Ian Holloway Article

Woodley Ram

9 hours ago, Andicis said:

Yeah, I'm calling ******** on that. Once players earn a certain amount, some of them get comfortable and stop putting the effort in. See half the players United have signed recently. How much they earn has plenty to do with performance, of course dependent on the person.

if that was the case there would be signs of it every game,By all accounrs it was a below par by most

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reaction to articles such as Holloway’s always reminds me how powerful the media can be. In the immediate aftermath of the Brentford game there were a lot of angry opinions predominantly about the performance and a proportion about Cocu. In the following days the majority of comments that started appearing were in the it’s a disappointing start but he needs time mould. Sure, as with anything there are fans who already think Cocu is a failure but it’s ever thus with any manager in football or any other industry. As for the reaction of the fans in the stands after the game, Cocu actually referred to the fans booing and that it was to be expected to reinforce his own view that the performance wasn’t acceptable. Keogh made similar comments in the press on Monday. Holloway has been caught out a couple of times while doing punditry for being factually incorrect and it would be interesting to know what Cocu thinks about his interpretation of how IH has presented their discussion in the press. From the previous comments in this thread it shows how these stories can shift perception in an instant and there seems to be an underlying acceptance that there is a core of our fans vilifying Cocu and that he’s already under pressure from a large section of the fans, which I simply don’t think is the case. 

14 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Another aspect to keep in mind is that those away fans will have spent a big widget of money to support their club, anything upwards of £60 - 100. It is quite a lump out of a week’s wages, only for guys on obscene amounts of money give such a poor performance that it shouts out you that you have just thrown your hard-earned money down the drain.

When you aren’t on much money, wasting it hurts and is frustrating, especially when the cause is people who are millionaires or well in the way to that status.

Doesn’t give them the right to be abusive.

1 hour ago, TommyPowel said:

you are being over sensitive do you ever see other managers walking across PP to clap their fans,Plus after that performance dont you think he might be that hissed off all he wanted was to get in and rollock the players

If you are still talking about the Brentford performance he DIDN'T walk off without clapping. Yes, he walked straight off but he clapped the fans all the way, despite some booing. (It was quieter at full time as a lot of "fans" had left early - I assume mostly booers.)

If the OP was making a more general comment about Pride Park then I can't actually see the manager after about 80 minutes from where I sit for the procession of fans leaving West Upper. They don't do much clapping either!

On 06/09/2019 at 14:06, Leeds Ram said:

I mean a man being sworn at when walking off the pitch is what happens when you lose 3-0 and don't acknowledge the fans existence. Obviously i don't approve of saying he should 'go back to where he came from' which a certain ex manager of ours said about a player once... 

Swearing at someone after a few games because they’ve not 

On 06/09/2019 at 14:15, GenBr said:

Who the **** is booing him because he doesn't come and clap the fans. Just because Lampard came and started the bounce doesn't mean every manager will be "one of the lads" like him. I would like to think most of us aren't so needy that we are going to start booing just because he's hurt our feelings by not coming over to us. You can boo the team for poor performances all you like, but there is no excuse to make it personal - especially not this.

They have performed badly in two games in a row - I fail to see why you think anyone even the players would come over to applaud the fans after the abuse they received all game long.

Exactly. We’re 6 games into the season with a new manager, new back room staff and very different starting line up after losing last seasons big players for Christ sake! 6 games! Some people need to get a grip. So quick to abuse. You’d think we were 26 games into the season and languishing in the relegation zone. 

A new team with new management is going to take a few months to settle in and gel. Rooney’s arriving in jan. He’ll do it by himself. People need to chill out. 

4 minutes ago, Dean Saunder’s hat trick said:

Swearing at someone after a few games because they’ve not 

Exactly. We’re 6 games into the season with a new manager, new back room staff and very different starting line up after losing last seasons big players for Christ sake! 6 games! Some people need to get a grip. So quick to abuse. You’d think we were 26 games into the season and languishing in the relegation zone. 

A new team with new management is going to take a few months to settle in and gel. Rooney’s arriving in jan. He’ll do it by himself. People need to chill out. 

PS, swearings not big and it’s also not very clever

The thing that annoys me the most about all of this is that when/if things go well under Cocu, the same fans will be bouncing, dancing, singing as if they hadn’t ever behaved the way they did at Brentford.

Not sure how you can do that and not be embarrassed.

On 06/09/2019 at 14:01, SaintRam said:

No amount of money gives anyone the right to abuse people, unless of course it's a transaction related to a seedy basement.

The lack of separation between criticism and abuse in a minority of  football fans is really quite jarring to be honest.

Just corrected that for you but, your comments are still perfectly valid.

8 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

Re: Ian Holloway ....on a serious note ......

i bet when he gets home after spending his morning with Laura Woods on TalkSport he has one hell of a five knuckle shuffle !!

Have you heard him on Talksport? I suspect hes not waiting until he gets home

On 06/09/2019 at 14:08, Leeds Ram said:

I think shouting and swearing while attending a football match after such an awful performance is quite normal behaviour especially since emotions get so high. Obviously if they went up in the street and did it to intimidate him then that's not okay but that's not what we're talking about. The stadium is an arena where fans can voice their love, happiness and also displeasure and there is nothing wrong with that. 

A pathetically juvenile attitude. Fans , including me, might use swear words to talk about how bad the game was or how bad a player had performed - but to think its right to swear at and abuse an individual such as the manager is not acceptable in any situation. This is nothing to do with whether one is a 'proper' fan and shouldn't be normalised.  

2 hours ago, DRBee said:

A pathetically juvenile attitude. Fans , including me, might use swear words to talk about how bad the game was or how bad a player had performed - but to think its right to swear at and abuse an individual such as the manager is not acceptable in any situation. This is nothing to do with whether one is a 'proper' fan and shouldn't be normalised.  

What's the actual difference between describing a player on a forum as utter poo and shouting it in a stadium? 

On 06/09/2019 at 14:08, Leeds Ram said:

I think shouting and swearing while attending a football match after such an awful performance is quite normal behaviour 

36 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

What's the actual difference between describing a player on a forum as utter poo and shouting it in a stadium? 

giphy.gif

we've all seen instances of fans turning on their own players, fellow fans, and innocent by-standers.

a few examples stick in my mind.

two Derby fans running half the length of west lower to confront mceverly, shouting to get his attention (which they did) and bellowing " you're fkn wnk" whilst making hand jestures. It looked as though he was going to get physically attacked such was the level of animosity. 

Derby fans at burton away raging against the team. Toxic is only word to describe the outpouring of abuse. One middle aged 'fan' ran to the front as the half time whistle blew specifically to abuse carson, before he disappeared. Why carson?

i've virtually given up going to away games due to that abusive, pished up, toxic majority. Its a day out with an entire asbo community. Pished  up and ready to kick off with anyone - players, manager, fellow supporters, stewards, police, passers by.....absolutely anyone is a potential target for aggro from the farting, foul mouled, thickos. i don't find even the 'Dark Fruits' getting-pished-up-en-route-to-the-match stuff even remotely amusing. Its just tedious. It glorifies a culture of general dickheadedness.

It was readily apparent v brentford that the same attitude of supporter aggression and abuse prevailed at half time. It was a poor performance but is that aggressive response justified even in the heat of the moment?

Personally i don't find any of the above responses acceptable. Booing or slow hand clapping as a general show of dissatisfaction is about the limit. Hand jestures. Screaming and bellowing abuse to individuals. Barging around because you haven't had your wave.

Absolutely Pathetic.

Archived