Matt Clarke - Joined on loan for the season AGAIN

Animal is a Ram

9 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Marshall

Te Wierik    Clarke   Panzo

Bogle             Bird/Rooney            Lowe

Sibley/Holmes   Shinnie/Knight

Waghorn         Marriott

Chuck Bielik in there and a new striker and it's looking very tasty.

That might be perfect. I'm going to bed to have dreams about that line up.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

That might be perfect. I'm going to bed to have dreams about that line up.

Defensively it looks stronger (though we haven't seen Te Wierik or Panzo play). 

I'm just not sure where the goals are going to come from unless we can get another creative player and a proper striker. I hope Marriott returns to form and stays fit but if he doesn't, there's a lot of pressure on Waghorn with just JHI as back-up. 

33 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Defensively it looks stronger (though we haven't seen Te Wierik or Panzo play). 

I'm just not sure where the goals are going to come from unless we can get another creative player and a proper striker. I hope Marriott returns to form and stays fit but if he doesn't, there's a lot of pressure on Waghorn with just JHI as back-up. 

Agree I think a striker is important as cannot rely on Marriott staying fit it seems unfortunately.... also....if we were to get someone like Jota from Villa for example it would all of a sudden give our offensive side a different look as he's a creative player and think we need something different at times but if we get Panzo and Clarke i really like how we are shaping up.

What I like about Clarke is he is not a poser or tries to be something he isn't and comes across as one of us , a tryer , a player maybe not blessed with enough to play at the very top but a very good solid dependable heart on his sleeve type of player who always gives his all...he'd be my captain if we could sign him on a permanent as i like his attitude and for me was our best player in the second half of the season, would be great to get him on a permanent as we could literally get 10 years out of him, good in the air and very decent with his feet 

13 minutes ago, S8TY said:

What I like about Clarke is he is not a poser or tries to be something he isn't and comes across as one of us , a tryer , a player maybe not blessed with enough to play at the very top but a very good solid dependable heart on his sleeve type of player who always gives his all...he'd be my captain if we could sign him on a permanent as i like his attitude and for me was our best player in the second half of the season, would be great to get him on a permanent as we could literally get 10 years out of him, good in the air and very decent with his feet 

Yes, I agree. As a replacement for Tomori I initially thought he was a bit slow & lumbering - but as the season went on he seemed to adapt and became one of our best players - hence him getting "Player of the Season". He would again fit in quickly to the style of play Cocu wants and of course he knows everyone. It's a yes from me...

54 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Agree I think a striker is important as cannot rely on Marriott staying fit it seems unfortunately.... also....if we were to get someone like Jota from Villa for example it would all of a sudden give our offensive side a different look as he's a creative player and think we need something different at times but if we get Panzo and Clarke i really like how we are shaping up.

I agree however we do always have an old man called rooney that can still play up top and I'm pretty sure would score plenty.

19 minutes ago, Ramslaar said:

I agree however we do always have an old man called rooney that can still play up top and I'm pretty sure would score plenty.

I think that is where he will need to play as I think the Rooney/Bird partnership in midfield is just too slow and immobile ?

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I think that is where he will need to play as I think the Rooney/Bird partnership in midfield is just too slow and immobile ?

We’ve just got rid of one striker that can’t run, don’t want another. 

If, a big if, but if, we signed Panzo having a Clarke/Panzo centre back pairing with Bielik and Bird in midfield looks excellent on paper. 

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

We’ve just got rid of one striker that can’t run, don’t want another. 

If, a big if, but if, we signed Panzo having a Clarke/Panzo centre back pairing with Bielik and Bird in midfield looks excellent on paper. 

With the sponsorship deal I would think Rooney will need to play somewhere ?

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

With the sponsorship deal I would think Rooney will need to play somewhere ?

That's dependant on whether you believe the contract signed guarantees he starts every game. I'd like to think it wouldn't - either way, I'm talking longer term, Bielik isn't even fit yet. As for Rooney though, his post lockdown form was atrocious and if he plays like that he shouldn't start games on form alone.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

That's dependant on whether you believe the contract signed guarantees he starts every game. I'd like to think it wouldn't - either way, I'm talking longer term, Bielik isn't even fit yet. As for Rooney though, his post lockdown form was atrocious and if he plays like that he shouldn't start games on form alone.

Agreed. I don’t think he will be able to start every game, hope for 20 appearances maybe? I am not sure where it would be best to play him...

If we are going to be starting with 2 'brand new' players in defence in te Wierik and Panzo (assuming rumours are true), then getting Matt Clarke back (a defender who knows the club and how we want to play) could be key to starting the season well... A new GK and 3 new defenders would take some time to develop an understanding.

Also, a defence like this (swapping full backs depending on who we're playing) looks very solid on paper:

Marshall

Wisdom/Bogle, te Wierik, Clarke, Panzo/Lowe

A winger and a CF come in in the next week or two and I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about next season than I was ?

Three central defenders means you don’t need two holding mids. Also Rooney likes to come deep to get the ball but they’d be no space and unless we went all Sheff Utd with overlapping centre backs it ain’t going to work.

We know Rooney will play, and not at the expense of Bird either.

I honestly don’t see us Going three at the back. Either he wants three top class centre backs on the books and Panzo is seen as a long term buy or he wants him at LB and therefore Lowe and Malone are surplus to requirements.

I can't see us playing 5 ATB for 3 reasons

1. Lawrence is one of our key players and highest earners and wouldn't fit in to a 532 or 5212 as he wouldn't play striker or CM or start over Sibley behind the stikers.

2. We have a lot of midfielders and a lot of holding ones like Shinnie ,Bielik and Bird and 5ATB doesn't utilise them properly.

3.  Bogle is good enough to play as wing back but none of our left backs can be relied upon to have the attacking ability to carry the left hand side of our attack and unlock defences with quality play which you need when you play without wingers.

We will play a 4231

with something like this:

Marshall

Bogle Ter Wierik Clarke/Panzo  Lowe/Panzo

Rooney     Bird

New       Sibley     Lawrence

Waghorn

11 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Lawrence is one of our key players and highest earners and wouldn't fit in to a 532 or 5212 as he wouldn't play striker or CM or start over Sibley

I have a sneaky suspicion that Cocu might fancy him as a no. 9.

Get him scoring more from that position and his value would rocket. 

3 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I have a sneaky suspicion that Cocu might fancy him as a no. 9.

Get him scoring more from that position and his value would rocket. 

He does his best work from central areas 

his biggest asset is That he can go either way and has a rocket of a shot 

crossing is average, decision making with the ball is average, but give him a sight of goal and not he can hit it, that one he hit at Swansea is still travelling lol.

he’s kinda like vydra in that he’s better running At goal with the ball Centrally than trying to play with his back to it or trying to work something from our wide.

Archived