The Politics Thread 2019

Day

29 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Must be serious if they've made their own Wikipedia page about it. Open and shut case. Probably not even any point carrying out the investigation. 

There's definitely an argument to be answered for some of the things said during the campaign for London Mayor. The letterbox comment was particularly crass considering the timing. 

Do I think he's anti Islam? No idea. Do I think he's an idiot prepared to use inflammatory language an times when deescalation would be preferred? Absolutely. 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

How about the darling of the grassroots and bookies' favourite to become the next leader of the party comparing Muslim women to letter boxes?

The content was a bit iffy, but it was a first class delivery.

54 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

OK fair comments, still not sure what either has to do with Islamophobia though.

Would you not suggest that Labour's antisemitism problem would be made worse by Jeremy Corbyn, for example, commenting on the size of Jewish people's noses? Or laughing about their kippahs? 

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Would you not suggest that Labour's antisemitism problem would be made worse by Jeremy Corbyn, for example, commenting on the size of Jewish people's noses? Or laughing about their kippahs? 

It depends, I think I find it pretty easy to differentiate between jokes and inflammatory comments. Unfortunately a lot of people have a default setting of everything being said is offensive unless proven otherwise.

15 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

A prospective prime minister should not be making that sort of joke if he wants to govern a country that is experiencing a fair amount of racial/religious tension. It’s something you’d expect from Family Guy.

On a somewhat similar issue, how about his use of the phrase ‘flag-waving piccaninnies’? And he was still appointed foreign secretary!

Reasonable people might agree with you, but inflammatory rhetoric resonates with his supporters - as is evident from this thread.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It depends, I think I find it pretty easy to differentiate between jokes and inflammatory comments. Unfortunately a lot of people have a default setting of everything being said is offensive unless proven otherwise.

You're probably right. I get pissed off by Boris Johnson making the letter box joke yet will laugh along at Family Guy, which is a lot worse. I just think a prospective PM making those jokes is terrible considering the racial and religious tension in certain areas. I'm also biased by the fact that I absolutely despite the man. 

53 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

That's a very frank assessment 

This is enveloping the forum and needs stamping out.

20 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

People talk about the Westminster bubble. It's not that - it's a Bedford, Hastings and Warwick bubble. These are taken from official lists of Labour and Conservative 'targets' - the existence of which tends to illuminate my point.

You are right there - its about 73 seats that decide it all.

It's what will see Corbyn fail - he is marmite and he won't win in those places - Worcester, Northampton South etc. He has also done nothing to win Scotland back for Labour, which historically got a solid 30 seats north of the border minimum.

However, if Farage splits the Tory vote - he could get in .....

Still vote though folks ..., your vote matters and a lot of people died so you could stand in the polling booth.

25 minutes ago, Norman said:

Corbyn will be gone next week, imo.

I sincerely hope so, but I'm not so sure. I think that he will continue to fudge and fumble, but one day the fence he is sitting on will penetrate his rectum good and proper.

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Corbyn will be gone next week, imo.

His strategy for BREXIT was to have no opinion ... and he has even messed that up.

I think he had his Trump style breakthrough moment at the last GE - May had run an awful campaign and UKIP suppressed plus he had a sort of Leave manifesto - he STILL missed the winning line.

A lot of people disenchanted with him in Labour support, he still has the 500,000 rolly-eyed loonies of Momentum with him though.

Not next week, but soon. 

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Must be serious if they've made their own Wikipedia page about it. Open and shut case. Probably not even any point carrying out the investigation. 

Quite a flippant answer for someone who seems adamant that there is no islamaphobia in the Tory party!

Who do we believe - Baroness Warsi and actual tory and an actual muslim - or some right-wing geezer on a football forum? haha

thought I'd take us in a slightly different direction - an interesting analysis from the New York Times on Nigel Farage's political movement and how astute he has been at finding the sweet spot (for him) in the current fairly dire situation.

I hadn't thought about how the mechanics of the Brexit Party were alike to his early city trading environment but there are some similarities!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/editorpicks/nigel-farage-is-the-most-dangerous-man-in-britain/ar-AAC3NbT?ocid=spartandhp

2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Quite a flippant answer for someone who seems adamant that there is no islamaphobia in the Tory party!

Who do we believe - Baroness Warsi and actual tory and an actual muslim - or some right-wing geezer on a football forum? haha

I don't believe anyone, I do my own research.

Baroness Warsi and Nazir Afzal obviously have their own innate biases.  They are also playing down any issues and deflecting problems so as not to inflame racial tensions. 

Likewise anyone that says there is no 'islamophobia' in the tory party isn't open to the possibility there is.

The truth, like in most things, often lies somewhere in the middle and is best discovered through open and honest conversation - unfortunately thats not what a minority of regressive vocal activists want these days, they want control of the narrative and the end of any debate, dare to cross them and you'll have things you've said either wilfully or ignorantly misconstrued and be labelled racist.

Sound familiar? We see you mate.

Archived