Matt Clarke - Joined on loan for the season AGAIN

Animal is a Ram

11 minutes ago, SimonBHA said:

I kinda hope if Clarke does go out on loan again that he goes to you simply because its a breath of fresh air reading Derby fans comments regarding Clarke compared to Leeds with White. Ironically, a lot of the nonsense they throw at us, would be more valid with Clarke than White. As we haven't developed Clarke at all! 

Leeds fans being obnoxious is nothing new to Derby fans ?

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be ecstatic with that.

IF the interest in Panzo is genuine, I wonder if it’s with a view to LB for this season, then he can take over from Clarke if we lost him again after the second loan spell.

There’s apparently interest in Lowe, we could hopefully find a taker for Malone, and Buchanan could get a full season of experience out on loan.

A back five of the following could really transform this team into a real force next season...

Marshall

Bogle MTW Clarke Panzo

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Would be ecstatic with that.

IF the interest in Panzo is genuine, I wonder if it’s with a view to LB for this season, then he can take over from Clarke if we lost him again after the second loan spell.

There’s apparently interest in Lowe, we could hopefully find a taker for Malone, and Buchanan could get a full season of experience out on loan.

A back five of the following could really transform this team into a real force next season...

Marshall

Bogle MTW Clarke Panzo

I think if you look at the amount of first team football Panzo has played; and at what level - it would be very reasonable if he's being targeted to being a CB backup and not a starter anywhere this season, focusing on development - with a view to stepping into Clarke's shoes next season when I'd imagine it's very unlikely he comes back.

If Clarke comes back for a second season he'll be playing. We'd have gone from no depth in CBs to an over abundance of options with Wis, Foz, Davies, MTW, Clarke, Evans, Bielik and potentially Panzo. 

Cocu must have an eye on a back three plan B?

Just now, SaintRam said:

I think if you look at the amount of first team football Panzo has played; and at what level - it would be very reasonable if he's being targeted to being a CB backup and not a starter anywhere this season, focusing on development - with a view to stepping into Clarke's shoes next season when I'd imagine it's very unlikely he comes back.

Possibly, but I just couldn’t see us spending a couple million on a back-up CB, even if it was one for the future. Unless of course we again have more to spend than expected. 

If we got Clarke back, I think we’d be pretty well stocked in the CB department with him, Dutch Mike, Bielik, Davies, Evans, Wisdom and Forsyth all playing there fairly recently.

We rotated LB quite a lot last season, seeing as it’s usually quite a consistent position for most teams who have one first choice LB.

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Possibly, but I just couldn’t see us spending a couple million on a back-up CB, even if it was one for the future. Unless of course we again have more to spend than expected. 

If we got Clarke back, I think we’d be pretty well stocked in the CB department with him, Dutch Mike, Bielik, Davies, Evans, Wisdom and Forsyth all playing there fairly recently.

We rotated LB quite a lot last season, seeing as it’s usually quite a consistent position for most teams who have one first choice LB.

If it's the only money we spend, I could totally see it. Our youth CBs are really not all that promising and our senior CBs are getting on ? 

Would be spending now to save later

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

I'd be very surprised if Evans wasn't moved on if these signings came off.

He'd arguably be 6th choice CB and about 5th/6th choice CM too.

Just now, SaintRam said:

If it's the only money we spend, I could totally see it. Our youth CBs are really not all that promising and our senior CBs are getting on ? 

Would be spending now to save later

It would make sense for the future, definitely. It’s just if we’re tight on cash then spending “big” on a player who isn’t going to play & adding even more bodies to that area wouldn’t be the best way of saving on cash.

Obviously if that happened, I would expect him to still play a fair bit and be the first to come in at CB ahead of the other listed players, but he’s a talented player who won’t be short of offers and I’m sure he’ll want first team football as soon as possible.

On 17/08/2020 at 00:49, SimonBHA said:

Agree £40m is a lot for a 28 year-old but Dunk really is an excellent defender. Comfortably more polished than Adam Webster say, who was £20m last summer from Bristol City. Appreciate Webster's younger and will hopefully develop into a great defender but I think with Dunk, if it's true, Chelsea get the finished article, not a work in progress. 

I think the final doubts any of the big clubs had about him were probably answered this past season as we played a much higher line and a far more expansive game leaving him a lot more exposed and less protected. He was still mighty.

I kinda hope if Clarke does go out on loan again that he goes to you simply because its a breath of fresh air reading Derby fans comments regarding Clarke compared to Leeds with White. Ironically, a lot of the nonsense they throw at us, would be more valid with Clarke than White. As we haven't developed Clarke at all! 

I don't think the comments about a different challenge would mean a loan with Prem (wouldn't want to help any rivals) or another Championship side. I suspect they might have a move abroad in mind. Time will tell, main thing is hopefully he's playing. My gut feeling is if he goes out on loan it might be on or close to deadline day once we know where we stand with all our other defensive options.

Lot of money £40m but agreed Dunk has been a top player for a number of years now, we even tried to buy him at one stage. White is a good player and played well for the dirties last year. Clarke underwhelmed me when he arrived and just got better and better. The fact he was our player of the season speaks volumes. He is a quick learner is Clarke I would welcome him back

Archived