Best and Worst Ram loan signings

SK47

Just a bit of fun to get the old cognitive muscles going. 

Can you name your best and worst players Derby have loaned over the years. 

Best: Thorne - on his day the season we loaned him, he was the best midfielder in the league imo. 

Worst: Stern John - to this day I still have no idea why we ended up with him ? anyone remember the "next Luis Figo" Candido Costa? ?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh for me, the worst has to be Danny Graham. He couldn’t have scored if the opposition had played without a keeper. Funny because a few years later he looked like a world beater... Mind you that didn’t last...

The best has to be Leon Osman because single handedly he kept us up that year...

My first post on the forum! Woo ? 

Best: Mount. Thorne was brilliant, but mounts gonna be one of the country’s best. And we had him play for us just as he became that. Unreal really, and well look back with wonder imo.

Worst: Leon best. Name couldn’t be more ironic, couldn’t finish to save his life. Didn’t think we’d ever see worse, but dowells giving him a run for his money 

I think Leon Best has to be the worst because of the outrageous wages we were footing for him. At least with Danny Graham and Stern John they were extremely cheap from memory and Graham was v.young as a striker. 

Best loan is really difficult obviously Osman and Mount have to be up there. I really liked Kuqi, Dickov and Svensson for honourable mentions as well. David Jones in the 06-07 season is also almost always forgotten, he's up there for that free kick against sheff wednesday alone for me. 

Best

I would go for Tomori because of his sheer growth as a player over his spell here.

Tomori came here largely unheralded and left as one of our best players, winning the Player of the Year award in the process, and now he is a starter at Chelsea.

Honorable mention for Alberto Bueno. He made a team with Robbie Savage in it watchable.

Worst

There have probably been worse players, but in terms of the buzz and what we expected upon arrival through to eventual impact, Kazmierczak under Jewell was quite the let down.

Stern John, Danny Graham, Leon Best were all poor. But did we really expect anything else?

Osman was the best in my opinion. Stepped straight up and took on the responsibility of dragging the team towards safety.

I feel like I ought to stick up for Graham. Yes, he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo in his spell with us, but he worked hard for the team, had good movement and won his aerial duals. It was no surprise to me when he started banging goals in a few seasons later.

Nick Chadwick always sticks out as a poor signing to me. It was immediately obvious he was miles away from ever being championship quality. I wouldn't mind, but we had lads from our own academy waiting for a chance, whilst this jobber was lumbering around up front.

I'd go for Ellington as a poor loan too. He wasn't that bad, but he struggled to get in the team, so we'd paid 1.5 million for the privilege of having him sat on our bench.

14 minutes ago, Anon said:

I'd go for Ellington as a poor loan too. He wasn't that bad, but he struggled to get in the team, so we'd paid 1.5 million for the privilege of having him sat on our bench.

Just tried looking up his stats. 1 site has him scoring 2 goals for us and another has him scoring 3 for us.

I remember him getting a hat trick against Lincoln and who I'm sure anyone that was there could never forget the last minute penalty away at Stoke!

Seem to remember him having major problems after Ramadan due to lack of energy, or have I just made that up?

34 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just tried looking up his stats. 1 site has him scoring 2 goals for us and another has him scoring 3 for us.

I remember him getting a hat trick against Lincoln and who I'm sure anyone that was there could never forget the last minute penalty away at Stoke!

Seem to remember him having major problems after Ramadan due to lack of energy, or have I just made that up?

I remember reading an article about his Ramadan fasting at the time. I I also distinctly remember thinking that whilst that explained why he looked knackered in April, it didn't explain his poor form from September to March.

14 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I remember Jake Livermore stinking the place out when he came to us from Tottenham.

The match Livermore made the most passes to a Derby player was when we played Posh away, and he started for them. 

Archived