15 points from next 5?

Rammy03

I think we can now say the tough start that we were handed is now over and the next few games are sightly more winnable. We snatched a good point at Leeds and secured our first win at home against Birmingham. What are our chances of taking all 15 from the next 5, starting tomorrow against Barnsley? I would be happy with 10 but anything less than that would surely be a disappointment.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I think we can now say the tough start that we were handed is now over and the next few games are sightly more winnable. We snatched a good point at Leeds and secured our first win at home against Birmingham. What are our chances of taking all 15 from the next 5, starting tomorrow against Barnsley? I would be happy with 10 but anything less than that would surely be a disappointment.

basically we are not good enough, we've lost 3 players (not the drinkers) who are prem quality from last year without adequate replacements.  It doesn't mean we can't win the next 5 games but it seems to me to be unfair to expect it.  Part of me hopes for a year where we are not still playing with a remote hope for  play offs and we can start getting a good start on next season.  I am trying to dial down expectations 7 to 9 points would be ok

3 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

We did indeed win last Saturday and it was a great game to watch. That said, it was anything but “secure”; it was a win based on character and a spirit engendered from the adversity of “Boosey Tuesday”. It shouldn’t though hoodwink us into believing that the team has suddenly found a winning formula. There are established issues with our pattern of play. Whoscored.com data on “Action Areas” show that of all teams in the Championship, Derby spend the least amount of game time in the opposition’s defensive third. That’s just an indicator I know and not necessarily a worrying statistic, but I think it reflects a lack of control of games that we have played hitherto. The inclusion of Martin will I believe serve to improve that statistic and we will score more goals as a result, but we still have an unclear way of playing and need more guile and stealth in midfield. So, to answer the question...15 points from the next 5 games? I very much doubt that we’ll get more than 7 points. I’m not taking anything for granted and think we’ll face a very tough battle at Barnsley tomorrow. I’m more confident about Luton at home, but can’t see more than a point from Charlton...

The above assumes the squad & team remains as is over those games. There is a rumour of the Icelandic midfielder coming in as a free agent who I would welcome but assuming that doesn’t happen, I can’t see our fortunes changing radically for now. I would like to see Marriott up front with Martin and us revert to a midfield diamond; that would I believe improve things but otherwise as they stand I think we will continue to see 2 paces forward followed by 2 paces back as Phillip strives to find the elusive transitional formula with a squad that is of largely average quality. I hope I’m wrong and will be the first to blink if I am. 

14 minutes ago, Spanish said:

basically we are not good enough, we've lost 3 players (not the drinkers) who are prem quality from last year without adequate replacements.  It doesn't mean we can't win the next 5 games but it seems to me to be unfair to expect it.  Part of me hopes for a year where we are not still playing with a remote hope for  play offs and we can start getting a good start on next season.  I am trying to dial down expectations 7 to 9 points would be ok

It's as if you've snuck into my head and almost written exactly what I would write. I say almost because I think our club should always be hoping / aiming for at least the play -offs.  

18 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

We did indeed win last Saturday and it was a great game to watch. That said, it was anything but “secure”; it was a win based on character and a spirit engendered from the adversity of “Boosey Tuesday”. It shouldn’t though hoodwink us into believing that the team has suddenly found a winning formula. There are established issues with our pattern of play. Whoscored.com data on “Action Areas” show that of all teams in the Championship, Derby spend the least amount of game time in the opposition’s defensive third. That’s just an indicator I know and not necessarily a worrying statistic, but I think it reflects a lack of control of games that we have played hitherto. The inclusion of Martin will I believe serve to improve that statistic and we will score more goals as a result, but we still have an unclear way of playing and need more guile and stealth in midfield. So, to answer the question...15 points from the next 5 games? I very much doubt that we’ll get more than 7 points. I’m not taking anything for granted and think we’ll face a very tough battle at Barnsley tomorrow. I’m more confident about Luton at home, but can’t see more than a point from Charlton...

The above assumes the squad & team remains as is over those games. There is a rumour of the Icelandic midfielder coming in as a free agent who I would welcome but assuming that doesn’t happen, I can’t see our fortunes changing radically for now. I would like to see Marriott up front with Martin and us revert to a midfield diamond; that would I believe improve things but otherwise as they stand I think we will continue to see 2 paces forward followed by 2 paces back as Phillip strives to find the elusive transitional formula with a squad that is of largely average quality. I hope I’m wrong and will be the first to blink if I am. 

We have a midfield of bottlers and we need a couple of battlers........?

Is Shinnie worth a go? can't think of anyone else that we haven't already tried - but for an away match where you expect to be under the cos a bit more i'd like us to try moving Bielik forwards into the midfield and playing Clare and Davies as the CBs.

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

with a squad that is of largely average quality.

I don't understand this idea everybody seems to have that our squad is average.

Bogle is easily a top end championship player already, possibly more.
Davies is a born leader. FA Cup finalist. Championship promotion winner. A few inclusions in team of the year.
Bielik. A full international whilst still very young. Huge potential.
Malone. Extremely well established championship player with premier league experience.
Huddlestone. Has been a star at champions league level. Obviously older now but still has the knowhow.
Holmes. Potential to be a top, top player.
Paterson. Well established championship player.
Waghorn. Great experience. Works hard. Scored goals at a few levels.
Martin. On form, one of the best ever championship strikers. No doubt about it.
Marriott. Natural goalscorer. Can score goals at any level. i.e Old Trafford, Wembley, Play off semi etc.

A few steady players to compliment them with the likes of Dowell, Forsyth, Wisdom, Clarke, Shinnie, Lowe, Jozefzoon.

Bright young players waiting in the wings.

If this squad clicks they have every chance. On paper they still should be up there.

8 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

I don't understand this idea everybody seems to have that our squad is average.

Bogle is easily a top end championship player already, possibly more.
Davies is a born leader. FA Cup finalist. Championship promotion winner. A few inclusions in team of the year.
Bielik. A full international whilst still very young. Huge potential.
Malone. Extremely well established championship player with premier league experience.
Huddlestone. Has been a star at champions league level. Obviously older now but still has the knowhow.
Holmes. Potential to be a top, top player.
Paterson. Well established championship player.
Waghorn. Great experience. Works hard. Scored goals at a few levels.
Martin. On form, one of the best ever championship strikers. No doubt about it.
Marriott. Natural goalscorer. Can score goals at any level. i.e Old Trafford, Wembley, Play off semi etc.

A few steady players to compliment them with the likes of Dowell, Forsyth, Wisdom, Clarke, Shinnie, Lowe, Jozefzoon.

Bright young players waiting in the wings.

If this squad clicks they have every chance. On paper they still should be up there.

Whole heartedly agree.

Haven't commented on the whole sorry affair of last week, and I am of the belief it could end up (bizarrely) being a turning point in our season.

As you point out above, we have the core of a damn good squad, one that many of our rivals would cherry pick given the chance.

Along with the best crop of youngsters for a long time, and the understanding that Cocu's remit is to integrate the best youngsters into the first team, we are in a pretty good place.

I also think it might just start to click in the next few games.

Here's hoping anyway!

Can’t see us getting 15 points but I’d be very happy with anything over 9. Away games are always tough in this league and I’d rarely go in to any expecting us to win, so I always feel a victory on the road is a bonus rather than a given.

I think realistically we might take 8 points. I fully expect us to win both home games, then I’d predict 2 draws and a loss from the 3 away games. We’ll have to see how it goes, but after 1 win from our last 8 I’m not going to get ahead of myself too soon.

I would be happy with steady improvement and effort for now.

I'm rather disillusioned with a lot of things at the moment, and even just a couple of years ago if anyone had said to me that I would stop going to Derby's away games, let alone giving up my season ticket and then packing up going to home games, I would have denied that was possible, given my history. But that's where I am now, hoping that something occurs to rekindle my enthusiasm.

The next two are winnable, but I think we may struggle against the team that just beat Leeds (Charlton). Then Wigan and Hull are again beatable and no idea what to expect from Boro this season. I'd be happy with 12 points, but expect we will be somewhere closer to 9. We definitely need to use these games to pick up some points, because we are back to a very difficult run afterwards - Forest, Preston, Fulham, QPR, Blackburn, Shef Wed.

I have a whole Luton supporting crew of 5 ( family natives from that area ) coming up for Saturday. Add in that Mrs Jono will be attending her fist football match. 

Nephew who is ST holder down there says they can play but “finks” they are prone to wobbles - heads go down all too quickly. “Get goals early on and you won’t see us bouncing back” .. so he tells me. 

can’t predict the next 5 but I think the next 2 are winnable and 4 points is a minimum - we have the skill and spirit to do it. 

We need to start clocking up wins, regardless of where they come from. I think 5 wins in 5 games would put us in or just on the cusp of the play-offs. I doubt it will be that easy, especially as we love a draw, but I do expect us to get at least three wins on the board and that could see us inside the top 10 going into November. 

Archived