Tom Lawrence

Big Trav

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Unfortunately i think its the majority who have reservations or doubts, but that is primarily because he seems ill suited to playing wide left.

ipswich played him more centrally i think.

image.jpg.c6035b0ce416c6c176f4313d2276b888.jpg

Ipswich did play him as a more central attacking player if they went with a 5-3-2 or 4-4-1-1, the latter with Tom as the second striker, but he mostly played as a left-winger in a 4-3-3 even back then. I'd say about 2/3 of their games they played him out wide and 1/3 with him more central, but he had a good return in both positions.

2 hours ago, Derbyram1 said:

just the minority that dislike him. Met him several times after matches and he’s a great lad and has swarms of fans round him that appreciate him and what he offers.

Did anyone say they dislike him or he wasn't a great bloke or were people just commenting on what they thought of his performances this season ? 

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

It must be pretty soul destroying to read a thread like this if you're a player.

That's probably why i feel some sympathy for him.

Hopefully, they have more sense than to read the opinions. One week a player is the dog's balls the following, the worst player in history.

(Got to love the swear filter!)

20 minutes ago, KCG said:

Hopefully, they have more sense than to read the opinions. One week a player is the dog's balls the following, the worst player in history.

(Got to love the swear filter!)

They should filter out the words “worst” and “history” when they appear in the same sentence!

1 hour ago, Mick Brolly said:

Did anyone say they dislike him or he wasn't a great bloke or were people just commenting on what they thought of his performances this season ? 

read through the many Tom Lawrence threads and you’ll these words and others no doubt.

such a toxic fan base.

47 minutes ago, Derbyram1 said:

read through the many Tom Lawrence threads and you’ll these words and others no doubt.

such a toxic fan base.

Such a load of balls.

Read through any players thread and they'll be support, sniping and everything in between.

If I was Tom, I'd take heart at the people who keep making excuses for my poor performance, while being determined to stuff the critics words down their throats!

If you can't express an opinion in a thread named after said player, designed to discuss the merits of said player, where can you?

That's not toxic, it's the one of the reasons this forum exists!

I'll admit I dismissed him as poo earlier in the thread, which was generic and unfair, so let me elaborate.

His passing is poo, his attempts to beat his man are poo, his shooting is poo, his strength in a challenge is poo, therefore I find his entire contribution poo.

If Tom is reading this and feels down, worry not Tom.

You're being criticized by a cat funt who's never played the game at anything approaching your level, who has finished paying my taxes 50 weeks before you, and has a least one chin to lend you should your lack of one hold you back!

In his breakout season for Ipswich, Lawrence seemed to be a weekly highlight reel, driving at opposition with the ball, taking his man on then shooting from range. He would do this 4-10 times a match, and create a few goals voting opportunities. 

With us, he doesn’t do it. I’m not sure if it’s instructions or a lack of confidence, but I’d like to see him do it again. Take his full back on, and even cut inside and take the CB on. 1-on-1, he must have the skill and pace to beat a defender. It’s then up I him to either pick the right pass or have a shot. I know many question his ability to play the right ball, but by putting himself in positions with the ball at his feet in the opponents final 3rd will only Leo him improve

Well I guess I'm one of the perennially deluded / blind / thick / know-nothing, happy-clappers who thinks there's a player in there. Always find it hard to fathom why opinions are so polarised on here. Nobody seems to be average, they're either future England or (insert country) internationals or poo, with almost no middle-ground. Jayden Bogle anyone? Some of the derisive shizzle churned out about a lad barely 18 and in his 1st season in the senior squad was pretty unpalatable and if folk are unable to take that on board, I'd politely suggest they need to take a look at themselves. He's answered his critics in the best possible way and now some of the same critics are shouting that we need £10 to £15 million to let him go. 'Toxic' probably not. Fickle as fook? Definitely

Back on Tom, in fairness to his detractors, he has not kicked on this season the way us deluded folk thought he might but the issue he has is that he is simply not a winger. Never has been, never will be. The Vydra comparisons are not so outlandish as Vyds was also half the player, if that, when played away from his preferred position. I also think that like Vyds, he's a confidence player and could easily spark if he could get a run of games played centrally but then I'm just making excuses for him I guess!

Either way, he'll probably not get the opportunity as long as Waggy and Jack are on the books so perhaps we should look to see whether he can be moved on and then bring in an out-and-out winger to replace him. It would give us better balance and Tom'd not have to put up with being labelled poo every week, even when he's just put a fair performance in. 

5 hours ago, 86 points said:

Well I guess I'm one of the perennially deluded / blind / thick / know-nothing, happy-clappers who thinks there's a player in there. Always find it hard to fathom why opinions are so polarised on here. Nobody seems to be average, they're either future England or (insert country) internationals or poo, with almost no middle-ground. Jayden Bogle anyone? Some of the derisive shizzle churned out about a lad barely 18 and in his 1st season in the senior squad was pretty unpalatable and if folk are unable to take that on board, I'd politely suggest they need to take a look at themselves. He's answered his critics in the best possible way and now some of the same critics are shouting that we need £10 to £15 million to let him go. 'Toxic' probably not. Fickle as fook? Definitely

Back on Tom, in fairness to his detractors, he has not kicked on this season the way us deluded folk thought he might but the issue he has is that he is simply not a winger. Never has been, never will be. The Vydra comparisons are not so outlandish as Vyds was also half the player, if that, when played away from his preferred position. I also think that like Vyds, he's a confidence player and could easily spark if he could get a run of games played centrally but then I'm just making excuses for him I guess!

Either way, he'll probably not get the opportunity as long as Waggy and Jack are on the books so perhaps we should look to see whether he can be moved on and then bring in an out-and-out winger to replace him. It would give us better balance and Tom'd not have to put up with being labelled poo every week, even when he's just put a fair performance in. 

Bogle - to build on what you were saying. He only played a handful of games at U23 level last season as well. He pretty much jumped straight from the U18s to our first team squad!

On 20/04/2019 at 20:48, reveldevil said:

He's spent years playing it, I've spent years watching it. 

Put like that, I'd say I've got more rounded knowledge, tbf.

If I follow your logic then someone would be a better F1  driver than Lewis Hamilton if although they had never sat in an F1 car they had watched plenty of races.

8 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Such a load of balls.

Read through any players thread and they'll be support, sniping and everything in between.

If I was Tom, I'd take heart at the people who keep making excuses for my poor performance, while being determined to stuff the critics words down their throats!

If you can't express an opinion in a thread named after said player, designed to discuss the merits of said player, where can you?

That's not toxic, it's the one of the reasons this forum exists!

I'll admit I dismissed him as poo earlier in the thread, which was generic and unfair, so let me elaborate.

His passing is poo, his attempts to beat his man are poo, his shooting is poo, his strength in a challenge is poo, therefore I find his entire contribution poo.

If Tom is reading this and feels down, worry not Tom.

You're being criticized by a cat funt who's never played the game at anything approaching your level, who has finished paying my taxes 50 weeks before you, and has a least one chin to lend you should your lack of one hold you back!

If calling one of your own players poo is helpful in any way then you go for it, I bet you were cheering when he single handily beat Southampton at pride park or did u sit there moaning?!

The end part of your post was good/funny and fair play to that....

22 hours ago, Sparkle said:

If we miss out on the play offs which is probably 60-40 probability at the moment imho it will be because we have had crucial injuries to the likes of Davies and Forsyth and we have had some shocking denial of penalties which has potentially cost us a lot of points and also we have left ourselves short of centre forward cover because Nugent wasn’t good enough anymore and we all knew that by Christmas 2017 

Lawrence is one of those marmite players and in the championship you cannot carry more than two players doing nothing in a game and at times we have been doing exactly that 

Absolute nonsense, even without those players we have had ample amount of games where we should have won or had players on the pitch that were far superior to those we faced o bathe opposite side. 

We have dropped far too many points because we just didn’t get going, Blackburn away a great recent example, Brentford away too. Certain players have bottled it, Lawrence is one of them, if Keogh could bottle some of what he has Lawrence could be a player. 

As for denial of penalties we should have had some given we should have had some given against us too. 

We are not good enough over a five to eight game period never mind a season. 

And finally Lampard has to take some blame, he has shown himself at times to be poor in terms of his tactics, we have the best striker at the club sat on the bench in need of a goal and I think we could have had him in a position where he would be flying right now going into this crucial period 

9 hours ago, r4derby said:

In his breakout season for Ipswich, Lawrence seemed to be a weekly highlight reel, driving at opposition with the ball, taking his man on then shooting from range. He would do this 4-10 times a match, and create a few goals voting opportunities. 

With us, he doesn’t do it. I’m not sure if it’s instructions or a lack of confidence, but I’d like to see him do it again. Take his full back on, and even cut inside and take the CB on. 1-on-1, he must have the skill and pace to beat a defender. It’s then up I him to either pick the right pass or have a shot. I know many question his ability to play the right ball, but by putting himself in positions with the ball at his feet in the opponents final 3rd will only Leo him improve

I often think the reason he looked so good at Ipswich is that they were a team perennially under the cosh, so when the ball broke up to Lawrence he'd got the freedom of the pitch to play in.

Same with his goals against Southampton - space and time.

Compare that with Birmingham on Saturday, a congested half due to slow build up play, and being marked by two players every time he got the ball. 

I still think he did better than Wilson on Saturday, though. And I was appalled when our fans were cheering his substitution -what on earth does that do to a player's confidence? 

Lawrence is inconsistent, and drifts in and out of games but don't all wingers? We used to say the same about Russell when he was here. Even our other Tom Ince, who really is a prince amongst wingers at this level with his productivity, got slagged off at every opportunity while he was here.

If you're reading this, Tom, don't worry about it, just enjoy your football and ignore the haters. When they drive you away and you start performing at the top of your ability for another club they'll tell us they always rated you! 

12 minutes ago, Derbyram1 said:

Was Lawrence booed when he went off against Brum?! Not sure I heard that??

I think the Brum fans booed all of our's off and all of the replacements coming on, or at least it sounded like that on the stream

Yes our players get too much abuse.

but,

They are paid large amounts of money to perform and Lawrence is a prime example of the under achievers in our squad.

I also think Wilson offers nothing away from a dead ball so the absence of Mount showed up our poor midfield.

i think part of the problem in the fans eyes is the way he struts around the pitch especially on free kicks but doesn’t get stuck in like everybody should.

i’m no fan of his (give me Russell anytime) but we should be backing the players at this key stage of the season and Frank can decide on his fate in the summer.

Archived