narcissist half fan this suits me 

wish our songs were a bit better but you can’t have everything. We turn up every week, (or once a fortnight if you are an east stand hard liner half fan like me ) 

we sulk, we bitch, we cheer, we hug, we dream and we moan. We clap ( excellent clapping in the east stand) OMG ! And sometimes ...... some people actually boo. 

But when a thousand of our own find their way to some god forsaken southern outpost on a wet Tuesday night after work suffering stodgy pies, grim commercial beer, surely officers of the law,  and yet still find the will to breath Derby County loud and pure for 90 minutes with all their hearts - as they really do - then good on us

WE ARE Derby 

Our fans are just fine, like any other set the majority are great a minority arent.

Leeds and Forest seem to think theirs are great but its not long ago Forest were struggling to get 20k and Leeds shut part of theirs because they couldn't get anywhere near filling it.

27 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Our fans are just fine, like any other set the majority are great a minority arent.

Leeds and Forest seem to think theirs are great but its not long ago Forest were struggling to get 20k and Leeds shut part of theirs because they couldn't get anywhere near filling it.

Just a thought... way off topic, so feel free to ignore... but do F**est fans get asked to sit in different seats each game, to ensure the faded pink remains even throughout the stadium?  

Hmmm...

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

This is really making me chuckle at the moment. If Forest finish the season with a higher average attendance than us, they are going to bang on about it non stop, despite the fact ours has been higher for years.

6 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

This is really making me chuckle at the moment. If Forest finish the season with a higher average attendance than us, they are going to bang on about it non stop, despite the fact ours has been higher for years.

Shh I think they actually managed it last season!

18 minutes ago, WHAT DO I GET said:

Shh I think they actually managed it last season!

A lot to do with season tickets for a tenner for kids. But no issues with that, todays kids for a tenner are tomorrows adults paying 500 quid. Most sensible marketing that forest have done for years. 

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

A lot to do with season tickets for a tenner for kids. But no issues with that, todays kids for a tenner are tomorrows adults paying 500 quid. Most sensible marketing that forest have done for years. 

Yes and the first time since 2003/2004

On 09/10/2019 at 14:44, Mostyn6 said:

Is this statement your real opinion? Seriously? The last 5 years have been the best group of 5 seasons in my life time for entertainment and competitive football.

• 2014 - play-off final - best football this century
  • 2015 - top for most of the season, fell out of play-offs due to injuries at end
  • 2016 - top at Boxing Day - play off Semis under Wassall
  • 2017 - how many managers? bound to fail - flirted with play-offs, unable to sustain after crap start
  • 2018 - play off semi
  • 2019 - play off final

You pick any other group of 5-6 seasons in the last 50yrs and it will be nothing like as entertaining and competitive as the group of seasons above.

sheltered life?

Is this statement your real opinion? Seriously? The last 5 years have been the best group of 5 seasons in my life time for entertainment and competitive football.

• 2015 - top for most of the season, fell out of play-offs due to injuries at end
  • 2017 - how many managers? bound to fail - flirted with play-offs, unable to sustain after crap start
  • 2018 - play off semi
  • 2019 - play off final

You pick any other group of 5-6 seasons in the last 50yrs and it will be nothing like as entertaining and competitive as the group of seasons above.

I think the statement that proceeded this comment is a microcosm of the issue.  A certain type of supporter will only consider it a successful season if we've achieved promotion.  Anything less than that and the whole season is null and void as an enjoyable experience.

Far arguments sake, 2017 was a bit of a cluster***k all round, and 2018 was agonising once we'd forgotten how to outhouse results.  But over all we've seen some great football, some not so great football, some bang average football, and some awful football.  But maintaining top half/play off finishes amongst all the upheaval is pretty good going.  And would be the envy of a lot of clubs in our division.

• 2018 - play off semi
  • 2019 - play off final

1968-69 Division 2 Champions, Beating Everton and Chelsea from Div 1 in the League Cup, Only to lose to Swindon in the Semis.

1969-70 Finished 4th in Division 1, Being kicked out of Europe for Money irregularities.

1970-71 Finished 9th in Division 1, Watney cup final winners beating Man Untd 4-1.

1971-72 Division 1 Champions with out kicking a ball on the night it counted....lol

1972-73 Finished 7th, Beating Benfica 3-0 on Agg, Then losing to Juventus because of the cheating officials.

1973-74 Finished 3rd in Division 1.

1974-75 Division 1 Champions, FA Cup Semi finalists.

Not forgetting we were Texaco cup winners and the Quiz Ball Champions.

Beat that.

6 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

1975-76 Charity Shield Winners beat Wet Spam 2-0 at Wembley , European Cup beat Real Madrid 4-1 at home going through on away goals rule in the 2nd leg when RM where awarded a very generous penalty in injury time which led us  to lose in Extra Time .

Finished 4th & FA Cup semi finalists too. (Never done as well in league or cup since !!) Might have won the double but for Charlie’s injury 

8 hours ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

1968-69 Division 2 Champions, Beating Everton and Chelsea from Div 1 in the League Cup, Only to lose to Swindon in the Semis.

1969-70 Finished 4th in Division 1, Being kicked out of Europe for Money irregularities.

1970-71 Finished 9th in Division 1, Watney cup final winners beating Man Untd 4-1.

1971-72 Division 1 Champions with out kicking a ball on the night it counted....lol

1972-73 Finished 7th, Beating Benfica 3-0 on Agg, Then losing to Juventus because of the cheating officials.

1973-74 Finished 3rd in Division 1.

1974-75 Division 1 Champions, FA Cup Semi finalists.

Not forgetting we were Texaco cup winners and the Quiz Ball Champions.

Beat that.

7 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

1975-76 Charity Shield Winners beat Wet Spam 2-0 at Wembley , European Cup beat Real Madrid 4-1 at home going through on away goals rule in the 2nd leg when RM where awarded a very generous penalty in injury time which led us  to lose in Extra Time .

53 minutes ago, Roboram said:

Finished 4th & FA Cup semi finalists too. (Never done as well in league or cup since !!) Might have won the double but for Charlie’s injury 

All in blue and white, not black. 

COYR ?

Archived