Johnny Russell

Big Trav

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never was that great. Decent, but not that great. Far too many awful matches and for what he made up in endeavour, he lacked in quality. Remembered better because he once played in an absolutely brilliant team made better than the sum of its more average parts by the genius albino in the middle of the park. Like most players from that era, we’ve had players who are much better than them in recent years, just not remembered as fondly cause the teams were not as good as the sum of their parts.

Put Tom Lawrence in that 13/14 team and he’s remembered just as fondly.

*puts tin hat on*

I'm waiting for the day someone tells us Stephen Pearson was a footballing legend and we were lucky to have him. 

We all love reminding ourselves of a time when the club was much more simple, and playoffs were a dream, not an expectation, but let's not sugar coat it. 

He averaged a goal or an assist every 163 minutes for us. If you ignore 16/17 which was an anomaly then it’s reduced to every 140 minutes. 

Like Bryson he’s much maligned as ‘average but hard working’. You need players with the energy and football intelligence to make selfless off the ball runs that stretch the play, create space and create options. 

He had a role and made our rotations work and he had an excellent goal contribution output. 

8 hours ago, cannable said:

If you ignore 16/17 which was an anomaly then ......

You expect to win your case ????

Distinctly average player - headless chicken runner far too often, though better at defending tan some other of our forwards.

Wanting to see him back would only be justified if we had dropped back in standard also.

9 hours ago, cannable said:

He averaged a goal or an assist every 163 minutes for us. If you ignore 16/17 which was an anomaly then it’s reduced to every 140 minutes. 

Like Bryson he’s much maligned as ‘average but hard working’. You need players with the energy and football intelligence to make selfless off the ball runs that stretch the play, create space and create options. 

He had a role and made our rotations work and he had an excellent goal contribution output. 

I think this point was highlighted by the Tom Ince versus Andy Weiman in the two Hull playoff games, Ince squashed us up and Weiman gave us more space to play in.

I loved watching Johnny and to be honest he was a great asset to any full back playing behind him.

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

You expect to win your case ????

Distinctly average player - headless chicken runner far too often, though better at defending tan some other of our forwards.

Wanting to see him back would only be justified if we had dropped back in standard also.

It’s proper mad how people can read a whole post and only sponge one point… right then, even if you include 16/17 he managed a goal or an assist every 160 minutes for us on average. 

One-hundred and sixty. 

Extrapolated over a full Championship season that would be 26 goals or assists. 

Depends what you define as average, I suppose

14 hours ago, Big Trav said:

Was watching older videos of us a couple years ago and it reminds me how much I miss this beautiful man and hope he returns to us some day 

Yeh - I miss him too ?

14 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Never was that great. Decent, but not that great. Far too many awful matches and for what he made up in endeavour, he lacked in quality. 

Put Tom Lawrence in that 13/14 team and he’s remembered just as fondly.

Lawrence definitely better - Without a doubt

But, I'd take Russell back ahead of FloJo at the moment and possibly Bennett - In a team where we need to rotate winger/wide-men he'd thrive (as he did in 13/14)

10 hours ago, cannable said:

It would be interesting to see if any other players create a goal every other game

Would still be a better wing option than Jozefzoon and Bennett in my opinion. His absence was obvious towards the back end of last season. One of those who fans moaned about at the time but now he's gone you could see his value.  

Not a starter but certainly an option from the bench in our current set up. 

26 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh - I miss him too ?

Lawrence definitely better - Without a doubt

But, I'd take Russell back ahead of FloJo at the moment and possibly Bennett - In a team where we need to rotate winger/wide-men he'd thrive (as he did in 13/14)

It would be interesting to see if any other players create a goal every other game

Ince was a goal or an assist every 165 minutes!

2 hours ago, cannable said:

It’s proper mad how people can read a whole post and only sponge one point… right then, even if you include 16/17 he managed a goal or an assist every 160 minutes for us on average. 

One-hundred and sixty. 

Still love the guy but I didn't realise his stats were that good, to be honest. Thanks for sharing that.

12 hours ago, cannable said:

One-hundred and sixty. 

Ince was a goal or an assist every 165 minutes!

I work it out a bit different.

Johnny Russell

17/18 - 1293 minutes, 4 goals, 2 assists
16/17 - 2441 minutes, 2 goals, 4 assists
15/16 - 3248 minutes, 10 goals, 8 assists
14/15 - 2488 minutes, 6 goals, 8 assists
13/14 - 2302 minutes, 9 goals, 1 assist

Total minutes: 11,772 

Total Goals & Assists: 54

Goal or assist every 218 minutes (2.4 games)

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/27687/History/Johnny-Russell

Tom Ince

16/17 - 3608 minutes, 14 goals, 6 assists
15/16 - 3363 minutes, 12 goals, 8 assists
14/15 - 1604 minutes, 11 goals, 1 assist

Total minutes: 8575 

Total Goals & Assists: 52

Goal or assist every 164 minutes (1.8 games)

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/90918/History/Tom-Ince

24 minutes ago, David said:

I work it out a bit different.

Johnny Russell

17/18 - 1293 minutes, 4 goals, 2 assists
16/17 - 2441 minutes, 2 goals, 4 assists
15/16 - 3248 minutes, 10 goals, 8 assists
14/15 - 2488 minutes, 6 goals, 8 assists
13/14 - 2302 minutes, 9 goals, 1 assist

Total minutes: 11,772 

Total Goals & Assists: 54

Goal or assist every 218 minutes (2.4 games)

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/27687/History/Johnny-Russell

Tom Ince

16/17 - 3608 minutes, 14 goals, 6 assists
15/16 - 3363 minutes, 12 goals, 8 assists
14/15 - 1604 minutes, 11 goals, 1 assist

Total minutes: 8575 

Total Goals & Assists: 52

Goal or assist every 164 minutes (1.8 games)

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/90918/History/Tom-Ince

Whoscored hasn’t included cup, although  I suppose that shows he particularly enjoyed playing in them!

But I was more trying to illustrate that for a player that some are saying they’d rather play with 10 men he produced a hell of a lot for us!

Archived