Lampard’s meeting with Morris / Chelsea

6 minutes ago, TobyWanKenobi said:

Do you not have annual appraisals with the boss at your workplace?

If you read through the thread you’d understand that isn’t what I’m asking. It’s based on individual comments, that have been added too with deeper context about the club moving forward in his post match interview 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt Frank will be going anywhere. Chelsea is a romantic connection but since when do a club competing for a top 4 spot hire a manager with one season of second division football to his name in management? Yes we've had some great results such as Man Utd away, Southampton away, Rotherham home, bristol city away, leeds away etc. but we've had some shockers at rotherham away, bolton away etc.. The away form has been at best inconsistent throughout the season. Bristol was our first league away win in 2019 after-all. 

I'd be far more worried if a lower level prem club came sniffing around for him tbh. I was mightily relieved Brighton had their heart set on Potter as we'd have struggled to keep him if they came calling i think.  A move like that would allow him to show gradual progress and 2-3 good seasons and a cup run with a lower level prem team would open the door for a bigger club like chelsea if they're struggling for trophies. 

Imagine it's finalising contracts, budgets and targets. Who to release, if we should offer any new deals, signings based on varying budgets/aims. What FL wants and what MM is prepared to pony up.

Be shocked if Chelsea moved for him. 

Newcastle probably most likely Prem side now, a few others could be interested if a bit of job swapping occurs.

I think the first major test of our/his resolve will be part way into next season when someone makes a bad start.

I'd love FL to stay and I hope it gets sorted asap and the Chelsea thing doesn't drag on to long - we've got 3 of our top performers returning to their parent clubs and a lot of other players out of contract we need a manager to start assembling the squad for next season asap.

It would be extraordinary for Frank and Mel not to have a meeting before the summer break.

Frank is a winner and he will be hurting and he now has unfinished business with Derby. He will be desperate to take us up next year and will have learnt a huge amount from this season. All his loans have been a success so again we shall have the pick of players to come in, as well as more youth from our academy knocking on the door.

I do not believe Chelsea will be considering him at this time. He's not their type of candidate and it's a very tough ask to turn them around in the present circumstances. Frank has clearly enjoyed being the Derby manager and feels he has a bond with the city and the fans. He is a man of tremendous calibre and will want to see this thing through.

43 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

A years extension on Frank's contract as a guess.

I'm actually curious - did Frank sign a 2-year deal to begin with or a 3-year deal. I couldn't work out from the quotes if he has 2 years to run or it was 2-years total from his start date.

4 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I'm actually curious - did Frank sign a 2-year deal to begin with or a 3-year deal. I couldn't work out from the quotes if he has 2 years to run or it was 2-years total from his start date.

He referred to it as a 3 year deal before the play off and almost immediately after he started saying he has 2 years left.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

It would be extraordinary for Frank and Mel not to have a meeting before the summer break.

Frank is a winner and he will be hurting and he now has unfinished business with Derby. He will be desperate to take us up next year and will have learnt a huge amount from this season. All his loans have been a success so again we shall have the pick of players to come in, as well as more youth from our academy knocking on the door.

I do not believe Chelsea will be considering him at this time. He's not their type of candidate and it's a very tough ask to turn them around in the present circumstances. Frank has clearly enjoyed being the Derby manager and feels he has a bond with the city and the fans. He is a man of tremendous calibre and will want to see this thing through.

I agree and well said.

Lampard quoted today in the metro as saying ‘he loves working at Derby’ and his focus is on Derby and planning next season. In the original interview on Saturday he never said anything about his future but the media twisted it to crunch talks. Mel was also on talkSPORT this morning saying there was no contact from Chelsea and basically said he’s going nowhere. 

21 hours ago, Alpha said:

A review seems reasonable to me. 

The Chelsea stuff irritates and bores me to tears. All the transfer gossip does. It makes grown ups act weird. Right drama queens

My common sense says Chelsea don't go for Frank Lampard after 1 season managing Derby in the Championship. My eyes say all I've seen is journalist gossip and some fan hysteria. There's been nothing worth looking into. So until there is then it is tedious journalist nonsense like all the rest of the sensationalist balls.  

But if he goes he goes. Hulse went and we survived!! Miracle!! 

I imagine it makes more sense that Frank has proven himself a bit. He's gone from wide eyed rookie to promising young manager. I'm sure there's some assurances he wants now he's earned his stripes.

Yes spot on. Just to add, he is probably going to discuss transfer kitty with Mel. 

Archived