Is our support really that bad?

FindernRam

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

I think you've been jaded by Mac1 though here and you should recognise that.

You got the big, juicy delicious steak with all the trimmings, served up by a Michelin star chef for a starter, and every good steak you've had since has never quite measured up the same. You'd have snapped hands off for these subsequent decent steaks 8/9 years ago and beyond. Whilst at times under Rowett and Pearson particularly, the steak was substituted for offal, broadly speaking, it's been ok.

Potentially. I couldn't derive any pleasure from Rowettball, or Clement's boring style of play either. I don't expect every season to match Mac 1's for position finish, but despite us finishing higher in 2016 for example, I will always look at last season under Lampard much more fondly than I would look at 2016. Style of play is a big factor for me.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

twrong place

30 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Of those seasons cited, 2016,17,18 were not entertaining for me. We might have been up and around the playoffs, but some of the football during that time was absolutely dire. I think 2017 might have been the least memorable season for me as a Derby fan. The McClaren era was good, and Lampard's season was entertaining, but I think you're overvaluing position in the table as opposed to actual entertainment value of the football.

There are supporters and theres fans to me two completely different set of rules to define everybody who attends Derbys games

A supporter supports Derby and does so through thick and thin.Often described on here as happy clappers as a form of insult.

B Fans who go to matches to see their favorite players perform.These are typified in the recent incident.There was so called supporters saying they had finished watching Derby laughable really I am not condoning their action some on here were way over the mark saying that Lawrence and Bennett should be sacked etc yet Keogh had very little criticism yet if anything he should have not allowed it to happen being the captain and senior player.As a supporter whilst being disgusted at what happened I was confident that the Club and the Courts would deal with it correctly.I believe our average home attendance is around 26000 yet on Saturday we had over 27000 to me that says it all

I think a lot of people's perception of the atmosphere is based on how close you sit next to a Waldorf and Statler.  With grumpy old men the relentless negativity can be very frustrating and I can sympathise as I've suffered it in all parts of the ground over the years.

The for the fans as a whole I'm not so sure. 

Firstly I genuinely cheered or clapped the Roos catch and 50 yard pin point pass.  Genuine because I thought he'd made a good decision and or showed some skill.  Did I augment and amplify sarcastic fans?

Secondly I was right in line with Lawrence when he scored.  For me as others have said Lawrence was contrite and I clapped the goal and his name being announced.  The bloke three rows immediately behind me booed loudly at the name announcement.  Which of us was wrong?  I'd venture neither.

Thirdly the performance on Saturday was leggy and very passive in the run up to the booing around backwards and sideways passing.  It's very difficult to engage and get behind the team when you have barely touched the ball in fifteen minutes.  So we get the chance to go vocal, and there's little movement up front or people offering for the ball.  In that scenario I'm not surprised people vented.  And although I didn't boo, I think there is an argument that the team need to know they need to pick things up.

To be honest, my experience of home and away games is we're not really different to most fan bases, plenty of moaning at away grounds when we're on top or they stuff things up. I think moaning is just generally easier for people to do.

I think we're pretty decent all told, plentiful at home and more vociferous away.

Hiya all, I've been a reader for a few months so thought I'd join in.

My 1st game was in 1966 and a ST holder since mid 70s when they cost circa £20ish, I sit in the North stand mainly for easy access and exit, There are a plethera of different people who support DCFC, With differing views and differing life styles, On how we play or what we perceive our style of play should be.

Looking in our local library I couldn't find a book outlining every Derby supporter should accept without reservation on how they play, On how players act, On how Managers select the team, On how the owner should or shouldn't spend his hard earned.

Watching football(soccer to some)is a sanitised excersize in the modern game, When I was a youth in the 70s and 80s at the BBG anything verbal was said, Sung or spewed out to the players if they didn't ooze blood for DCFC, Being an ex Popsider(Columbo End and Vulcan Street)Ossie Ender and finally C stand paddock I was party to most that went off.

I do not subscribe to a view that we should go to PP and sit quietly only applaud when something good has happened and not ridicule when you concider there's something you don't like on the field of play.

We all want to be entertained(I certainly do)but this is not the Pictures where you pretty much know what you're going to get, But on how a game should be played too you, Can be a million miles from the person sitting next to you, A guy who sits behind me and 6-7 seats away shouts and moans and he's entitled to, There's no foul language just a shedload of frustration, Is he right, Yes he is, As it's his choice.

I would eat, Sleep, Breath Derby County in days gone bye, When we lost it would take days before I'd return to normality as there would be a game a few days away, When we won It was a feeling hard to describe, Euphoria would be apt as my team couldn't go wrong.

Football today is a far cry from Hot Boveril, Rubbish pies, A clump from the local OB and taking a pi$$ at the back of the stand.

Derby supporters are know better or worse than any other supporter in the English game today, In my case I go out of habbit not loyalty.

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Lot of debates in various thread regarding how good or bad a our supporters are. Complaints about lack of atmosphere, getting on certain players backs, booing, general moaning and such like.

We have the third highest attendances in the League. Higher then at least 6 Premier Clubs. Given the size of our city, we attract probably one of the highest percentage attendances of the people available.

These people do not show up week after week , season after season, to perform some masochistic self flagellation (not in West stand at least missus!). They go to be entertained and support the team, actually in recent years entertainment has been pretty dire, so it has to be to support.

Because it is not cheap, fans are entitled to want to express emotion, good or bad, and in a football ground it is a good place to blow off steam which may be nothing to do with the footy. Years ago in the Normanton stand the bloke behind used to be yelling non stop from kick off to final whistle, often derisory, and this in the Champions era. Turned out he was an Undertaker! A week of sombre dealing with the dead, Saturday it all came out.

Watching Sky its pretty clear many clubs have negative minded supporters so I don't think we're that bad. 

"They" do say we are County not City (Ignore what Bradders thinks!), so you may have to adjust the numbers!

That little bit of pedantry aside, I wholeheartedly agree with what you say.  We are no worse... and no better... than most.

4 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Lot of debates in various thread regarding how good or bad a our supporters are. Complaints about lack of atmosphere, getting on certain players backs, booing, general moaning and such like.

We have the third highest attendances in the League. Higher then at least 6 Premier Clubs. Given the size of our city, we attract probably one of the highest percentage attendances of the people available.

These people do not show up week after week , season after season, to perform some masochistic self flagellation (not in West stand at least missus!). They go to be entertained and support the team, actually in recent years entertainment has been pretty dire, so it has to be to support.

Because it is not cheap, fans are entitled to want to express emotion, good or bad, and in a football ground it is a good place to blow off steam which may be nothing to do with the footy. Years ago in the Normanton stand the bloke behind used to be yelling non stop from kick off to final whistle, often derisory, and this in the Champions era. Turned out he was an Undertaker! A week of sombre dealing with the dead, Saturday it all came out.

Watching Sky its pretty clear many clubs have negative minded supporters so I don't think we're that bad. 

One, I firmly believe that our supporter are, on the whole, no better or worse than pretty much every other club the country.

Two, with regard to our attendances being higher than some premier clubs, don't forget, at least four have grounds with capacities below 27,500 (Norwich, Crystal Palace, Burnley and Bournemouth).

Having said that, I often wonder how many other clubs have such a high proportion of season ticket holder (no doubt someone can provide this information)

I’ve always been rather proud of our position as fans of Derby County. We haven’t always had it easy but despite this attendances and support hasn’t dwindled anywhere near the amounts of other clubs. Even ‘famously’ well supported clubs (ahem Newcastle) cannot claim the loyalty that we have had (Mike Ashley   as owner possibly would drive us over the edge though)  even during very tough times. 

However the world has changed and people’s desire for needing immediate success has also affected our club. It’s not a Derby County problem it’s a worldwide problem that has rubbed off on us as well. Although I do really get annoyed with the throwaway ‘he’s useless’ comments aimed at our players which are normally delivered by a slightly overweight and unhealthy looking 40 something fan who is spitting his words through a pack of crisps (please don’t be offended if you think I’ve described you, ‘slightly overweight’ is actually my target weight). 

Simply put we aren’t as good as we were but we aren’t as bad as most of the rest therefore I think that’s pretty decent. COYR!

6 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Is this statement your real opinion? Seriously? The last 5 years have been the best group of 5 seasons in my life time for entertainment and competitive football.

• 2014 - play-off final - best football this century
  • 2015 - top for most of the season, fell out of play-offs due to injuries at end
  • 2016 - top at Boxing Day - play off Semis under Wassall
  • 2017 - how many managers? bound to fail - flirted with play-offs, unable to sustain after crap start
  • 2018 - play off semi
  • 2019 - play off final

You pick any other group of 5-6 seasons in the last 50yrs and it will be nothing like as entertaining and competitive as the group of seasons above.

It's individual opinions. I remember successive promotions under Cox. Then Shilton, Wright and Saunders (and Tin Man) and then the Bald Eagle and my personal best Derby side at that time. Even horrible Billy got us up. 

They were more exciting times than the last 5 years as far as I'm concerned.

That said McLarens best side and last season were good, very good at times. So I don't think you can say last 5 years were bad, but over say the last 30 odd years there has been at least 10 years better.

For me excitement and entertainment is being a top side and actually getting promotion or doing well in the PL, not just missing out every season.

In fact my mates Derby whatsapp is now called 2nd or 7th, the feeling of finishing in the playoffs again has worn us all out.

Going back on topic I am fully behind the Rams, but I do feel a bit jaded, which was a word mentioned in an earlier post. 

I think just missing out for more or less the last 5 seasons has been tough on the fans. The flip side to this is that we've won more than we've lost and it has been entertaining at times, and we have seen some great football.

Maybe the conclusion is getting out of the Championship is a bit of a bgger.

5 minutes ago, PhilGeeWasMyIdol said:

It's individual opinions. I remember successive promotions under Cox. Then Shilton, Wright and Saunders (and Tin Man) and then the Bald Eagle and my personal best Derby side at that time. Even horrible Billy got us up. 

They were more exciting times than the last 5 years as far as I'm concerned.

That said McLarens best side and last season were good, very good at times. So I don't think you can say last 5 years were bad, but over say the last 30 odd years there has been at least 10 years better.

For me excitement and entertainment is being a top side and actually getting promotion or doing well in the PL, not just missing out every season.

In fact my mates Derby whatsapp is now called 2nd or 7th, the feeling of finishing in the playoffs again has worn us all out.

Definitely my wonder years. 

To be honest, getting promoted was quite a nice feeling ... and if only we'd had a star midfielder to go with Shilton, Wright and Saunders, then we might have finished top-4.

@PhilGeeWasMyIdol Do you remember the leaflet showing of those three? 

4 hours ago, I Bought the Tee Shirt said:

When we lost it would take days before I'd return to normality

Miserable! 

When we won It was a feeling hard to describe, Euphoria

I hope others still feel this - maybe we just get old!?

in the 70s and 80s at the BBG anything verbal was said, Sung or spewed out to the players if they didn't ooze blood for DCFC

And the BBG was famous for how close the fans were to the pitch. And the crowd demanded physicality.

If the population of Derby was about 220,000 in the 70s - with attendances of up to 40,000?

And if it's 250,000 and 30,000 now. 

Just dividing one by the other gives us a 70s crowd size that's equivalent to 18% (1:5) of the city's population, falling to 12% (1:8) these days.

We're lucky to still have a ratio of 1:8. I think someone digested that it might be the highest ratio of any club. 

If it's true that the euphoria mentioned above was greater in the past, perhaps that's also because a greater ratio of friends and colleagues were tied to the fortunes of the club - and so fan's emotions had more impact upon their daily lives throughout the week. Good old @David - helping us fans to get a greater sense of this through the forum.

Archived