Lampard’s meeting with Morris / Chelsea

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing that pleases me most about the Talksport link above is:

"Derby County owner Mel Morris has told talkSPORT he has no plans to sell the club after their failure to win promotion to the Premier League."

I wasn't a Mel Morris fan originally, but he has grown on me. I'd now be devastated if he said he still planned to sell up and move on.

Mel needs some serious help with investment IMO. Saw Leeds being linked with the PSG ownership, Jammy sods.

We just need some oil tycoon or a super agent to kickstart us. MM needs to get on the blower to Jorge Mendes and bring in some gems

14 minutes ago, ck- said:

The thing that pleases me most about the Talksport link above is:

"Derby County owner Mel Morris has told talkSPORT he has no plans to sell the club after their failure to win promotion to the Premier League."

I wasn't a Mel Morris fan originally, but he has grown on me. I'd now be devastated if he said he still planned to sell up and move on.

TalkSPORT Breaking News: There's no news. 

That's basically what they've done. 

8 hours ago, randombc said:

With the lyrics ‘I’ve loved and I’ve lost’ - sounds rather cryptic.

Lampard is 1/4 to be next Chelsea manager....

Wonder what odds you’d get on him not being next Chelsea manager... honestly can’t see it happening. If we’d smashed the league then yeah, maybe, but as it stands I just don’t see it happening now. 

13 hours ago, Papahet said:

Mel needs some serious help with investment IMO. Saw Leeds being linked with the PSG ownership, Jammy sods.

We just need some oil tycoon or a super agent to kickstart us. MM needs to get on the blower to Jorge Mendes and bring in some gems

If we were ever taken over by somebody like that or City’s owners I’d probably see out my season ticket then spend my Saturday’s watching Heanor Town. No thanks. 

13 hours ago, Papahet said:

Why?. They've still got to live within FFP rules & maximum losses etc.

We've got a rich owner, who has sold the stadium to himself for £80m, just to give is some breathing space for FFP. I don't see why having even richer owners would help.

8 minutes ago, cannable said:

If we were ever taken over by somebody like that or City’s owners I’d probably see out my season ticket then spend my Saturday’s watching Heanor Town. No thanks. 

I'd probably have to adopt a Scottish team, not old firm. Possibly Hamilton or if I move out of Glasgow whatever the local club is.

On 28/05/2019 at 11:01, RaichCarter said:

My view was that Frank was a bit annoyed/frustrated with Mel, FFP, whoever that we did our business very late in both transfer windows (which affected pre-season - a 'write-off' as he described it) so wants to know how much his hands are tied. It felt like a bit of a message to Mel to me.

If he doesn't get the reassurances, and I think he will, then I suspect he'll go or at least be very public that we're hamstrung by funds (FFP or just cash) so as not to damage his reputation. Frank has a big agency behind him and they'll be very clear in that Frank's brand value (which is considerable) is waaaaay more important than DCFC so they'll want to manage that very carefully. Frank will have the ultimate say of course but he'll be listening to them.

Not doubting Frank's morals at all - just a view based on having some experience of brand/reputation management, etc.

Good post - there is so much more at play here than just "oh Frank loves Chelsea"

Also to consider is that Frank knows the importance of loyalty - 6 years at West Ham (his *actual* club if we're being picky) and then 13 years at Chelsea. He's always seemed totally genuine in his emotions about building bonds with Derby and their fans. Not saying this is any kind of proof that he won't go, but if he does then it wouldn't be very Lampard-esque

That said, I do see a tasty negotiation taking. He knows the division now (I don't think he expected it to be so tough) and he knows what he needs to get promoted. Likewise, Mel now knows how important Frank's personality is to success (imagine what our loan signings would have looked like under Rowett if he'd not gone to Stoke?!) so he's got a big decision to make. Back him or lose him

5 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Good post - there is so much more at play here than just "oh Frank loves Chelsea"

Also to consider is that Frank knows the importance of loyalty - 6 years at West Ham (his *actual* club if we're being picky) and then 13 years at Chelsea. He's always seemed totally genuine in his emotions about building bonds with Derby and their fans. Not saying this is any kind of proof that he won't go, but if he does then it wouldn't be very Lampard-esque

That said, I do see a tasty negotiation taking. He knows the division now (I don't think he expected it to be so tough) and he knows what he needs to get promoted. Likewise, Mel now knows how important Frank's personality is to success (imagine what our loan signings would have looked like under Rowett if he'd not gone to Stoke?!) so he's got a big decision to make. Back him or lose him

Pretty much how I see it ,,, frank will want to be in a position to compete and I reckon mel will move heaven and earth to give him as much room as poss as he is the right man for his vision of Derby as a club ,, hence the stadium sale and the Gibson blub up

11 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

And I expect Mel to back him to the maximum.

23 hours ago, rammieib said:

Problem is, now we all know the meeting was today, we're all desperate to know the outcome of said meeting.

Wouldn’t say I’m desperate, it’s an end of season meeting between owner and manager that takes place at most clubs where plans are put in place for the summer before they all go on holiday.

I feel like there’s some expectation of a “He’s staying” announcement like Leeds have just made with Bielsa, the difference being Lampard has a contract which doesn’t need any agreement to continue.

I understand there is some anxiety of his position with the constant speculation in the press, but the Chelsea links were to be expected from the day he signed and to quote the man himself, they are “obvious links”, it’s something we will just have to accept.

Maybe a poor analogy, but imagine being asked by your partner on a daily basis if you would leave them if a more attractive man/woman took an interest in you, soon get tedious right? No wonder he’s starting to show frustration when being asked, and I hope he isn’t chased around to comment on what is a normal meeting that does not need to be shared publicly.

Reporter: “Can you tell us Frank what was said in the meeting today?”

Frank: “Yeah sure, we’re going to give Chelsea a call to see if we can extend Tomori’s loan, Mel has also agreed to let me spend any money I can generate through sales plus £8m, ideally we want new contracts to be under 25k pw and include incentives for promotion. 

Reporter: “This is great stuff Frank, who will you be looking to sell this summer?”

Frank: “Well the out of contract players will all move on, I’ll be looking to get rid of Anya and Martin as well, Bogle we’re going to try and offer clubs around the £15m figure but we’ll probably drop to £12m with a sell on fee, just in case he goes to the top you know.”

Reporter: “Perfect, we’ll run this on Sky Sports News later tonight and feed a few bits to Talkshite as well, get them a few clicks”

Anyway, given what Mel and Frank have both said repeatedly over the last couple of weeks I just find it all a bit mind boggling, trying to decrypt and twist social media tweets and Instagram stories into OMG they are going, we even have topics on the forum now discussing his replacement! The suggestions of Jokanovic are even more worrying as they show a lack of understanding where this club is financially and why other clubs in this league have failed to land him.

We should be looking forward to entering a second full season with the same manager in charge, stability, something which has been called for by fans recently, yet we’re allowing ourselves wrapped up in the drama being used to fill gossip columns. I don’t get it. 

Sorry to use your post to clear my mind Rammie, not all aimed at you, was just the platform I needed to put my ugh’s into words.

FL hasn't done enough to deserve the Chelsea job yet. He hasn't had enough experience to tackle that job either. I'm sure he will want to take the job when he feels better equipped to make a success of it. Atm, it would be more likely to end in tears. 

Ideally, for him and Chelsea, he needs to get promotion and follow that with a decent season in the Premier league, before being appointed the manager. 

It wouldn't do us any harm, either. 

17 minutes ago, David said:

Wouldn’t say I’m desperate, it’s an end of season meeting between owner and manager that takes place at most clubs where plans are put in place for the summer before they all go on holiday.

I feel like there’s some expectation of a “He’s staying” announcement like Leeds have just made with Bielsa, the difference being Lampard has a contract which doesn’t need any agreement to continue.

I understand there is some anxiety of his position with the constant speculation in the press, but the Chelsea links were to be expected from the day he signed and to quote the man himself, they are “obvious links”, it’s something we will just have to accept.

Maybe a poor analogy, but imagine being asked by your partner on a daily basis if you would leave them if a more attractive man/woman took an interest in you, soon get tedious right? No wonder he’s starting to show frustration when being asked, and I hope he isn’t chased around to comment on what is a normal meeting that does not need to be shared publicly.

Reporter: “Can you tell us Frank what was said in the meeting today?”

Frank: “Yeah sure, we’re going to give Chelsea a call to see if we can extend Tomori’s loan, Mel has also agreed to let me spend any money I can generate through sales plus £8m, ideally we want new contracts to be under 25k pw and include incentives for promotion. 

Reporter: “This is great stuff Frank, who will you be looking to sell this summer?”

Frank: “Well the out of contract players will all move on, I’ll be looking to get rid of Anya and Martin as well, Bogle we’re going to try and offer clubs around the £15m figure but we’ll probably drop to £12m with a sell on fee, just in case he goes to the top you know.”

Reporter: “Perfect, we’ll run this on Sky Sports News later tonight and feed a few bits to Talkshite as well, get them a few clicks”

Anyway, given what Mel and Frank have both said repeatedly over the last couple of weeks I just find it all a bit mind boggling, trying to decrypt and twist social media tweets and Instagram stories into OMG they are going, we even have topics on the forum now discussing his replacement! The suggestions of Jokanovic are even more worrying as they show a lack of understanding where this club is financially and why other clubs in this league have failed to land him.

We should be looking forward to entering a second full season with the same manager in charge, stability, something which has been called for by fans recently, yet we’re allowing ourselves wrapped up in the drama being used to fill gossip columns. I don’t get it. 

Sorry to use your post to clear my mind Rammie, not all aimed at you, was just the platform I needed to put my ugh’s into words.

No issue at all - and your post is correct. My point was that there is so much talk going on at the moment, rumours everywhere, respected journalists giving different stories one day to the next (Percy) that only words from FL or MM hold any weight.

The reported meeting yesterday was so widely publicised that I think as fans we are looking for a clear statement from both stating that I am 100% here next season, regardless of whether any club approach me or not. Problem is, FL can't do that as I don't think he is 100%.

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

No issue at all - and your post is correct. My point was that there is so much talk going on at the moment, rumours everywhere, respected journalists giving different stories one day to the next (Percy) that only words from FL or MM hold any weight.

The reported meeting yesterday was so widely publicised that I think as fans we are looking for a clear statement from both stating that I am 100% here next season, regardless of whether any club approach me or not. Problem is, FL can't do that as I don't think he is 100%.

On 28/05/2019 at 10:37, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Think this should put all the Franks leaving nonsense to bed.

FBEFF934-7055-4BE7-8D86-B2A9DCEAFA24.jpeg

Interesting that he quotes we only have a squad of 13 when you consider we know these will be there barring being sold:-

Carson, Bogle, Wisdom, Malone, Forsyth, Lowe, Keogh, Evans, Davies, Shinnie, Holmes, Lawrence, Jozefzoon, Bennett, Huddlestone, Marriott, Waghorn.

Add to that the younger lades that have played or featured in squad: Thomas, Bird, MacDonald, Knight, Sibley, Ravas, Tyree Wilson, Elsnik, Mitchell-Lawson, McAllister, Jonathan Mitchell.

Then the exciles: Thorne, Martin, Anya.

Hopefully, he is just getting into a good negotiating position with Mel, to argue for more experience.

For me we need to strengthen Keeper, a CB, Two in midfield and wingers (depending on formation)

Archived