Lampard’s meeting with Morris / Chelsea

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Have you forgotten the last six games of the season?  The final day?  Leeds away?  If luck was a cake we had the biggest slice.

How on Earth did we fluke the final day? And if you consider it luck that we showed guts and pressed high to force Leeds’ defence into mistakes then I can’t win.

12 hours ago, Alpha said:

A review seems reasonable to me. 

The Chelsea stuff irritates and bores me to tears. All the transfer gossip does. It makes grown ups act weird. Right drama queens

But if he goes he goes. Hulse went and we survived!! Miracle!! 

I imagine it makes more sense that Frank has proven himself a bit. He's gone from wide eyed rookie to promising young manager. I'm sure there's some assurances he wants now he's earned his stripes.

Absoutely - Jody posted something on Twitter to say thx for the season and the whole thread descended into a 'please don't leave us' and 'is this goodbye' because he hadn't posted a copy of his prepaid 'leccy bill payments through to June 2056.

We should be happy that Frank is sitting down with Morris - he was very complimentary after the game yesterday, they obviously get on but we are currently short of two midfielders and a centre half even if we just think of the returning loans. Plus, neither of them should want to be standing still. I think they can have this conversation without either side quitting or firing the other. 

Manager and chairman meet to discuss strategy in time to pull together a cohesive summer programme. What would you rather, we all go to Benidorm for two months and then go buy the 2019 equivalents of Butterfield, Olsson, Johnson and Blackman on deadline day?

Lampard has structure and logic to his plan - cool your jets a bit and have some faith. He's at the wheel....

8 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Have you forgotten the last six games of the season?  The final day?  Leeds away?  If luck was a cake we had the biggest slice.

I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly. Are you saying we got lucky at Leeds and Bristol as well as at home to West Brom?

1 minute ago, BaaLocks said:

Absoutely - Jody posted something on Twitter to say thx for the season and the whole thread descended into a 'please don't leave us' and 'is this goodbye' because he hadn't posted a copy of his prepaid 'leccy bill payments through to June 2056.

We should be happy that Frank is sitting down with Morris - he was very complimentary after the game yesterday, they obviously get on but we are currently short of two midfielders and a centre half even if we just think of the returning loans. Plus, neither of them should want to be standing still. I think they can have this conversation without either side quitting or firing the other. 

Manager and chairman meet to discuss strategy in time to pull together a cohesive summer programme. What would you rather, we all go to Benidorm for two months and then go buy the 2019 equivalents of Butterfield, Olsson, Johnson and Blackman on deadline day?

Lampard has structure and logic to his plan - cool your jets a bit and have some faith. He's at the wheel....

Exactly. 

For a club that survived the sale of Rob Hulse and Kris Commons I would expect to see more resilience anyway. 

My view was that Frank was a bit annoyed/frustrated with Mel, FFP, whoever that we did our business very late in both transfer windows (which affected pre-season - a 'write-off' as he described it) so wants to know how much his hands are tied. It felt like a bit of a message to Mel to me.

If he doesn't get the reassurances, and I think he will, then I suspect he'll go or at least be very public that we're hamstrung by funds (FFP or just cash) so as not to damage his reputation. Frank has a big agency behind him and they'll be very clear in that Frank's brand value (which is considerable) is waaaaay more important than DCFC so they'll want to manage that very carefully. Frank will have the ultimate say of course but he'll be listening to them.

Not doubting Frank's morals at all - just a view based on having some experience of brand/reputation management, etc.

We fluked our first league title because we wouldn’t have won if it was 3 points for a win instead of 2.

We fluked our cup win 1946, we only won because so many of the country’s best players happened to be stationed in the East Midlands during the war.

We even fluked our establishment as one of the top clubs in Victorian England. We were a one-man team reliant on Bloomer’s goals and the fact he was injured in the 1903 Cup final was the main factor in us being thumped 6-0 by Bury. We were lucky that oil money wasn’t around then, he would’ve been snapped up.

My point is that luck will always go hand in hand with success. To suggest it is luck and luck only that we reached Wembley does a huge disservice to the people at the club who have worked very hard to be in a position where slices of luck count for something.

14 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Exactly. 

For a club that survived the sale of Rob Hulse and Kris Commons I would expect to see more resilience anyway. 

Close thing with Hulse though, we were close to seriously going under with that one. I remember the sense of relief the next time we scored, some genuinely believed it would never happen again.

Just now, BaaLocks said:

Close thing with Hulse though, we were close to seriously going under with that one. I remember the sense of relief the next time we scored, some genuinely believed it would never happen again.

Everyone also forgets the awkward moment we hastily accepted a gazillion pounds plus the Teeside Docks and then he told us he didn’t fancy it.

We were a weird club back then. Everything was so buymobilephones.net.

39 minutes ago, Duracell said:

We fluked our first league title because we wouldn’t have won if it was 3 points for a win instead of 2.

Wouldnt we? Who would have finished anove us if it was 3 points instead of 2? Us, Leeds and Liverpool all had 24 wins, but we drew one more game. Doesnt matter how mang points a wi  is does it?

9 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Wouldnt we? Who would have finished anove us if it was 3 points instead of 2? Us, Leeds and Liverpool all had 24 wins, but we drew one more game. Doesnt matter how mang points a wi  is does it?

Might’ve been the second title then? Not sure. I remember reading somewhere that  someone else would’ve won the league if it was 3 points for a win but you’re right, that wouldn’t have changed the outcome having had the same number of wins.

1 hour ago, BurtonRam7 said:

How on Earth did we fluke the final day? And if you consider it luck that we showed guts and pressed high to force Leeds’ defence into mistakes then I can’t win.

Don't you think it lucky that Holmes had to be subbed early so it meant Marriott got on early.

I will be gutted if frank leaves, the loss yesterday would Be nothing compared to losing frank. The loaness aside, we have a great nucleus of a side to rebuild and go again. We are losing most of the deadwood, this is the perfect opportunity for him to get his own players in. If he does leave we need to get Chris Hughton in asap. 

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Don't you think it lucky that Holmes had to be subbed early so it meant Marriott got on early.

There are always elements of chance. Football isn’t played on paper. But to suggest that we fluked our way to Wembley is downright absurd. 

TobyWanKenobi
14 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Considering Frank has admitted that there has been no contact from Chelsea, does anyone else find it bizarre that he’s meeting Mel about his future when he has 2 years left on his deal? I know it’s standard practice to organise and plan for the future after the final game w/ the chairman, but to specifically mention his future? 

This is just pure speculation, but is it possible that someone has mentioned to him there is a strong possibility he is going to be offered the Chelsea job? Jody Morris’ tweet after the game reads like a thank you & goodbye message to me 

Do you not have annual appraisals with the boss at your workplace?

3 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

There are always elements of chance. Football isn’t played on paper. But to suggest that we fluked our way to Wembley is downright absurd. 

And it’s disrespectful to the efforts of the team. We got to Wembley on merit. Everyone had written us off, yet we showed the resolve and ability to not only make the playoffs, but be within 90 minutes of the Premier League. 

Lucky? No. Deserved? Absolutely. 

1 hour ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Think this should put all the Franks leaving nonsense to bed.

FBEFF934-7055-4BE7-8D86-B2A9DCEAFA24.jpeg

Don’t see that it changes anything, Chelsea clearly haven’t come calling yet but if they do I expect him to walk. Not a single Derby fan could or should blame him either.

The quality of players he has at his disposal at Chelsea will undoubtedly mask his inexperience and maybe tactical naivety. The current ban may also give him time to shape it without too much pressure from above, nobody expects them to win anything if they can’t buy

Archived