Ian Holloway Article

Woodley Ram

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

I thought there was a robust measure to ascertain a person's level of intelligence called the Intelligence Quotient which isn't subjective at all?

Nope, still subjective, just trying to apply more objective/quantitative qualities of testing. Intelligence isn't universal, so no universal testing means can calculate an objective score, simple as that really

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think abuse in terms of saying your sh** or similar or  what a f*88ing disgrace is obviously unpleasant but at the same time if I was at the Brentford game I would have been fuming and wouldn't have blamed people for it.  That sort of abuse doesn't help confidence but it doesn't (or shouldn't) make players loose the ball or start sulking and not trying  to give the middle finger to fans and the club as some sort of revenge.  When the abuse is racist or personal then it becomes completely wrong, and how angry you are wouldn't excuse you.  In European countries the abuse and booing is far worse, not saying it is right but a player should be able to deal with booing by just concentrating on their game or if they have to thinking duck the fans booing ,I will play well and try my hardest  whether it be for their career or loyalty to the club and not to the fans.

20 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I recon Holloway has had too much tractor wine. Why’s he even speaking to the DET?

You could buy a Massey Ferguson , when a John Deere (Bowyer) would have done a better job, considering the crops you were due to harvest, were hardly international quality.............

Another aspect to keep in mind is that those away fans will have spent a big widget of money to support their club, anything upwards of £60 - 100. It is quite a lump out of a week’s wages, only for guys on obscene amounts of money give such a poor performance that it shouts out you that you have just thrown your hard-earned money down the drain.

When you aren’t on much money, wasting it hurts and is frustrating, especially when the cause is people who are millionaires or well in the way to that status.

Sometimes a bit of positivity goes a long way though. How about the odd well done after a good bit of play or some encouragement for the lads

Yes the football is disappointing but i dont care if they are thousands a week they are only human and a bit of encouragement from the crowd might help 

Negativity breeds negativity. If the crowd keep up this criticism then eventually the football will get worse. Players will be less likely to try something, they'll look for the simple ball, eventually be frightened to lose it and stop showing for the ball. It'll get worse. Especially with young players, they'll go missing & confidence will be shot. How about if were not playing so well we encourage them ?‍♂️

Were supposed to be one club, one team & all have a part to play / responsibility to want the same thing. When it goes bad were too quick to turn on our own players. 

3 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

That isn't true, intelligence is subjective for one, the application of logic isn't. As for evidencing those claims, it'd be hard to collect quantitative data on the subject so not too much academia exists on the topic but the North American Journal of Psychology published an interesting paper in 2011 that discussed it: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281766861_Cheers_vs_Jeers_Effects_of_audience_feedback_on_individual_athletic_performance

Intelligence is subjective? Perceptions of someone's intellect are subjective but someone's actual ability isn't really subjective and can be measured pretty accurately. 

Also, I don't think people can be great logicians if they're not intelligent...  they need the intellect to produce the application of logic. If someone is unable to think logically or be logical when conducting an action then that is often a sign of a deficit of intellect somewhere.  

Anyway we've gone way off topic so I'm going to leave it there. 

2 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Its not that high validity wise IMO and the opinion of others, its quite maths focused and doesn't reflect the intelligence of more creative types. Its not subjective but its pretty narrow.

Yes it is (it has a 95% validity rating which is extraordinarily high for any kind of testing) it isn't massively maths focused (I've had to take one of these tests and it covers verbal and non-verbal skills) and actually the verbal part of the test at least for the one i did covered various aspects of thinking which comes under the parameters of creativity 

New country new squad of players new division to learn about dropped in it with a poor squad without balance two weeks before kick off has to settle and feel at home so gets vilified ....welcome to Derby Phil ....pathetic ....give the bloke a chance ....he probably doesn’t need this job money wise so is here for the right reasons ....just try shutting up if you’ve got nothing decent to shout out or just stay away ...that might help!! He needs time FFS 

25 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Yes it is (it has a 95% validity rating which is extraordinarily high for any kind of testing) it isn't massively maths focused (I've had to take one of these tests and it covers verbal and non-verbal skills) and actually the verbal part of the test at least for the one i did covered various aspects of thinking which comes under the parameters of creativity 

I think I just did a crap free online one TBH,  my score wasn't bad but the questions  for me had no real life applicability apart from the maths and spatial questions, testing if someone is able to see a word amongst letters is not really a good test of intelligence IMO.

9 hours ago, Papahet said:

He gets booed partially because he doesn’t acknowledge the supporters.

The togetherness just doesn’t seem to be there like last season under Lamps and Jody- It felt like we was all in it together. Cocu seems so distant with us  for some reason. Maybe he’s abit shy to bounce, but how hard can it be to come over and applaud the fans after two piss poor performances within the week?

Maybe he’s hesitant after the Turkey tenure but the togetherness isn’t there whatsoever ATM. Feels so detached since FL left 

so what you want is for him to bounce like lampard did before he showed his true colours and went to Chelsea,Mel didnt hire him to be your best m8 he hired him because he is one of Europes best managers,I just hope idiots dont drive him away,

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

Another aspect to keep in mind is that those away fans will have spent a big widget of money to support their club, anything upwards of £60 - 100. It is quite a lump out of a week’s wages, only for guys on obscene amounts of money give such a poor performance that it shouts out you that you have just thrown your hard-earned money down the drain.

When you aren’t on much money, wasting it hurts and is frustrating, especially when the cause is people who are millionaires or well in the way to that status.

do you seriously think that money comes into this?All the fans that went to Brentford all paid the same amount to go,But only a small amount were hurling the abuse apparently,Like all the gambling adds say if it hurts stop and if going to games causes the behaviour then best quit. Ambition is the driving force with all professional sportsman how much they earn has no effect on performance

31 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

Ambition is the driving force with all professional sportsman how much they earn has no effect on performance

Yeah, I'm calling ******** on that. Once players earn a certain amount, some of them get comfortable and stop putting the effort in. See half the players United have signed recently. How much they earn has plenty to do with performance, of course dependent on the person.

1 hour ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

I think I just did a crap free online one TBH,  my score wasn't bad but the questions  for me had no real life applicability apart from the maths and spatial questions, testing if someone is able to see a word amongst letters is not really a good test of intelligence IMO.

Yeah those free online ones don't tell you much and are pretty inaccurate. I had to do a proper one with an educational psychologist in college for my DSA application as i was diagnosed with dyspraxia when i was 3 so i was told i had to go through it again. It was a pain and i consider a waste of about 3 hours of my life aha 

4 hours ago, europia said:

Very disappointing that this is even being discussed only a few games into Philip Cocu's tenure. 

I might have a little moan if were not playing better round November/December. I'll definitely be annoyed if were not competing in April 2021.

Phillip Cocu managing Derby is like Suzi Quattro copping off with me in 1979, Derby and me punching above our weight.

Cocu has called his move to Derby as a long term project, he's signed a 4 year contract. 

Let him build, let him try different things, let him try the youngsters, lets relax and trust someone who knows a tad more about football than most of us....he's professional, focused and serious about this job. If it takes until next season then so what, we need a bit of continuity, a period of sensible squad building and seeing if the young lads are capable.

Stay calm fellas, save the histrionics for when the Rooney circus hits town.?

I wasn’t there so can’t really judge but I imagine a lot of this was frustration, having seen the entire first team rested for Forest because they aren’t fit enough to play 3 times in a week / to rest them ready for the big league game on Saturday, only to find us 3-0 down after what sounds like a spineless performance. After the forest team selection they needed a good result to justify it but came nowhere near. Maybe this led to the boos and shouts.

I for  one liked Lampard playing proper teams in the cups. Gave us some great nights out, put money in the bank, raised the profile of the club and the players didn’t exactly look tired on that run in at the end of the season. McClaren did the same with his team selection at Leicester and it took all momentum away from the season. Play your proper team and try and win it or what’s the point. 

10 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

so what you want is for him to bounce like lampard did before he showed his true colours and went to Chelsea,Mel didnt hire him to be your best m8 he hired him because he is one of Europes best managers,I just hope idiots dont drive him away,

He literally goes straight down the tunnel at full time, that’s pretty disrespectful IMO. I ain’t asking him to wave or jump up and down like a prat, but some connection surely ...

25 minutes ago, Papahet said:

He literally goes straight down the tunnel at full time, that’s pretty disrespectful IMO. I ain’t asking him to wave or jump up and down like a prat, but some connection surely ...

26 minutes ago, Papahet said:

you are being over sensitive do you ever see other managers walking across PP to clap their fans,Plus after that performance dont you think he might be that hissed off all he wanted was to get in and rollock the players

Archived