Tom Lawrence

Big Trav

On 20/04/2019 at 20:31, LeedsRam1999 said:

When he played in the centre of midfield under Rowett he looked his best. Able to drive at defences, and try make things happen. He would be good breaking late into the box like prime Bryson as well. Reckon that should be given a go over Bryson. 

Lawrence has never played as a centre midfield for us, not that I can remember anyway. And I hope we never see that either. He’s not composed enough to play there , doesn’t have great vision or dribbling and doesn’t have the workrate to make up for that

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20/04/2019 at 21:20, plymouthram said:

Agree with this more consistency would make him a better player and his confidence would grow.

I’d say the confidence part is one of the reasons Lawrence hasn’t impressed greatly. And what I mean by that is that he has TOO much confidence, he thinks he’s Ronaldo so he shoots from ridiculous angles, thinks he’s too good to track back and ‘graft’ like a Bennett, passes into positions that put his teammates under pressure and dribbles into alleyways. He grew up in Man Utd academy when Ronaldo was there and probably wants to replicate him, a bit too much.

I’d argue that Lawrence played better when he ‘lacked confidence’ like in the spell where we beat West Brom 4-1, because he was more of a team player then for me. Stark contrast to others who completely fell off when they lacked confidence.

In a strange way I think the more criticism Lawrence gets, the more likely he is to play for the team rather than be a primadonna

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Lawrence has never played as a centre midfield for us, not that I can remember anyway. And I hope we never see that either. He’s not composed enough to play there , doesn’t have great vision or dribbling and doesn’t have the workrate to make up for that

Lawrence, like a number of our players, would like to play in the hole, behind the striker. I think he would be excellent there, but we are not set up to play that way, which would be either a 4-4-1-1 or 3-5-1-1 formation.

1 minute ago, Derbyram1 said:

Oh ok, thought he played ok against brum tbh.

I agree. He was making good runs but not being picked out by players. 

That's my point, really - he's not in the best of form but he's far from as bad as some people make out. 

For a player that gets a lot of stick on this forum it seems he has many fans that are actually watching him week in week out that swarm around him outside the ground after.

He spend 20mins signing shirts, posing for pics and chatting with Mel who is obviously a big fan of Toms from what I could hear.

Frank rates him, Jody rates him and the owner really rates him....perhaps some dcfcfans on this forum should take note and get behind him for the last few games.

I don't get the severe dislike of his 'attitude'. He seems to have good rapport with the other players, clearly a good relationship with Frank and when interviewed seems like a polite nice guy. 

Proper gash today, especially early when he and Johnno set the tone for a shockingly slack start first 15 minutes. Still a matchwinner. Still start him next up. Talent is there, and it's always threatening to deliver. Sometimes does, sometimes doesn't, but keep the faith.

1 hour ago, Derbyram1 said:

For a player that gets a lot of stick on this forum it seems he has many fans that are actually watching him week in week out that swarm around him outside the ground after.

He spend 20mins signing shirts, posing for pics and chatting with Mel who is obviously a big fan of Toms from what I could hear.

Frank rates him, Jody rates him and the owner really rates him....perhaps some dcfcfans on this forum should take note and get behind him for the last few games.

If all those people love him then why would you or him care about a few people on a message board. He isn't forced to read this. If he reads negative posts then he can read yours too. 

I'm with revel. I don't think he's much good either. I keep seeing stuff like "Well  Frank Lampard who has won xyz thinks he's good and I think he knows more about football than you" 

Cool. 

So... if we say he's great then that means feck all either because I'm not a European Cup winner. Basically our opinion carries no weight. So what difference does it make whether we are "behind him" or not.

Although I do insist on always asking if it's not possible to think he's crap but still get behind him on the matchday. 

I mean I'm not hanging around his house booing him while he's mowing the grass. I'm on here talking about Derby with you lot. If Tom wants to read it then that's up to him. Who signed up here to massage the ego of any footballer? I'll swap jobs with him. You can say what you like about me. I wouldn't be reading this. I'd be crashing a Lamborghini or harassing glamour models. I'd appreciate support but haters are part of the game. Fans and haters are part of all sports. Theres a line but nobody on this thread has crossed it.

A very frustrating player to watch.

Could easily be the best player on the pitch but just as easily he can be the worst.

He is his own worst enemy and gets his head down when things don’t go his way. I just wish he was more like Waghorn, Bennett, Bryson or even Johnson...as soon as they make a mistake they try to recover it rather than dwelling on what happened.

I wouldn’t drop him purely because he’s better than what we currently have. I just hope experience turns him in to a better player mentally. 

9 hours ago, angieram said:

No, our fans were cheering the substitution - middle behind goal. Not saying it was universal but it was noticeable. 

A couple of fans did this in front of me as well! Absolute disgrace! Fans for the most part were brilliant apart from these morons who are not supporting their team. 

49 minutes ago, Alpha said:

If all those people love him then why would you or him care about a few people on a message board. He isn't forced to read this. If he reads negative posts then he can read yours too. 

I'm with revel. I don't think he's much good either. I keep seeing stuff like "Well  Frank Lampard who has won xyz thinks he's good and I think he knows more about football than you" 

Cool. 

So... if we say he's great then that means feck all either because I'm not a European Cup winner. Basically our opinion carries no weight. So what difference does it make whether we are "behind him" or not.

Although I do insist on always asking if it's not possible to think he's crap but still get behind him on the matchday. 

I mean I'm not hanging around his house booing him while he's mowing the grass. I'm on here talking about Derby with you lot. If Tom wants to read it then that's up to him. Who signed up here to massage the ego of any footballer? I'll swap jobs with him. You can say what you like about me. I wouldn't be reading this. I'd be crashing a Lamborghini or harassing glamour models. I'd appreciate support but haters are part of the game. Fans and haters are part of all sports. Theres a line but nobody on this thread has crossed it.

Support your team, support your players....I don’t care what you think but constant criticism does not help anyone.

I think he has potential like I've stated before but needs to sort out his attitude/decision making and most of all, consistency. That being said, he is simply not a winger. Take a look at Southampton at home in the FA cup a few months back. He excelled in that game with Jack Marriott. That is how we get the best out of him.

8 hours ago, Derbyram1 said:

Support your team, support your players....I don’t care what you think but constant criticism does not help anyone.

So the forum should be a place of cheerleading? 

Are we here to talk about football or to stroke egos? 

If I think Joe Bloggs is crap then this isn't the place to talk about his performances. If Joe Bloggs is a striker and has scored 1 in 20 then I should really focus on that 1 goal and then maybe thanks to this forum he'll sort himself out?

Are you assuming that people that criticise players on here are not encouraging them at the matches?

I don't get this forum cheerleading thing. There are moaners that find negatives in everything and there's people that find positives in everything. There are balanced people too. It's a forum built on opinions. Give out scripts and watch it die.

As soon as Holmes is fit, I’d get him in the team ahead of Lawrence. I keep reading that Lawrence is a match winner. How many games has he scored winning goals since he’s been here? We can’t keep playing him in the hope that he scores because his general play is terrible , we can’t afford to as we need consistency at this stage of the season. He is as likely to have a 3/10 as he is to have a 7/10. When he’s not playing well it’s like playing with 10 men.

Maybe fans would get off his back if he works harder defensively or at least did something? I get the argument that there’s no point him running around because he needs to conserve energy to impact the game positively. But he doesn’t even do that so he needs to make up for it in other areas. That’s why the fans loved Ward, Russell and Bryson, because we could see they worked hard even when they were playing badly. We could afford to have him strolling around if he was scoring goals every week. I don’t hate the guy , I just wish he stopped thinking he’s Ronaldo when he’s not.  We need players who are reliable at this point, which Holmes is. I’d love to see Mount, Wilson, Holmes, Marriott and Waghorn play together. 

13 minutes ago, McLovin said:

As soon as Holmes is fit, I’d get him in the team ahead of Lawrence. I keep reading that Lawrence is a match winner. How many games has he scored winning goals since he’s been here? We can’t keep playing him in the hope that he scores because his general play is terrible , we can’t afford to as we need consistency at this stage of the season. He is as likely to have a 3/10 as he is to have a 7/10. When he’s not playing well it’s like playing with 10 men.

Absolute balderdash

1) I don't want Holmes on the wing - I want him bursting through central midfield

2) Lawrence is quality

Archived