Interesting summer ahead

Igorwasking

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Without being harsh on our strike force I'd say I'm not sure Waghorn has it to be a top scorer, Marriott might, Bennett no chance. So, just as a wild shot, why not a speculative punt to bring Vydra back?

Why can't he? Towards the end he was starting to score plenty and be instrumental in our play too. Vydra's a goal scorer. He's also absolutely naff in the wrong system, and he needs the game to flow around him. I don't think he's worth the value to bring him back, as well as having to completely focus our formation to fit around him. Our strike force currently, in my mind, is good enough. Waghorn and Marriott are dangerous, and Bennett pops up too, Vydra would be an expensive gamble.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Why can't he? Towards the end he was starting to score plenty and be instrumental in our play too. Vydra's a goal scorer. He's also absolutely naff in the wrong system, and he needs the game to flow around him. I don't think he's worth the value to bring him back, as well as having to completely focus our formation to fit around him. Our strike force currently, in my mind, is good enough. Waghorn and Marriott are dangerous, and Bennett pops up too, Vydra would be an expensive gamble.

As mentioned in the summer signing suggestions thread. James Norwood whos out of contract at Tranmere scored 32 goals to help them to promotion via the play offs is worth a shout. 

Ipswich may already have a deal in place (according to local media here in Suffolk). Looks a similar player to Marriott from what I've seen of him but could be a decent signing to replace Nugent.

3 minutes ago, Franks Tanked said:

As mentioned in the summer signing suggestions thread. James Norwood whos out of contract at Tranmere scored 32 goals to help them to promotion via the play offs is worth a shout. 

Ipswich may already have a deal in place (according to local media here in Suffolk). Looks a similar player to Marriott from what I've seen of him but could be a decent signing to replace Nugent.

Have to say, I'm not overly keen. 28, never been out of the lower leagues, and he didn't catch my eye when I was watching the league 2 playoff final. Considering most of his career was at a level below league 2, certainly doesn't seem close to better or level with what we have now.

13 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I'm not bagging on Waghorn but he's only got 20 goals once - that for Rangers in their Championship. He's just not a prolific goal scorer who we can rely on for 20+. I'm not starting up the 'bring back Vydra' campaign but he is the only Derby player to get more than twenty goals since at least 1996 and the broader point I was making is that we need a 20+ striker to get up, or at least nearly every other team has. I personally think Marriott can be that striker, but he's going to have to get the games to do it.

10 minutes ago, Franks Tanked said:

Like you said, gone to Ipswich. He's 28 and outside this season has only been a one in four striker, never playing above league two. Even Tranmere fans couldn't work out what was going on. The Liam Dickinson of his time.

8 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I'm not bagging on Waghorn but he's only got 20 goals once - that for Rangers in their Championship. He's just not a prolific goal scorer who we can rely on for 20+. I'm not starting up the 'bring back Vydra' campaign but he is the only Derby player to get more than twenty goals since at least 1996 and the broader point I was making is that we need a 20+ striker to get up, or at least nearly every other team has. I personally think Marriott can be that striker, but he's going to have to get the games to do it.

Chris Martin got 25 in 13/14 and 21 in 14/15 in all competitions. Plus 6 of Vydra's goals were penalties, and Martin wasn't even our principle penalty taker.

15 minutes ago, LittleEatonRam said:

Chris Martin got 25 in 13/14 and 21 in 14/15 in all competitions. Plus 6 of Vydra's goals were penalties, and Martin wasn't even our principle penalty taker.

Fair catch, I meant league goals - Martin never got more than 20 league goals in a season. Penalties count btw, at least last time I looked.

24 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Fair catch, I meant league goals - Martin never got more than 20 league goals in a season. Penalties count btw, at least last time I looked.

Fair enough, Vydra got one more league goal than Martin did in 13/14. And penalties of course count, but they're a free shot at goal.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Have to say, I'm not overly keen. 28, never been out of the lower leagues, and he didn't catch my eye when I was watching the league 2 playoff final. Considering most of his career was at a level below league 2, certainly doesn't seem close to better or level with what we have now.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

Like you said, gone to Ipswich. He's 28 and outside this season has only been a one in four striker, never playing above league two. Even Tranmere fans couldn't work out what was going on. The Liam Dickinson of his time.

Well we have to cut our cloth accordingly and 32 goals in league 2 isn't to be sniffed at on a free. Just because hes not high profile (like Nugent) doesn't mean he's awful or can't cut it at a higher level. He's 28, and could be just in his prime. 

Steve Howard was from lower leagues  and no spring chicken and turned out to be a decent signing. 

P.s. I wanted to use 'the next Vardy' line, but that may have stirred more nests.?

Think Waggy is being under-rated in here. Same goals and assists as Marriott after playing a couple of 90 minutes more, yet how many of Waghorn's minutes were out stuck on the right wing?

Marriott knows where the net is but Waghorn is a far better player currently IMO. 

On 27/05/2019 at 19:26, Cam the Ram said:

Think I agree with you there, which is such a shame because they're both brilliant. If it's Marriott who leaves, I don't think he's done/played enough to encourage any Prem teams to entrust him with being their main striker, so he'd probably end up going to a fellow Championship club. And it's never a good idea to strengthen a rival, particularly with a striker who guarantees you goals 

Just because Frank doesnt start with Marriott is not a sign that he wants rid.I believe Marriott is looked upon as a  impact player and will   be a valuable part of Franks squad for next year.

13 minutes ago, Franks Tanked said:

P.s. I wanted to use 'the next Vardy' line, but that may have stirred more nests.?

Or the next Roger Davies - can you imagine, today, the league leaders signing some chap from Worcester City after he's played only ten games?

11 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Think Waggy is being under-rated in here. Same goals and assists as Marriott after playing a couple of 90 minutes more, yet how many of Waghorn's minutes were out stuck on the right wing?

Marriott knows where the net is but Waghorn is a far better player currently IMO. 

Not me, I think he's great but I also think he's more Emile Heskey than Michael Owen in that he is best scoring a good few but also providing a good few more. I mean that as a genuine compliment - he's not just goals.

On 28/05/2019 at 19:14, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

I agree, Bennett, Waghorn or Marriott, any pair of these up top would trouble any team in the champ. No need for signings up front in my opinion.

Completely right a club needs at least 3 strikers so why sell the 3 strikers who have got us to the play off final

19 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

As soon as Mount came back waghorn turned into a pretty elite level championship striker all round at the back end of last season. You wouldn’t get much better than he was playing In this league imo, Marriott may be the future but he’s gotta get past waghorn yet. Be interesting to see if Martyn can continue his form, we need to properly replace mount if he’s going to. 

1 hour ago, Franks Tanked said:

Well we have to cut our cloth accordingly and 32 goals in league 2 isn't to be sniffed at on a free. Just because hes not high profile (like Nugent) doesn't mean he's awful or can't cut it at a higher level. He's 28, and could be just in his prime. 

Steve Howard was from lower leagues  and no spring chicken and turned out to be a decent signing. 

Why do we? We already have a good strike force, why do we need to replace Nugent? We have 3 strikers better than that guy already, and just by eye test from the playoff final he was poor and looked out of shape.

1 hour ago, Franks Tanked said:

We signed Howard after he scored 15 in 45 for Championship side Luton

Archived