I want a signing today!

3 hours ago, Jayram said:

We are proper skint aren’t we?

Skint? No. Restricted by FFP? Yes. The plan going forward is to avoid the FFP mess we got ourselves into following Clement's spell in charge. Using youths as squad fillers is much more sustainable than giving the likes of Butterfield and Anya over £20k per week.

The whole thing about bringing the academy players on is very laudable but in reality how many are really going to be good enough to get us promoted? 

Youths likely to be at least as squad players: Bogle, Lowe, Bird, Sibley, Knight, Bennett. Other youths may get the odd game here and there when we suffer from a few injuries/suspensions.

Bogle - almost ever present last season and was a serious contender for player of the season
Bennett - a useful squad player last season
Lowe and Bird - made a few apps each
Sibley and Knight - Knight appeared on the bench at the end of the season

Bogle kicking on from last season, Bennett being a more regular starter, Lowe and Bird rotating in for Malone and Huddlestone for 20 games, Sibley and Knight getting 10 games each, are all reasonable predictions

We are going to need to have the patience of saints because the squad as it stands is nowhere near good enough to challenge the top six. 

Didn't do Norwich much harm with Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey and Cantwell making the jump up from never playing a minute in the Championship before last season.

From last season, we've lost Tomori, Pearce, Cole, Johnson, Ledley, Mount, Bryson, King, Wilson and Nugent from those who came on the pitch.

Pearce, Ledley, and King hardly touched the ball so don't need to be replaced.

Cole replaced by Lowe, Bryson replaced by Shinnie, Mount replaced by Dowell and Nugent replaced by Martin... all are similar in ability.

That leaves us with Tomori, Johnson and Wilson. So, up to 3 more loans and we'll be on par with what we had last season. Evans and Davies at CB could cancel out the loss of Tomori. Bird and Thorne could step up to replace Johnson. Leaving the real difference being Jozefzoon and Bennett playing more regularly in place of Wilson. Both of which are team players so the team overall could improve as a result. There's plenty of time to sign players in these three positions anyway - I'll be very surprised if we don't sign at least one more player

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Leaving the real difference being Jozefzoon and Bennett playing more regularly in place of Wilson. Both of which are team players so the team overall could improve as a result

Lol 

I am actually starting to worry. we have lost our top goal scorer, are main midfield threat, 2 if you count BJ. and also one of our CBs.

last season when Mount or Wilson were absent the results were terrible. I am aware we have brought 2 in but shinnie for BJ and mounts replacement in my opinion are know where near what we require. 

I would trust Cocu and his coaching team to make the difference.

If you can’t bring in the players that will elevate the team, you want to bring in a coach that will.

I think Cocu fits the bill in that respect.

Personally I am calm over the lack of signings. If Cocu is as good as his record suggests, he will be the biggest arrival we will see and we will need all summer.

I think it’s way too soon to write us off in any case. After the Lampard saga, we are playing catch up where our transfer business is concerned, so naturally we need to be more patient than in ordinary circumstances, especially as logic dictates we have 3-4 key players to replace.

But we still have two weeks of the window left, and let’s not forget we have finished in the top six in four of the last six seasons, so what’s the use in panicking and doing the existing players in the group a disservice? We could be competitive as it is.

Cocu is taking his time and assessing everyone and everything and seeing who responds to his methods, who fits in with his ideals and what he can coax out of the existing group.

Some players could be transformed under Cocu and some young players could make their breakthrough under Cocu and it could end up feeling like we have ‘new signings’ after all.

4 hours ago, Jayram said:

We are proper skint aren’t we? The whole thing about bringing the academy players on is very laudable but in reality how many are really going to be good enough to get us promoted? 

We are going to need to have the patience of saints because the squad as it stands is nowhere near good enough to challenge the top six. 

Or maybe the manager just wants to have a good look at what he's already got before leaping lemming like into the transfer market abyss?

Revolutionary I know, but a stance not entirely without merit.

9 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Or maybe the manager just wants to have a good look at what he's already got before leaping lemming like into the transfer market abyss?

Revolutionary I know, but a stance not entirely without merit.

Wait...  you mean the manager doesn't actually think like a 12 year old boy?!

Look what Bielsa did at Leeds, he only really signed 3 key players in Klich, Harrison and Bamford. The big difference between Bielsa and the previous managers is that he improved players that had been at Leeds a season or 3 before. Cocu could come to Derby make 3 key signings and improve what we have and who is to say that we wont be better than last season and get promoted.

Cocu, all round is a better manager than Lampard and i believe that with him in charge we will be a much better side, not only individually but collectively.

Another day ticks by and sod all.

Are we going to get the sloppy seconds on deadline day? Looking really likely. The lack of names coming out is worrying, regardless of how quiet the club trys to keep it.

Perecy needs to tweet something, anything. Just link us to a new player FFS.

Poor old Mel really can't win can he? If our targets are made public we are accused of naivety and paying over the odds. If we keep our own counsel and try to do things professionally only buying at the right price and players we know will improve the squad, then folk get upset because we seem inactive or skint! The one loan signing made thus far looks spot on to me and we'd only need a couple more permanents or further loans to look seriously strong on paper. I think folk should remain calm as over two weeks remain and Cocu will know much more after the next couple of friendlies.

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

My Mum always says "People who say I want, don't get"...

Parents say a lot of things to avoid buying colourful trash for their offspring

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Skint? No. Restricted by FFP? Yes. The plan going forward is to avoid the FFP mess we got ourselves into following Clement's spell in charge. Using youths as squad fillers is much more sustainable than giving the likes of Butterfield and Anya over £20k per week.

Youths likely to be at least as squad players: Bogle, Lowe, Bird, Sibley, Knight, Bennett. Other youths may get the odd game here and there when we suffer from a few injuries/suspensions.

Bogle - almost ever present last season and was a serious contender for player of the season
Bennett - a useful squad player last season
Lowe and Bird - made a few apps each
Sibley and Knight - Knight appeared on the bench at the end of the season

Bogle kicking on from last season, Bennett being a more regular starter, Lowe and Bird rotating in for Malone and Huddlestone for 20 games, Sibley and Knight getting 10 games each, are all reasonable predictions

Didn't do Norwich much harm with Lewis, Aarons, Godfrey and Cantwell making the jump up from never playing a minute in the Championship before last season.

From last season, we've lost Tomori, Pearce, Cole, Johnson, Ledley, Mount, Bryson, King, Wilson and Nugent from those who came on the pitch.

Pearce, Ledley, and King hardly touched the ball so don't need to be replaced.

Cole replaced by Lowe, Bryson replaced by Shinnie, Mount replaced by Dowell and Nugent replaced by Martin... all are similar in ability.

That leaves us with Tomori, Johnson and Wilson. So, up to 3 more loans and we'll be on par with what we had last season. Evans and Davies at CB could cancel out the loss of Tomori. Bird and Thorne could step up to replace Johnson. Leaving the real difference being Jozefzoon and Bennett playing more regularly in place of Wilson. Both of which are team players so the team overall could improve as a result. There's plenty of time to sign players in these three positions anyway - I'll be very surprised if we don't sign at least one more player

Forget Thorne he is finished 

4 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

The club can't win. When we make loads of signings we are being irresponsible, when we make loads of loan signings we are blocking the pathway to the first team, when we decide to scale back and use loan signings we are skint and desperate.

Slightly misleading. The club will quite rightly gets accused of being irresponsible when we have in the past spunked millions of pounds on mediocre players on huge wages and massively extended contracts. 

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Slightly misleading. The club will quite rightly gets accused of being irresponsible when we have in the past spunked millions of pounds on mediocre players on huge wages and massively extended contracts. 

TBF at the time of buying Johnson and Buterfield, most on here were more than happy. It's only after the event when folk started on about us having wasted millions. The extended contracts were weird but not what I was referring to.

Archived