Interesting summer ahead

Igorwasking

1 minute ago, peachmyster said:

Hope Bennett is on the released list as well 

Why? Because he wasn't amazing today? Have a day off. Bennett has saved us multiple times this season, give him some respect. He played a huge part in the win at Ashton Gate, our win vs West Brom at pride park, and our opening day win vs Reading just off the top of my head, I'm sure there is more too. Stop being ducking fickle.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Why? Because he wasn't amazing today? Have a day off. Bennett has saved us multiple times this season, give him some respect. He played a huge part in the win at Ashton Gate, our win vs West Brom at pride park, and our opening day win vs Reading just off the top of my head, I'm sure there is more too. Stop being ducking fickle.

His goal v Wigwam was quite decent ?

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If Marriott goes elsewhere he will bang in goals and every single goal will annoy me. He's a natural and we are wasting him on the bench.

Contentious and maybe won’t work but I’d like pre season to at least see a up front pairing of Waghorn and Marriott, we could even rip most defences in the league with the right support. It will depend on formation though.

5 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Contentious and maybe won’t work but I’d like pre season to at least see a up front pairing of Waghorn and Marriott, we could even rip most defences in the league with the right support. It will depend on formation though.

I’ve never really fallen in love with pure 433. A central striker needs a foil. Yeah yeah .. holding striker bringing runners in blah blah master tacticians that we all are. Front 2 .. it’s ronseal, but then I’m old so maybe it won’t work. Still,  Puskas and Di Stephano, Keegan Toshack, Cole and Yorke. Rebrov and Shevchenko. Ther’s truth in them thar legends. 

When do we think the retained list will be out? Start of next week or later this week?

Be interesting to see if Johnson gets a new contract. He’s been good in his latest stint in the team, but can’t help but think that he will dip as soon as he’s got a contract.

Roos can go for me. Whilst yes he has had a few good games in the run in, he’s not one for the future.

Up the Rams!

7 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Love to see Waghorn and Marriott up front next season but they’ll need service and more importantly Frank and jack have to sort out there differences ?

hi all

I posted on this a while ago (IF IF IF etc), and we now know where we'll be, so time for some tough decisions.

A plan based on:

(i) bringing the current U18s through 

(ii) trying to retain the brightest of the current team

(iii) not extending the contract of anyone over 30 

(iv) a few new signings BUT quality not quantity

might just get us there.

So let's ask the questions, there are people on here who more up with things in the Academy who can tell us more I'm sure.

Who from the U18s can follow Bogle into the 1st team?

Who can/should we realistically retain?  I'd love to get the 3 Ramateers (Tomori/Wilson/Mount) on loan again, but can it be done?  Is Roos really good enough at this level?  Is Josefzoon?  Is it time for Keogh/Hudds/Brad/Bryson etc to move on when their contracts expire?  Should FL and Marriott bury the hatchet, start again and put whatever crap there is between them to bed once and for all?  If they can do that, then to have Marriott starting regularly would almost be like having a new signing, certainly he was the reason that we got to Wembley anyway.

Who will go and who should go?  Have the senior players now had their day?  Is it time for Keogh/Hudds/Brad/Bryson etc to move on when their contracts expire?

Who can/should we sign?  Do we have the scouting system in place to deliver a genuine bargain from abroad &/or from the lower leagues?  If we have say £10 mil to spend why not get 1 or 2 real contenders for that money rather than (as we often seem to do) spending it on 6-8 players who often don't really improve things?  Can FL pull some more wonder loans out of the bag?

And finally, should Mel offer FL a new 2-3 year contract or an extension?  Yes he got some things wrong sometimes, but he's learning all the time and he really does seem to be committed, well as far as anyone ever can be in football anyway.

The real concern this season was not that we fell at the final fence.  We lost by 1 goal to a team with much more dosh than us thanks to PL parachute payments, and we competed OK against the top Championship teams and against PL teams in the cups.  The real issue to look at is how to go from scraping into 6th place after a very patchy season to being genuine top 3 contenders.  I don't think that any of the relegated teams will be in a position to bounce back, so 2019-20 presents a great opportunity to do just that, with the 3 promoted teams (all with huge support etc) being replaced by 3 much smaller ones.  

LR2

I do hope that Frank stays and is brave. We need a spine with more quality than Roos, Johnson, Bryson or Huddlestone. We need to retain the loanees (head says that's unlikely except for Tomori) and/or supplement the squad with similarity successful replacements. I do hope this can be done by a combination of promoting youngsters e.g. Sibley, Thomas, Bird, MacDonald et al plus some inspired loanees. I would like to see permanent signings of a goalkeeper and young centre half as priority, having already got Shinnie as DCM and future Captain.

Lawrence had a brilliant run in, for me. He looked like the player who single handedly kept Ipswich up. 

I think Wilson is replaceable. It’ll be tough but I think there’ll be other forwards like him in premier league under 23s. 

Tomori I hope decides he wants another year in this physically demanding league so that when he makes the step up the premier league he won’t be bullied by any strikers. 

The key to next season is working out how to create space when we don’t have a single player (Mount) being marked by two of their players.  

Frank also needs to go back to the chalkboard and look at how we can improve as we’re losing one of the best players to ever have played in this division and can’t rely on that level of quality from one player next year. He needs to think tactically about how he’ll move us forwards because he’s intelligent enough to adapt. This season showed that he has the inter personal and motivational skills to manage. Let’s see how the tactical side progresses! 

1 hour ago, LondonRam2 said:

Who from the U18s can follow Bogle into the 1st team?

This is the exciting thing for me. We all know there's a laundry list of players out of contract that need to move on, and there's the odd couple in contract I wouldn't mind seeing leave either, we know we have signed Shinnie and there will be others to follow. However, there's bound to be another Bogle coming, and also more that will be making the bench. That's really exciting for me.

So we have Luke Thomas returning from Coventry. Frank rated him highly last Summer and I expect him to heavily involved all pre-seaosn and likely will stay in the first team squad next year.

Jayden Mitchell-Lawson, Callum MacDonald and Jason Knight all made the bench, with the former coming on for his debut and actually impacting the game. So I would see those as prime candidates.

Louie Sibley has to be close too, he is a gem of a prospect and it would only be fair to mention Morgan Whittaker having scored the shed load he did this season.

Last but not least, Max Bird will be competing for a midfield spot next season, I'm sure of it.

5 hours ago, Andicis said:

Ludicrous, you're a joke. He's easily good enough for the Championship, he just isn't a lone striker.

Looked better out wide after Marriott came on, but did a decent enough job at battling Mings.

Just hadn't got the finishing that JM or MW have.

Very interesting for next season 

I am sure we will need to sell if we can and for me who will attract bids? 

I would sell Lawrence while he has a value 

I would sell Huddlestone if we could for no nasty reason apart from the fact that he just isn’t mobile enough for the other players 

Marriott- will attract bids but he scores goals and that is vital - so it’s a stupid offer or find a way for lampard and Marriott to get him in the team fit and playing well.

bogle - of course we want to keep him but if a stupid bid comes in and that we need to use the money for development 

We need to judge youngsters on there performances in professional football not some kids league to put it bleakly. Unless a player coming through is a Will Hughes or Bogle etc. they should go on loan to a league club like Thomas and show what they can do on the big stage.

Need some good players in the squad next season we will probably sell Bogle but i hope he goes for the right price not a Hughes deal! Kelly at Bristol went for 13M, Bogle is worth the same if not more 15M!

22 hours ago, Igorwasking said:

So - the boys done good this season, but fell agonisingly short - still plenty to look forward to.

Hopefully Frankie stays. Hopefully, with the decks somewhat naturally cleared, new hero’s will be on their way. Hopefully, having been so close for so many years, next year is our season. Hopefully.

Oh - and I saw B4 on Sky Sports News - so - not all doom and gloom! ???

B4 on Sky Sprouts .......What a guy!?

15 hours ago, Andicis said:

Ludicrous, you're a joke. He's easily good enough for the Championship, he just isn't a lone striker.

I agree, Bennett, Waghorn or Marriott, any pair of these up top would trouble any team in the champ. No need for signings up front in my opinion.

Archived