Johnny Russell

Big Trav

It is weird though - stats cannot tell you everything

A run which pulls the defence a little wider that opens up space for others does not count as an assist or even a touch.

And a great run with the ball, a cross to someone who lays it off for someone else to score does not count either.

Personally I prefer the Johnny mould to the Ince or Lawrence one, lets call them grafters and show ponies

The show ponies tend to do things which improve their stats but the grafters are more in it for the team.

Do not get me wrong having a show pony or even two in your team can be great - but imho they have to be great and turn it on pretty regularly especially in an above average (but not great) championship team.

Our teams over the last ten years do not seem to have been good enough to carry that luxury.

Would I take him back - probably not

If I had to take him or Ince back, if we still have lawrence in the squad I would have to go for Johnny. Probably would anyway to be honest

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, cannable said:

Whoscored hasn’t included cup, although  I suppose that shows he particularly enjoyed playing in them!

Ahh, thought that may have been the case but you threw me off with "Extrapolated over a full Championship season that would be 26 goals or assists."

I suppose we have to compare them with the players that replaced them.

Ince v Wilson: Both have scored great goals for us, but I think Ince gave us more than Wilson currently does.

Lawrence v Russell: Talent wise Lawrence is better but Russell (not talentless!) gave us more ball winning capability. Problem with Russell is that he could be very wasteful in a headless chicken way. Pity he never became more composed with experience.

19 hours ago, David said:

I work it out a bit different.

Johnny Russell

17/18 - 1293 minutes, 4 goals, 2 assists
16/17 - 2441 minutes, 2 goals, 4 assists
15/16 - 3248 minutes, 10 goals, 8 assists
14/15 - 2488 minutes, 6 goals, 8 assists
13/14 - 2302 minutes, 9 goals, 1 assist

Total minutes: 11,772 

Total Goals & Assists: 54

Goal or assist every 218 minutes (2.4 games)

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/27687/History/Johnny-Russell

Tom Ince

16/17 - 3608 minutes, 14 goals, 6 assists
15/16 - 3363 minutes, 12 goals, 8 assists
14/15 - 1604 minutes, 11 goals, 1 assist

Total minutes: 8575 

Total Goals & Assists: 52

Goal or assist every 164 minutes (1.8 games)

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/90918/History/Tom-Ince

Whilst Ince was good playing on the right where he could cut inside he did next to nothing playing anywhere else and the team had to be set up to suit him whereas Russell was used all across the front with all kinds of systems 

20 hours ago, SilentRam said:

I would genuinely rather play with ten men. Most over rated player we have had in the past few years. Glad he has found his level in Kansas. 

Worst post I’ve seen in a long time. 

Really? You’d rather us play with ten men? 

Take your head for a wobble. 

18 hours ago, KCG said:

I suppose we have to compare them with the players that replaced them.

Ince v Wilson: Both have scored great goals for us, but I think Ince gave us more than Wilson currently does.

Lawrence v Russell: Talent wise Lawrence is better but Russell (not talentless!) gave us more ball winning capability. Problem with Russell is that he could be very wasteful in a headless chicken way. Pity he never became more composed with experience.

I find Lawrence to be headless in a different way - often missing the right pass once he has got his head down.

9 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Whilst Ince was good playing on the right where he could cut inside he did next to nothing playing anywhere else and the team had to be set up to suit him whereas Russell was used all across the front with all kinds of systems 

I’m not sure that’s entirely fair. He played on the left under Wassall and was like Dawkins but with end product. 

He was absolutely lethal as a #10 in a 4-2-3-1 as well.

He only really struggled under Clement, who didn’t give him any freedom, bar the odd game at #10.

8 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

have to say he's much improved since his injury with not choosing to shoot every time.

I agree, he has improved but the one time he should have shot on Saturday he decided to pass and the chance was gone

On 02/04/2019 at 12:48, coneheadjohn said:

Love JR,didn’t Rowett break him?

Maybe that’s unfair on Rowett but didn’t something happen that season and he was left out of the squad?

I’m sure he could have done a good job in our current squad.

He wanted to leave, because of the Rowett ball style football and his agent convinced him to go to USA. I see he makes trips back to UK to team up with Scotland. Yes I would agree Johnny would thrive in the Lampard Style of football.

Jonny had his best football playing with Chris Martin and Will Hughes. He struggled before Rowett came in, under Rowett his form actually improved again. I wish he was here now and part of this squad. Would offer so much more than Jozefzoon and probably Bennett also (though I like Bennett and he’s done ok when fit). He would be genuine competition for the likes of Lawrence Wilson and Holmes.

8 hours ago, plymouthram said:

He wanted to leave, because of the Rowett ball style football and his agent convinced him to go to USA. I see he makes trips back to UK to team up with Scotland. Yes I would agree Johnny would thrive in the Lampard Style of football.

Where has he said that? If you’re referring to the comments he made about falling out of love with the game, one fan sent him a message on social media and confirmed it was due to people no longer at the club. Rowett obviously was at the time.

I spoke to him when Mac was manager and his confidence was low.

I thanked him for scoring that end of season belter against Bolton(which won us 50 quid) and he remarked about how long ago that was and how he hadn’t scored enough.

I thought he came into some form under Rowett for a spell?

I remember him getting a standing ovation when he was subbed v Preston at home.

Only stopped smiling when he talked about his form.

2 hours ago, David said:

Where has he said that? If you’re referring to the comments he made about falling out of love with the game, one fan sent him a message on social media and confirmed it was due to people no longer at the club. Rowett obviously was at the time.

Over the summer after the Hull game... 

Didn't we appoint Pearson right after the playoffs that year?

(Just speculation but I do enjoy potential new things to blame Pearson for)

Archived