Matt Clarke - Joined on loan for the season AGAIN

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clarke is an easy one if we want to get it done.

£3.5m and the same wages. Who says no? Brighton make a little profit out of him for sending him out on loan and then recouping their fee. Clarke doesn’t take a pay cut. We sign Keogh’s replacement and can focus on other areas. It’s a proven entity. 

17 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Clarke is an easy one if we want to get it done.

£3.5m and the same wages. Who says no? Brighton make a little profit out of him for sending him out on loan and then recouping their fee. Clarke doesn’t take a pay cut. We sign Keogh’s replacement and can focus on other areas. It’s a proven entity. 

Didn’t Brighton pay Portsmouth £5 million ish  ? 

I am not sure how we can pay a transfer fee to anyone if we have very little income 

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Didn’t Brighton pay Portsmouth £5 million ish  ? 

I am not sure how we can pay a transfer fee to anyone if we have very little income 

I think it was £3.5m guaranteed (upfront), but you make a good point. Brighton are asking between £40-50m for Ben White apparently, so I doubt Leeds will make that happen. I just think that Brighton have a lot of bodies there so Clarke will be available, no two ways about it. I guess unless something changes then it won’t be to us. 

Swap Clarke for Lawrence.

only thing is Clarke is obviously not 23 as advertised. Got to be 33.

Maybe 43?

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

Swap Clarke for Lawrence.

only thing is Clarke is obviously not 23 as advertised. Got to be 33.

Maybe 43?

Clarke is actually pretty good with the ball at his feet, but I just can't see Lawrence at central defence!

On 20/06/2020 at 19:51, RoyMac5 said:

Lol! You've got that the wrong way around. Bogle is streets ahead of Wisdom in all respects.

Plus it’s no coincidence our season bombed when he could not play. We only lost four games all season when he started. We lost as many in the last few games he didn’t play

Will another season for Clarke on loan enhance his value - more than likely yes in all reality plus there is less money currently in the market place.

So for Brighton you can only see two genuine possibilities:

1) Loan him out in order to A) Turn him into a star or B) Enhance his value. They need to decide if Derby is the right option.

2) They genuinely see him as part of their squad for this season. If they intend to bring White back, plus the new signing, you'd have to think this is doubtful with Dunk, Duffy and one other whose name escapes me.

Got to think we stand a good chance of bringing him back now.

Trouble is Brighton regularly switch formation between 3 and 4 at the back where the left sided centre back is comfortable at left back. This means they have to be a left footer.

As far as I know only Dan Burn fits this at the moment, Clarke would as well. All their others, including Veltman, are right footed. 

Hope I’m wrong and we do get him back but in a way he is competing for a different role in the team to Dunk, Duffy, White et al

If he was deemed surplus to requirements last season.

They have now signed/re-resigned to two more centre half's one a U23 international promotion winner and another a full international title winner in Holland.

One would rightly assume (barring a large number of injury's) he would be lucky to get anywhere near their squad.

They must feel that he is not quite a premiership player.  

We could get him back on loan with an option or right to buy to decent price in today's market.

2 hours ago, nottingram said:

Trouble is Brighton regularly switch formation between 3 and 4 at the back where the left sided centre back is comfortable at left back. This means they have to be a left footer.

As far as I know only Dan Burn fits this at the moment, Clarke would as well. All their others, including Veltman, are right footed. 

Hope I’m wrong and we do get him back but in a way he is competing for a different role in the team to Dunk, Duffy, White et al

Swap him with Malone then and it’s problem sorted for us and them ? 

2 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

If he was deemed surplus to requirements last season.

They have now signed/re-resigned to two more centre half's one a U23 international promotion winner and another a full international title winner in Holland.

One would rightly assume (barring a large number of injury's) he would be lucky to get anywhere near their squad.

They must feel that he is not quite a premiership player.  

We could get him back on loan with an option or right to buy to decent price in today's market.

It’s my personal opinion but he hasn’t looked good enough for the premiership so far so I can’t see him playing there for Brighton with what they have at their disposal currently. Could we get him on loan? Maybe but premiership clubs want large amounts of money for loans and usually wages as well, is it worth us signing someone who we can develop for us? Maybe, 

what we need to remember is that there is hardly any money coming through the door due to the pandemic and a very poor TV deal and all the current staff need paying, we would need to sell and sell well if we are to buy/ loan anyone probably and we don’t want the youngsters to go but they are the ones that would fetch the best fees.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

He's good and I'd be happy to have him back, but let's not pretend he's the only capable championship defender in the world

Trouble is could you trust us to actually find another? See the youtube vid of that Mirin, he looks like a Clod wannabe! ?

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

He's good and I'd be happy to have him back, but let's not pretend he's the only capable championship defender in the world

Exactly my point and the fear would be paying out a chunk of money to cover a loan whilst not generating any profit for ourselves 

Archived