I want a signing today!

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

To be honest, I suspect most of us had never heard of Wilson, Mount and Tomori or at best knew very little of them. Who's to say new hidden gems couldn't be uncovered? 

They could be, but Tomori, Mount and Wilson were all very successful loans, it will be hard to find players of that quality willing to  play at this level, look and Ampadu , not even played much for Chelsea and has only played for Exeter and for Wales against crap teams mostly and now will be playing for Leipzig in the Bundesliga. I think we only got Mount becuase of Lampard if not he would have looked to play abroad again.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Blondest Goat said:

Love how people are saying Dowell is a suitable replacement for Mount based on pre-season games against weak opposition. 

Mount has signed a 5 year deal for a champions league club, been called up to the senior England squad and was an ever present in our team last year scoring some vital goals. 

Id love Dowell to be a suitable replacement but it seems a little early to be making that statement at this stage. 

Dowell has been brought in instead of Mount. All he has to do.now is play his best like everyone else.

3 hours ago, HiltonoRama said:

There is no point making signings unless they are better than what we already have. I'm sure by the end of the window there will be some new faces but look at some of the donkeys we've signed in the past (Savage springs to mind) just to make up numbers. I firmly believe the squad we have is going to be good enough for this league. The only point of bringing someone in is to improve us. 

As we stand we have some of the best youngsters in the country in our academy,  a lot of quality in our first team and the future is looking bright. It's seriously unlikely that we can afford anyone of sufficient quality to justify the outlay so let's go with what we have. 

Consistency and effort are more important than prima donnas who think they are doing us a favour.

Basically true what you say, HR.

This feels very similar to the summer when Pearson came in as manager, so expect a double signing from Watford and Chris Weale to turn up on the last few days of the window. 

Cocu will be gone be gone before October. MAC3 will take us from relegation trouble into the top six then back out again. Rowett2 will bore us to a steady top 10 finish since we're immune from finishing outside it. 

Looking forward to it. 

14 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If this is the case that is all okay with me, but fans are going to need serious patience next season because we may well be way behind a fair few teams.

It could be a long old season.

Yes I would think that to be the case. 

5 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

We haven't won promotion after spunking millions on bang average players so we may as well try the route of integrating youth players into the team, can't have any worse results can it.....

Yep. Unfortunatly, we do not have the wriggle room or probably the will of the chairman to spunk 20 million on the Dacks etc.  I can count few players we have produced, maybe 8 or 9 in the last 30 years that have been top end championship players and only a few that were of a higher standard. There may be a couple in the current crop but that's if were lucky.   Realistically we cannot hope to achieve top six by shoving a load of kids into the squad and telling them to try there best, in fact it would probably finish them off unless they had exceptional talent to cover the nerves.  There have been some good freebies available - Adomah for example would have been a decent shout .  To be honest all this crap with Lampard has set us back a month.   We need at least 3 or 4 decent players with experience to come in or it will be a long old winter .

39 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Yep. Unfortunatly, we do not have the wriggle room or probably the will of the chairman to spunk 20 million on the Dacks etc.  I can count few players we have produced, maybe 8 or 9 in the last 30 years that have been top end championship players and only a few that were of a higher standard. There may be a couple in the current crop but that's if were lucky.   Realistically we cannot hope to achieve top six by shoving a load of kids into the squad and telling them to try there best, in fact it would probably finish them off unless they had exceptional talent to cover the nerves.  There have been some good freebies available - Adomah for example would have been a decent shout .  To be honest all this crap with Lampard has set us back a month.   We need at least 3 or 4 decent players with experience to come in or it will be a long old winter .

Do you support Derby    because they will get promotion or are they your team no matter what league the are in just so long as they entertain?

27 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

Do you support Derby    because they will get promotion or are they your team no matter what league the are in just so long as they entertain?

If I supported a club because they got promotion clearly I would be changing every year .    Are you happy to watch Derby play Millwall every year till the end of time.  Would I prefer a Newcastle under Keegan team winning 4-2 every week -yes,  but I would happily take a year or two of being Burnley for the greater good winning 18 games 1-0 to get promoted and consolidating.  I have children in my family doing GCSE'S who have never seen Derby play top flight football. I want that to change asap, I'm not bothered how.

2 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If I supported a club because they got promotion clearly I would be changing every year .    Are you happy to watch Derby play Millwall every year till the end of time.  Would I prefer a Newcastle under Keegan team winning 4-2 every week -yes,  but I would happily take a year or two of being Burnley for the greater good winning 18 games 1-0 to get promoted and consolidating.  I have children in my family doing GCSE'S who have never seen Derby play top flight football. I want that to change asap, I'm not bothered how.

Believe me theres worse things than watching Millwall. Try Dec 1955 non division Boston Utd at home in the cup ooops we lose 6-1 to rub salt in the wounds ex Rams player scores hat trick.But the big problem now days is the money is stacked against the likes of the Ram when relegated clubs are getting such huge parachute payments As i see it we haveone course and thats the one that Mel is trying to work towards a 1st team with 75/80 percent of the likes of Bogle.to me its a choice Mels way or the likes of Bolton and Notts County.We will still occasionally get the special nights for excitement and pride Leeds last year is up there with Benfica at home

13 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

We haven't won promotion after spunking millions on bang average players so we may as well try the route of integrating youth players into the team, can't have any worse results can it.....

Precisely - People can be a little binary on this, promotion or nothing. Far better to watch us try with an exciting young squad, either we may fail or succeed but I know I'd rather watching us do it with a more organic approach....

40 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

Precisely - People can be a little binary on this, promotion or nothing. Far better to watch us try with an exciting young squad, either we may fail or succeed but I know I'd rather watching us do it with a more organic approach....

Its not binary , there is a way of failure finishing 8th with free flowing football would be respectable , finish bottom half and we are back 5  or 6 years and with the depth of squad we have now I wouldn't rule it out. We can't be arrogant enough to assume we will be top 10 every season , we need 2 or 3 new players and sharpish.

13 hours ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

They could be, but Tomori, Mount and Wilson were all very successful loans, it will be hard to find players of that quality willing to  play at this level, look and Ampadu , not even played much for Chelsea and has only played for Exeter and for Wales against crap teams mostly and now will be playing for Leipzig in the Bundesliga. I think we only got Mount becuase of Lampard if not he would have looked to play abroad again.

But Tomori, Mount and Wilson,players of the quality you are seeking, were all willing to play "at this level" so why not others? 

I get that Frank probably had an advantage getting players from Chelsea but, they are not the only option and it has been suggested Cocu has some pretty good connections as well.

21 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

TBF at the time of buying Johnson and Buterfield, most on here were more than happy. It's only after the event when folk started on about us having wasted millions. The extended contracts were weird but not what I was referring to.

Everyone was happy everywhere, look through the responses! ? 

Archived