I want a signing today!

Love how people are saying Dowell is a suitable replacement for Mount based on pre-season games against weak opposition. 

Mount has signed a 5 year deal for a champions league club, been called up to the senior England squad and was an ever present in our team last year scoring some vital goals. 

Id love Dowell to be a suitable replacement but it seems a little early to be making that statement at this stage. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Lol 

Positive spin doctor lol, I'm no pessimist but that is the very best case scenario in every case with this squad a few injuries and we could finish around 15th-12th most likely we will finish around 10th , its not really good enough but we may have to accept it will be a midtable season due to not be able to replace the loans adequately.

7 hours ago, Jayram said:

We are proper skint aren’t we? The whole thing about bringing the academy players on is very laudable but in reality how many are really going to be good enough to get us promoted? 

We are going to need to have the patience of saints because the squad as it stands is nowhere near good enough to challenge the top six. 

You need to dream man. It isn’t always about a great pro. It’s about a team gelling. It could happen, kids can win things you know. 

3 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

Love how people are saying Dowell is a suitable replacement for Mount based on pre-season games against weak opposition. 

Mount has signed a 5 year deal for a champions league club, been called up to the senior England squad and was an ever present in our team last year scoring some vital goals. 

Id love Dowell to be a suitable replacement but it seems a little early to be making that statement at this stage. 

People are kidding themselves if they think we will be able to replace Wilson , Mount and Tomori with similar quality loans, I'd like some permanent signings from Holland if possible , surely we should atleast be able to bring in 2 or 3 on a permanent basis.

There is no point making signings unless they are better than what we already have. I'm sure by the end of the window there will be some new faces but look at some of the donkeys we've signed in the past (Savage springs to mind) just to make up numbers. I firmly believe the squad we have is going to be good enough for this league. The only point of bringing someone in is to improve us. 

As we stand we have some of the best youngsters in the country in our academy,  a lot of quality in our first team and the future is looking bright. It's seriously unlikely that we can afford anyone of sufficient quality to justify the outlay so let's go with what we have. 

Consistency and effort are more important than prima donnas who think they are doing us a favour.

2 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

No he wasn't.

1 hour ago, HiltonoRama said:

There is no point making signings unless they are better than what we already have. I'm sure by the end of the window there will be some new faces but look at some of the donkeys we've signed in the past (Savage springs to mind) just to make up numbers. I firmly believe the squad we have is going to be good enough for this league. The only point of bringing someone in is to improve us. 

As we stand we have some of the best youngsters in the country in our academy,  a lot of quality in our first team and the future is looking bright. It's seriously unlikely that we can afford anyone of sufficient quality to justify the outlay so let's go with what we have. 

Consistency and effort are more important than prima donnas who think they are doing us a favour.

Ill say it until I turn blue.. Its much better to consitently play sibley, bird ect and accept a "bad" season under cocu rather than buy average CC players on 3 year contracts hoping we scrape 6th

8 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Ill say it until I turn blue.. Its much better to consitently play sibley, bird ect and accept a "bad" season under cocu rather than buy average CC players on 3 year contracts hoping we scrape 6th

Though I agree on signing average players playing the youngster consistently in a struggling or average team will either set their development back or they will disappear for good.

Because if you think the majority of fans many buying on the back of last seasons promise from the team and the feel good factor will accept anything less than a playoff challenging season you are very mistaken.

If we are not winning most of our home games the atmosphere will be awful the youngsters need filtering in and taking out when they dip in  form that inevitability happens, Bogle went through a spell of it last season even in a decent team.

A couple of shrewd signings and we again can recreate last season being they loans or permanent from home or abroad.

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Skint? No. Restricted by FFP? Yes. The plan going forward is to avoid the FFP mess we got ourselves into following Clement's spell in charge. Using youths as squad fillers is much more sustainable than giving the likes of Butterfield and Anya over £20k per week.

Youths likely to be at least as squad players: Bogle, Lowe, Bird, Sibley, Knight, Bennett. Other youths may get the odd game here and there when we suffer from a few injuries/suspensions.

Bogle - almost ever present last season and was a serious contender for player of the season
Bennett - a useful squad player last season
Lowe and Bird - made a few apps each
Sibley and Knight - Knight appeared on the bench at the end of the season

Bogle kicking on from last season, Bennett being a more regular starter, Lowe and Bird rotating in for Malone and Huddlestone for 20 games, Sibley and Knight getting 10 games each, are all reasonable predictions

Didn't do Norwich much harm with Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey and Cantwell making the jump up from never playing a minute in the Championship before last season.

From last season, we've lost Tomori, Pearce, Cole, Johnson, Ledley, Mount, Bryson, King, Wilson and Nugent from those who came on the pitch.

Pearce, Ledley, and King hardly touched the ball so don't need to be replaced.

Cole replaced by Lowe, Bryson replaced by Shinnie, Mount replaced by Dowell and Nugent replaced by Martin... all are similar in ability.

That leaves us with Tomori, Johnson and Wilson. So, up to 3 more loans and we'll be on par with what we had last season. Evans and Davies at CB could cancel out the loss of Tomori. Bird and Thorne could step up to replace Johnson. Leaving the real difference being Jozefzoon and Bennett playing more regularly in place of Wilson. Both of which are team players so the team overall could improve as a result. There's plenty of time to sign players in these three positions anyway - I'll be very surprised if we don't sign at least one more player

Yeah. Thats pretty much it in terms of a like for like comparison on numbers.

the issue thereafter is whether we've missed an opportunity to improve.

We've probably missed the opportunity to sign a genuine left footed attacking mid / winger. Could have had one.

And in midfield whilst we have a few up and coming youngsters, and one or two worthy senior pros, we could have signed a really outstanding central midfielder of our own. (I'm sure we used to have a blonde lad?).

evans has slotted into a new role very well and looks the real deal  (altho yet to be seriously tested). And we still have andre wisdom in reserve so maybe Less really is more. 

I think bennett is ready to step up and can play numerous roles. Knight looks very promising. 

We can afford to be very selective.

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Skint? No. Restricted by FFP? Yes. The plan going forward is to avoid the FFP mess we got ourselves into following Clement's spell in charge. Using youths as squad fillers is much more sustainable than giving the likes of Butterfield and Anya over £20k per week.

Youths likely to be at least as squad players: Bogle, Lowe, Bird, Sibley, Knight, Bennett. Other youths may get the odd game here and there when we suffer from a few injuries/suspensions.

Bogle - almost ever present last season and was a serious contender for player of the season
Bennett - a useful squad player last season
Lowe and Bird - made a few apps each
Sibley and Knight - Knight appeared on the bench at the end of the season

Bogle kicking on from last season, Bennett being a more regular starter, Lowe and Bird rotating in for Malone and Huddlestone for 20 games, Sibley and Knight getting 10 games each, are all reasonable predictions

Didn't do Norwich much harm with Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey and Cantwell making the jump up from never playing a minute in the Championship before last season.

From last season, we've lost Tomori, Pearce, Cole, Johnson, Ledley, Mount, Bryson, King, Wilson and Nugent from those who came on the pitch.

Pearce, Ledley, and King hardly touched the ball so don't need to be replaced.

Cole replaced by Lowe, Bryson replaced by Shinnie, Mount replaced by Dowell and Nugent replaced by Martin... all are similar in ability.

That leaves us with Tomori, Johnson and Wilson. So, up to 3 more loans and we'll be on par with what we had last season. Evans and Davies at CB could cancel out the loss of Tomori. Bird and Thorne could step up to replace Johnson. Leaving the real difference being Jozefzoon and Bennett playing more regularly in place of Wilson. Both of which are team players so the team overall could improve as a result. There's plenty of time to sign players in these three positions anyway - I'll be very surprised if we don't sign at least one more player

Yeah. Thats pretty much it in terms of a like for like comparison on numbers.

the issue thereafter is whether we've missed an opportunity to improve.

We've probably missed the opportunity to sign a genuine left footed attacking mid / winger. Could have had one.

And in midfield whilst we have a few up and coming youngsters, and one or two worthy senior pros, we could have signed a really outstanding central midfielder of our own. (I'm sure we used to have a blonde lad?).

evans has slotted into a new role very well and looks the real deal  (altho yet to be seriously tested). And we still have andre wisdom in reserve so maybe Less really is more. 

I think bennett is ready to step up and can play numerous roles. Knight looks very promising. 

We can afford to be very selective.

3 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

People are kidding themselves if they think we will be able to replace Wilson , Mount and Tomori with similar quality loans, I'd like some permanent signings from Holland if possible , surely we should atleast be able to bring in 2 or 3 on a permanent basis.

To be honest, I suspect most of us had never heard of Wilson, Mount and Tomori or at best knew very little of them. Who's to say new hidden gems couldn't be uncovered? 

Our signings will be loans from premier league clubs most of them are just getting back of pre season abroad so movement will happen, rather wait till they are back than get the ones clubs clearly don’t want to look at in pre season so they go early in the window

4 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Did that stop you from ever telling someone what you want?

Makes it hell of a lot easier in the long run.

4 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Parents say a lot of things to avoid buying colourful trash for their offspring

She also said people who say “I would like” do better.

At the same time she once asked me and my brothers to be quiet so she could listen to the snow on the windows...

She’s a mad old bag sometimes ?

Archived