Tom Lawrence

Big Trav

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Throughout the season I’ve been one of his biggest critics. Not because I’m a wrist slasher, or someone with a ‘Keogh-esque’ dislike for one of our own! No, purely because - like any fan who knows a bit about the game - it’s obvious the lad has talent. Lots of it. Boy did he show it today! 

So the question for discussion is this: why doesn’t he show this kind of form on a more regular basis? He’s not that young that we can make youth a big reason, such as in explaining Bogle’s mid season dip, or Wilson’s recently less than convincing all round displays. I think some of the criticism of him has been unfair.. those who brand him lazy obviously aren’t noticing the tracking back and work off the ball he does!

But when you see him run at defenders the way did today, it begs the question why he doesn’t do it more often? Frank clearly knows what a talent he is and has steadfastly stuck by Tom when others - including myself - have questioned his desire, commitment and deserving of a  regular place in the side.

So what is required to make our Tom play more like he did today more often? Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, ramtique said:

Throughout the season I’ve been one of his biggest critics. Not because I’m a wrist slasher, or someone with a ‘Keogh-esque’ dislike for one of our own! No, purely because - like any fan who knows a bit about the game - it’s obvious the lad has talent. Lots of it. Boy did he show it today! 

So the question for discussion is this: why doesn’t he show this kind of form on a more regular basis? He’s not that young that we can make youth a big reason, such as in explaining Bogle’s mid season dip, or Wilson’s recently less than convincing all round displays. I think some of the criticism of him has been unfair.. those who brand him lazy obviously aren’t noticing the tracking back and work off the ball he does!

But when you see him run at defenders the way did today, it begs the question why he doesn’t do it more often? Frank clearly knows what a talent he is and has steadfastly stuck by Tom when others - including myself - have questioned his desire, commitment and deserving of a  regular place in the side.

So what is required to make our Tom play more like he did today more often? Thoughts?

Confidence ,feeling loved ,more money.

26 minutes ago, Derbyram1 said:

Incredible today, man of the match for me!!

Tom has all of today’s performance in his locker. He’s got talent, pace, can weave his way through a crowd and score.

Lampard will get the best out of him and he’s ours whatever league next year. Find that consistency and we have an hell of a player.

Agree with his man of the match billing today. Of our three similar attacking talents in Mount, Wilson and Lawrence, it was Tom at the fore for today's game. And what an incredible run weaving past player after player for the penalty. 

All three of these immensely talented lads will have a part to play in the games to come, but today belonged to Mr Lawrence. Take a bow, sir! 

1 hour ago, ramtique said:

It is glaringly obvious that he is a massive confidence players who needs to feel loved, valued and respected. You can see how he interacts with the fans and fellow players when he is doing well and when he isn't making an impression in games.

He was right on it today, the fans were supporting him and he had a fantastic game. If we want the best from him, a player who can win game single handedly, we have to support him, cheer him, motivate him. It is clear that moaning, jeering and frustration does not help "improve" his performance, in fact it simply makes him think "duck you" to an element of our fan base.

Some fans now need to make a decision. What would I like best? Tom to potentially win us games, or my desperate need to be proven correct about him being useless and a waste of oxygen (terms I've seen on here) cone to fruition?

1 minute ago, KBB said:

It is glaringly obvious that he is a massive confidence players who needs to feel loved, valued and respected. You can see how he interacts with the fans and fellow players when he is doing well and when he isn't making an impression in games.

He was right on it today, the fans were supporting him and he had a fantastic game. If we want the best from him, a player who can win game single handedly, we have to support him, cheer him, motivate him. It is clear that moaning, jeering and frustration does not help "improve" his performance, in fact it simply makes him think "duck you" to an element of our fan base.

Some fans now need to make a decision. What would I like best? Tom to potentially win us games, or my desperate need to be proven correct about him being useless and a waste of oxygen (terms I've seen on here) cone to fruition?

I've used similar terms on here, but never at a match, because I attend to support, and post critiques on here after the event.

What makes such a position hard to understand?

I've bloody loved him the last 3 games after being unimpressed pretty much all season before, but he wouldn't know it on the pitch because I've never wavered from cheering him on.

Are you suggesting our fanbase is so unintelligent they can't separate support at the match from criticism away from it?

He did very well today and recently which is all the more frustrating that he goes completely missing for chunks of the season - if he put that amount of effort into every game he would do very well for himself 

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Are you suggesting our fanbase is so unintelligent they can't separate support at the match from criticism away from it?

There are some that can't, unfortunately. 

26 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

No of course not. Im suggesting our fan base are so unintelligent they can't understand that a player needs support, love and applause in order for him to play his best and if he is playing crap (which he often does), the best way for him to turn this around tends to directly link to the amount of poo he takes from the stands.

Most of our fans, me included are intelligent enough to realise they forum opinion has chuff all relevance to match day outcomes. The other? I'm not so sure.

Am I the only person that didn't think he dived today? Reading on Twitter you'd have thought he threw himself to the ground with no one in a 20 yard radius of him, but to me it looked like he got a knock on his trailing foot which threw him off balance when he planted it and, at that speed, that was enough to throw him off and bring him down. Seems strange hearing the commentators saying there's no contact when, to me, there looked to be that at the very least.

Just now, JfR said:

Am I the only person that didn't think he dived today? Reading on Twitter you'd have thought he threw himself to the ground with no one in a 20 yard radius of him, but to me it looked like he got a knock on his trailing foot which threw him off balance when he planted it and, at that speed, that was enough to throw him off and bring him down. Seems strange hearing the commentators saying there's no contact when, to me, there looked to be that at the very least.

No you are not the only one. I thought it was a penalty in the ground, and still do. 

9 minutes ago, JfR said:

The pundits after the game said it was a penalty. 

I didn’t see the contact at first, but it was there. A penalty for me.

Yep, even if minimal, it’s still contact. The Bamford thing was totally different scenario. It would be very harsh on Tom if he gets a retrospective ban.

Just to add, this is how it was reported by the BBC on live updates;

Posted at 14:01 5 May14:01 5 May

And now the Rams have a chance to extend their lead, as Kyle Bartley clips Tom Lawrence in the box! It was a great run from the Wales winger...

Sith Happens
11 hours ago, JfR said:

He did get his foot taken. Must admit had i been a west brom fan watching live, i would be convinced he dived.

When i saw the highlights my first view was, oh that looks bad, but on watching the different angle he has his foot taken and at the pace he was going he was going to go over.

Have seen alot of comments myself, just leeds fans who think there is a conspiracy against them.

Archived