Interesting summer ahead

Igorwasking

So - the boys done good this season, but fell agonisingly short - still plenty to look forward to.

Hopefully Frankie stays. Hopefully, with the decks somewhat naturally cleared, new hero’s will be on their way. Hopefully, having been so close for so many years, next year is our season. Hopefully.

Oh - and I saw B4 on Sky Sports News - so - not all doom and gloom! ???

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Next interesting thing will be the released players list. Maybe by the end of the week. 

No surprises on that list - Butterfield, Blackman, Johnson, Pearce, Roos, Nugent, Bryson, Cole, Ambrose, Roos, Olsson, Elsnik

are you expecting anything different?

Either Johnson fits in this system or he is playing for a new contract but, since he returned from his ban, he has been a man reborn.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Roos or Bryson go, with our best wishes.

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

One of Lampard or Marriott will be gone, I reckon. 

Think I agree with you there, which is such a shame because they're both brilliant. If it's Marriott who leaves, I don't think he's done/played enough to encourage any Prem teams to entrust him with being their main striker, so he'd probably end up going to a fellow Championship club. And it's never a good idea to strengthen a rival, particularly with a striker who guarantees you goals 

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

Think I agree with you there, which is such a shame because they're both brilliant. If it's Marriott who leaves, I don't think he's done/played enough to encourage any Prem teams to entrust him with being their main striker, so he'd probably end up going to a fellow Championship club. And it's never a good idea to strengthen a rival, particularly with a striker who guarantees you goals 

Totally agree...but I don't think it'll be him that goes.

47 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

One of Lampard or Marriott will be gone, I reckon. 

I was thinking something along those lines. Marriott is a goal machine, not just some sort of impact sub. Other clubs will have taken note... 

Frank will get offers. So depends how his forthcoming chat with Mel goes. If the transfer kitty looks bleak, Frank might be tempted elsewhere. 

49 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Which one would you choose?

Taking the objective view, I'd pick Marriott. Finding a striker at our level with his instinct and ability is extremely rare.

Lampard has done a decent job and we all want consistency but I can think of managers I'd be open to having when he leaves.  I can't say I can think of someone we can attract with the same qualities as Marriott

Weirdly I’m nowhere near as devastated as I was after QPR. Partly due to the fact we were well beat by 60 rather than it being last minute, but also cause going into that game I never really expected us to win. Went pretty much exactly as I thought. Maybe the number of playoff losses have hardened me to it. But I’m 2014 we were relentless, we were winning 6/7 on the spin and I truly believed we were at that level good enough to get up. The loss against the run of play hurt unbelievabley, whereas today we were beat by a team with consistency a level above ours. We weren’t at the level good enough to go up at any point this season imo, the squad wasn’t consistent enough to put runs together and thus really we achieved all I was expecting. So I suppose there’s less doom and gloom there cause what were we really all expecting going into the match? Only thing Is, when will we ever build a squad that IS at that level, that level that is good enough to get up? Cause we’ve had too many teams that just aren’t relentless enough recently and we can’t seem to get it right to do a Norwich etc.

With regards to the summer it’s going to be the biggest in a long Time. Imo frank will leave somewhere regardless, fairly certain we’ll have a new man in the dugout first game of the season. Pretty neutral on that regard tbh, franks done a decent job so I’d be happy for him to continue the project- but equally if we get a load of cash For him there’s plenty of managers who are less naive who could do as good if not better jobs.

A lot will rest on the ownership situation as well. We need a huge number of incomings and possibly further changes with more outgoings too. And we need to make sure these are quality as well. I personally think Mel will sell part his stake so will be interesting if whoever comes in gives a significant cash injection so we can bring in some serious quality that can take us to that next level to really compete. We should have a bit of FFP leeway with the stadium sale so investment is possible and may draw in those from China etc.

All In all its going to busy and could go many ways. Suspect we’ll know more about our direction in the next couple of weeks, in terms of management and owners. 

33 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

Taking the objective view, I'd pick Marriott. Finding a striker at our level with his instinct and ability is extremely rare.

Lampard has done a decent job and we all want consistency but I can think of managers I'd be open to having when he leaves.  I can't say I can think of someone we can attract with the same qualities as Marriott

Must keep Marriott for sure!

Huge amount of contracts running out, so we'll need to sign plenty of players this summer. I'd love to see us push Sibley through the ranks to challenge for a midfield place. It's going to feel like a long summer, and our players might have a bit of a hangover from this loss.

Archived